poison ivy in the hay

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Some generous neighbors let me hay their fields which is great given the cost of hay in our area at the moment . . . except someone had some poison ivy in their field . . . . now I'm on benadryl and beer . . . no operating heavy machinery for a while.

The first 24 or so years of my life, I never got poison ivy/oak even when cutting it. Then I laid down in a patch of it one day putting sections in an old haybine, with no shirt on. Dumb.

If I look at it wrong I can get it. I was quartered for it when I was in the army. Fevor and skin blisters. I was a sorry site. I have an eye out for it now but still get it on occasion. I think I miss it when I walk through it then get it on my hands when I take off/put on my boots.

Walt

Clorox is not the way to treat poison ivy. If you just get a slight case you may get away with using Clorox but if you get it bad you will end up with poison ivy and a chimerical burn.
I get it bad when I get it and often have to see the doctor for a shot. It seems to be worse in the fall for me. I think the sap is more concreted in the fall when the leaves turn red.

on small place's i let running water run over it, and soap it good and shave the blisters then pat it dry and hit it with alcohal all as fast as i can then put lotion on it. works for me.

Don't ever burn it. The oils will carry with the smoke and you will have it everywhere. Possibly inside and out.

There is a tube of stuff called Zanfel that is about $35 a tube, but cheaper than a shot and relief is quicker. It's not prescription, but I have to ask for the pharmacist to get it from behind the counter for me at Albertsons..I guess because it's so expensive. You scrub the affected part with it and wash and it breaks the bond between the excrusial sp? oil of the plant and your skin. I heard it on Paul Harvey a couple of years ago and had to use it already this year. Good Luck!

RIght before we went camping this year, i was cleaning up a brushpile... got it all over my hand.
And then, since I sleep with my hands folded nicely next to my face....I woke up with it all over my face!!
Ivarest did the job for me:)

It is kinda crazy...I have never had it anywhere on my body except my hands (until this year!)
Maybe it is the same thing that is happening to the honey bees and the bears..? El Nino :lol:

dyates":1jngq311 said:
Don't ever burn it. The oils will carry with the smoke and you will have it everywhere. Possibly inside and out.

Friend of mine did that. Spent a month in the hospital because of the lessions in his lungs.

CKC1586":39b18sd2 said:
Really, I learned something today. Seems like it would make them sick. :?

One would think that it would. Maybe it's like some people that are not bothered and others it almost kills them.

dun":361b1qns said:
CKC1586":361b1qns said:
Really, I learned something today. Seems like it would make them sick. :?

One would think that it would. Maybe it's like some people that are not bothered and others it almost kills them.
My brother can break out if the wind blows across it and him. Has to get a shot to get rid of it.
There are patches of it in my woods and we have been trying to get rid of it as we find it. Haven't found it in the paddocks. Sure wouldn't want it in any hay!

Poison ivy is a strange thing. The berries can make a human break out pretty bad, but birds eat them all the time. Not sure what it will do to cows. Don't feel like scrapping 20 tons of hay because that probably means the cows will be going to the salebarn. Probably better look into it . . .

CKC1586":16l6pxgp said:
Will cows eat hay with that stuff in it????? :shock:

Yup.

Starting to wonder if I'm the only one that just leaves it alone? The more you mess with it, the worse it gets.

Latest posts