Politics?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right here in this board there is political discussion going on that is obviously acceptable. Especially to that certain moderator.

The President of CAB is coming to my meat science class

Now it starts out seemingly innocent. But this guy/gal is an elected person right? Then they get off on the political issues. My brangus are more angus that much of the "CAB" products.

Other folks can make statements much less political than that thread, and it would have been locked up or deleted right off the bat. We've all seen it. POOF its gone.

A certain lady came on talking about a democrat running for office in Texas with a name that was way out there. It ran three pages and actually discussed the office and election. That was overwhelmingly more political that many of the deleted political statements.

That is how it is in this forum. Anything CAB is acceptable including discussions of elected officers - so long as it is one sided. Most anything leaning left is acceptable. What other explanation can you have for this dude that ran for Texas Governor that got all the posts?

Everyone should have to play by the same rules.

All of this is very unfortunate. When one chooses to venture outside the objectives of CT, all parties involved and viewers share in the consequences of discussing some social issues. It appears alot is being risked in the name of social issues some of which fester into social satire and serve no real purpose other than to undermine the objectives of CT. What is there to be gained? Who wins? Seems like a big waste of time and energy.
Bear

To me, there is but one place to express your opinion on politics, and that is the polls. If all good people would vote, I can guarantee that you will be heard.

I'm not going to express an opinion on the subject of the thread - but rather than start another one later, I might as well say it here.

If I disappear in a few weeks, it won't be because of politics or deleted posts. It'll be because I don't have internet access, or cattle. I'll know one way or the other within a fortnight.

While I agree 100% with Backhoe's last post, politics should not be allowed. As things are it's pretty easy to read underlying issues in some folks posts. But I think at times deleting post goes too far. Again (I think Frankie has taken enough of a beating lately so I'm leaving her out of this) this forum needs to be more consistant on what's allowed and what's not. Why delete a spoof video on a polictical figure? or an opinion on public schools vs home schooling. I think these type of issues are harmless, while a discussion on Dems vs. Reps would turn into a mud slinging bunch of lies..... just like the media :D

Alan

I was a moderator of a message board for a lot of years. My goal as a moderator was always to let the conversations be lively, but always be watchful and try to intercept any posts or threads that would prove to be too controversial and polarizing to the community. The black and white posts are really easy to moderate. It's the ones that fall in those gray areas that give you grief. You have to constantly weigh each post and try to balance the flow and desire of the "community" with the message board's rules and goals.

No doubt, no matter how impartial you try to be, your own biases and beliefs can affect some of your decisions as a moderator. Just like referees and umpires, moderators make mistakes too! But all you can do is call them as you see them and know that you'll occasionally make a mistake. And not everyone is going to agree with all your decisions!

I'm betting that the pay for moderating this board is not all that lucrative! And I'm betting that the one(s) who moderate this board aren't doing it for a "power trip", but because they have a genuine desire to help in providing a needed service to the group who posts (and lurks) here. I've seen posts deleted that I wouldn't have and I've seen some survive that I would have zapped, including some of my own - and all would fall in that subjective gray area. I think the moderators here do a very good job overall!

I've been on message boards where there was no moderation - and I sure don't want to see CT degenerate the way those boards did! As Macon said, the inclusion of religion and politics on this board would just serve to make the moderator's job that more difficult and further polarize the CT community. I vote NO! - and realize it is Macon's vote that ultimately counts!

George

ga.prime":hn4rg1vd said:
When's the next CAB election?
Doesn;t matter since Frankie hasn;t been online for a week so you won;t be able to get a rise out of her

dun":55xl63zg said:
ga.prime":55xl63zg said:
Doesn;t matter since Frankie hasn;t been online for a week so you won;t be able to get a rise out of her
I'm a great admirer of Frankie. I was trying to find out when the next CAB election was from the folks that think that President of CAB is an elected position.

I'm reading this politics thread and I'm seeing a "Terry vs Terry" banner at the top of the page. This is a political ad concerning our governor's race and primary coming up in June. Terry Branstad is a republican and the people paying for the ad are democrats so I'm sure it's a very fair ad. Anyone else seeing that? Kind of ironic I think.

dun":lex6ltyw said:
ga.prime":lex6ltyw said:

She has a new name again over at Rachers. Maybe here too.

I would think a person would stay away from where they are not liked.
But then again we have one person thats been booted of here and come back so many times he's about to run out of names. :lol:

Cal

Calman":1pvi4nef said:
But then again we have one person thats been booted of here and come back so many times he's about to run out of names. :lol:

Cal

His next name should be IKE - as in I Know Everything.

backhoeboogie":1p4xj1l6 said:
Calman":1p4xj1l6 said:

Cal

His next name should be IKE - as in I Know Everything.

And the other,ILA-as in I love angus.

No, just a video.......at least it has been changed it to one where he has is mouth closed insead of one looking like a fish, and copyright.

1982vett":1x6gxb4g said:
No, just a video.......at least it has been changed it to one where he has is mouth closed insead of one looking like a fish, and copyright.

Glad it changed. Made me uncomfortable. I don't like the looks of a man staring at me with his mouth open. Kinda reminded me of an encounter I had at a rest stop on I-75.

Jogeephus":4awuw8lt said:
1982vett":4awuw8lt said:

Glad it changed. Made me uncomfortable. I don't like the looks of a man staring at me with his mouth open. Kinda reminded me of an encounter I had at a rest stop on I-75.

:p werent in tennessee was it :cowboy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts