Pistol or revolver?

Help Support CattleToday:

Been thinking on this and I think two is good advice. A shotgun for sure but like mentioned you can't be walking around all the time with a shotgun and a gun is useless if its not with you when you need it so I'd also suggest a pistol. I'm not a fan of people who walk around with a big elephant killers on their side. Sure I have a few of these but they are uncomfortable and if I were ever to rob a store or do something really stupid the first person I'm going to shoot is the fella with the gun on his side. Additionally, you mentioned these people were armed. I would think that if worst came to worse and you met up with these people then your having a pistol on your side would make them more trigger happy than if they thought you were unarmed. This is why I'd suggest getting something small like a Ruger LCP in the .380 cal or something similar. With a wallet holster you can keep this in your pocket and you will forget its even there. Its got a heavy pull on the trigger and the hammer is internal so you can shoot it from you coat pocket if you need to. It doesn't kick but it packs the punch. Another good thing about them is they are washing machine resistant.

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm

Whatever you decide on keep some form of hearing protection with it. The electronic ones that kill the gunfire sounds but allow you to hear normal sounds would be my suggestion. It can get ugly in court and even just with the cops if your most common reply to questions is "HUH?"

Craig Miller":1aojyr91 said:
Also with the shotgun theres no worry about the shot going through the walls in your house

You shoot my load's they will go through the wall's.
The shotgun is my weapon of choice for hunting to defense.
Model 97 20" Modified barrel sit's next to it's buddy on the nightstand 1911 45 ACP.
I agree with Dun you need to be familar with a semi.

Jogeephus":2930ba64 said:
Been thinking on this and I think two is good advice. A shotgun for sure but like mentioned you can't be walking around all the time with a shotgun and a gun is useless if its not with you when you need it so I'd also suggest a pistol. I'm not a fan of people who walk around with a big elephant killers on their side. Sure I have a few of these but they are uncomfortable and if I were ever to rob a store or do something really stupid the first person I'm going to shoot is the fella with the gun on his side. Additionally, you mentioned these people were armed. I would think that if worst came to worse and you met up with these people then your having a pistol on your side would make them more trigger happy than if they thought you were unarmed. This is why I'd suggest getting something small like a Ruger LCP in the .380 cal or something similar. With a wallet holster you can keep this in your pocket and you will forget its even there. Its got a heavy pull on the trigger and the hammer is internal so you can shoot it from you coat pocket if you need to. It doesn't kick but it packs the punch. Another good thing about them is they are washing machine resistant.

Jo carry one in my back pocket everywhere I go. Good gun's I have never had a feeding problem with mine either and I have put a ton of round's through it practiceing.

alisonb said:
There have been four armed farm robberies in my area within the last week. :shock:

No matter what or how many guns you have, if a person means you harm and gets the drop on you, you are done. No racking a pump gun for me, I'm locked and loaded. Even my grandkids know it.
I live in a rural area and my first line of defense is two blackmouth curs. They keep me informed.
If I lived in South Africa I might have a pet yard lion.

lynnmcmahan":ojoi2lyq said:
alisonb":ojoi2lyq said:
There have been four armed farm robberies in my area within the last week. :shock:

No matter what or how many guns you have, if a person means you harm and gets the drop on you, you are done. No racking a pump gun for me, I'm locked and loaded. Even my grandkids know it.
I live in a rural area and my first line of defense is two blackmouth curs. They keep me informed.
If I lived in South Africa I might have a pet yard lion.

I agree about an early warning, dog is a good system it can be defeated pretty easily as well.
Why do I have to rack the pump? You hear mine rack it will be for the second shot.
The 1911 is cocked and locked.

Thanks for the input, I have many things to consider :?

If you thought your laws on firearms are tightening please read this, I cannot own a semi/auto without disabling it. I recently sold my shotgun because of all the grief I got from officials. It is just so ridiculous, the criminals have more guns than legal owners. They wait and watch your moves from the dark like cowards, then attack when it is least expected.
http://www.westerncape.gov.za/eng/directories/services/11462/9640

alisonb":aqd95fmb said:
Thanks for the input, I have many things to consider :?

