Pneumatic Fence Stapler

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Fixing to build a couple of new traps, weaning pens, sorting pens, etc. Gonna use cut up light poles, Pressure treated 2x6s, and welded wire panels. Not because that's what I want to use but bc I already have the materials. I was thinking that buying a pneumatic staple gun would pay for itself in labor savings pretty quick due to the amount we have to do. Don't know much about them. Staples would have to be galvanized to last in the treated wood. Was looking at a Freeman PFS9. Shoots a 2" staple and has a 7 year limited warranty. Suggestions? Other brands or recommendations? Do it with a hammer?

Sounds good, make sure the poles are in good shape as around here when they replace they are pretty much rotten. I like the hammer suggestion and they have a lifetime warranty.

husky-claw-hammers-n-g16chd-hn-64_1000.jpg

Would be nice if the rental stores had them. And like callmefence said, the staples are very expensive.
In my former oilpatch life I had contractors that used them and they are pretty slick for sure.

Silver said:
Would be nice if the rental stores had them. And like callmefence said, the staples are very expensive.
In my former oilpatch life I had contractors that used them and they are pretty slick for sure.

I'm not opposed to the work. I just thought that it might save a lot of time. Freeman gun is listed for $349. Staples are $90/1000.

Regular 2" staples, best I can tell, are around $40/1000.

So that leaves $400 ($350/gun and $50/staples/per 1000) more for pneumatic.

If a person could drive one staple, by hand, every 30 seconds for 8 hours, that would be 960 staples a day. And I'm pretty sure that ain't happening.

Assuming one had 3000 staples to drive and the gun was twice as fast as hand driving, one would only have to realize $500 in time savings to break even and still have the gun to show for it. So if the hand driving was gonna take 10 days and labor is gonna cost $100/man/day..... you would break even by doing it in 5 days instead of 10.

This is all hypothetical. But we do have a lot to do. Biggest questions are (1) are the guns twice as fast? and (2) do they do as good of a job as the old fashioned way?

I didn't realize the guns could be got for that price now. Last time I checked I thought they were about $1,000 USD or more. Now I'm interested :nod:

Silver said:
I didn't realize the guns could be got for that price now. Last time I checked I thought they were about $1,000 USD or more. Now I'm interested :nod:

Not sure about the quality of that gun Silver. Had a pro recommend a Stockade brand gun. It's a little higher, but he said it would hold up. Gonna do some checking on it and go from there.

JMJ Farms said:
Silver said:

Not sure about the quality of that gun Silver. Had a pro recommend a Stockade brand gun. It's a little higher, but he said it would hold up. Gonna do some checking on it and go from there.

I'm just looking at the Stockades online right now, I see the pneumatic is $840 CAD, cordless version is $1,899 CAD. Yikes.

Silver said:
JMJ Farms said:
Silver said:

I'm just looking at the Stockades online right now, I see the pneumatic is $840 CAD, cordless version is $1,899 CAD. Yikes.

I have a friend in BC that is the Stockade distributor for CA. Axle at FenceFast 877-383-3623 He can fix you up. But if you're in the US, please call my wife.

Latest posts