Planting Rye on top of seeded

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
We had a huge pipeline company pull eminent domain straight through the middle of our property. In the contract, they are planting "Texas Tough" Bermuda mix, We have no choice, but they have been dragging their feet on getting it in the ground. We are now looking at the middle or close to the end of October for them getting it planted. Will it hurt the seed taking if after they do, I spread a winter rye over the acreage? I am in Central Texas, just south of Austin by Bastrop. Thanks in advance for any reply's!

The pipeline company has waited too long to plant bermuda this year. It will not have time to establish before winter. I would plant cereal rye (Elbon, Maton or Wintermore 70) to hold the soil. Next spring, mow it close and lightly disk and then seed the Texas Tough.

Hold their feet to the fire to put your place back in order.

No. Same pipline I reckon just went through one of my places. Sow your rye just ahead of them if you can
They will be planting with a brillion seeder that will plant your rye as well. Texas tough contains a percentage of unhulled seed, and it's the perfect time of year for that. Getting late for the hulled seed it contains.

Have them plant a good pipeline mix instead. (Call Turner seed for it)It won't be as good as a stand of Tex Tough but it will have grass for all seasons.

Latest posts