If you thought your laws on firearms are tightening please read this, I cannot own a semi/auto without disabling it. I recently sold my shotgun because of all the grief I got from officials. It is just so ridiculous, the criminals have more guns than legal owners. They wait and watch your moves from the dark like cowards, then attack when it is least expected.
http://www.westerncape.gov.za/eng/directories/services/11462/9640
I would be in violation of every one of those "types and quantity" of guns about 50 times over :) Makes me proud :mrgreen:

Caustic Burno":3v475e7u said:
Jogeephus":3v475e7u said:

Jo carry one in my back pocket everywhere I go. Good gun's I have never had a feeding problem with mine either and I have put a ton of round's through it practiceing.

Me too. I've never pulled it but on two occassions I put my hand on it but it and it was nice to know it was there even though it never left my pocket. I'm waiting for the day that some knitwitt demands my wallet.

I carry the Karr PM9 at work or around the ranch. The shotgun is a great tool when it is applicable.

Try to think of your situations in stages. As an example, if Im getting a gate and some one approaches me the first line is the Karr because it is on me. When its pulled I need to be moving to the truck immediatly to get the heck out of there and go to the stage 2 weapon. So on and so on.

Im not one that feels there is one end all be all tool. I prefer to come with a toolbox full of tools to do the job. ;-)

Jogeephus":207zohni said:

I agree,I carry a S&W Bodyguard in the summer it's bout like a LCP. In the winter I carry a S&W M&P C-40.

Brute 23":leoperfb said:
I carry the Karr PM9 at work or around the ranch. The shotgun is a great tool when it is applicable.

Try to think of your situations in stages. As an example, if Im getting a gate and some one approaches me the first line is the Karr because it is on me. When its pulled I need to be moving to the truck immediatly to get the heck out of there and go to the stage 2 weapon. So on and so on.

Im not one that feels there is one end all be all tool. I prefer to come with a toolbox full of tools to do the job. ;-)

I agree 100% the LCP is not to go to a gunfight with but to get me outta there to a more better weapon.
Just not practical to carry a 1911 on your hip telling the world your carrying a big iron.
Jo it is comforting to know it is is there, ran up on a tresspasser that wanted to get lippy.
I didn't have to pull it but it was in my hand.
Jo I put mag extension's on mine I like the feel a lot better.
http://www.impactguns.com/impact-ruger- ... ion-1.aspx

I share your sentiments about they being only a tool. My hammer could be a weapon or my screwdriver. Of course I'd rather have my leatherman with me at all times than be without any tool at all. Never know when you might need the thing.

Talking about tools, I at times carry a sharpened screw driver(abt 2.5" long) that has a piece of round bar welded on the end to form a T. Fits in a hand quiet well and hardly gets in the way, spose it could do some damage.

What is your opinion on pepper/mace spray? Have a can concealed in every room, not that I want to become paranoid or anything :shock:

alisonb":203134jx said:
Talking about tools, I at times carry a sharpened screw driver(abt 2.5" long) that has a piece of round bar welded on the end to form a T. Fits in a hand quiet well and hardly gets in the way, spose it could do some damage.

What is your opinion on pepper/mace spray? Have a can concealed in every room, not that I want to become paranoid or anything :shock:

Wasp spray is better... sprays 15' and hurts just as bad to the eyes... Hold a lighter in front of it and its a flame thrower... plus it kills wasps

Running Arrow Bill said:
Unless you practice a lot with a S-A Handgun or a Revolver, I'd vote for a semi-automatic or pump shotgun. A 20 guage is adequate. Just be sure to use the largest Buckshot you can find. Skip the "birdshot" as it will only make the enemy MAD unless it is a head shot...lol.

I like # 4 for home protection

dieselbeef":24g9u67a said:
sw 640 airwieght..unless im sleepin or in the factory im wearing it

That's a good gun. Light, short, and easy to handle. I would say look for a model 642. It's a hamerless version of a 640. I will be easier to retireve from a pocket or purse.

Latest posts