Pistol or revolver?

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb":x9xvdtxk said:
Talking about tools, I at times carry a sharpened screw driver(abt 2.5" long) that has a piece of round bar welded on the end to form a T. Fits in a hand quiet well and hardly gets in the way, spose it could do some damage.

What is your opinion on pepper/mace spray? Have a can concealed in every room, not that I want to become paranoid or anything :shock:

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean the people aren't out to get you...

A chain saw bar wrench that is sharpened would work. The screw driver part would be longer for deeper penetration. And I agree with the wasp spray. We get a brand called "Bee Booper", it will spray pretty effectively at 20 feet.

hooknline":qpe602ar said:
Ever known anyone that got hit with #7 at 10 -20ft and a full choke???
Me either.
Not sure of your point but I know one that got hit 2 or 3 times. Not exactly sure of the size shot (they were rabbit hunting) but the distance was greater.
He said it hurt a lot. The shot is still in him.
He also has a .22 slug in him. The shotgun hurt worse.

Know another man that killed a man with birdshot. He was pretty close on him.
I am not advocating birdshot, but in this case it was lethal.

Pepper spray will have varying effects across different people. I got a face full of it in the police academy and it really didn't hinder me all that much. I was still able to function normally... about the same as an allergy attack. Other people were somewhat disabled by it. A few were disabled by it.
I have heard that wasp spray is the way to go but I don't have any experience with it myself.

Ryder":2038earg said:
hooknline":2038earg said:
Me either.
Not sure of your point but I know one that got hit 2 or 3 times. Not exactly sure of the size shot (they were rabbit hunting) but the distance was greater.

Typical home self defense range is inside of 20 ft inside the home. Actually more like 12 ft. At 12 ft the spread of a shotgun even with no choke is ~6". A load of even birdshot at 12 ft with 4" spread will wipe out anything it hits.
Sounds like you need to pick better friends, or your friend has really turned his life around if he has you as a friend.

hooknline":1o6xvlz6 said:
Me either.
I hear that ! Just for grins I popped a 55 gallon drum with an off the shelf 20 Browing Full choke dove load 7.5 a few months ago and from the dent it put in the drum it would have hobbled most grown men.

Ryder":2kultdxx said:
hooknline":2kultdxx said:
Me either.

I have killed a pile of deer, squirrel hunting with a load of 6's out to 12 to 15 yard's.
Put it in the rib cage and they drop like a rock.

I prefer the wheel gun over the semi auto.
There is not much chance of a miss-fire and at a glance you pretty well know what your gun is ready to do.
And I also prefer the double action.

Cal

cow pollinater":2wgik484 said:
Pepper spray will have varying effects across different people. I got a face full of it in the police academy and it really didn't hinder me all that much. I was still able to function normally... about the same as an allergy attack. Other people were somewhat disabled by it. A few were disabled by it.
I have heard that wasp spray is the way to go but I don't have any experience with it myself.

Ditto pepper spray just makes me sneeze but doesnt do anything else to me.. I must say what did give me instant compliance was the TASER LOL... I have wasp spray on the door for my grandmother it sprays much further and im sure will tear your eyes up.

Something I heard about wasp spray the other day is that while water will dilute pepperspray/mace you have to go to the doc to get wasp spray cleaned up. Supposedly makes it easier for the cops to track them down.

hooknline":3oyu751c said:
Ryder":3oyu751c said:
hooknline":3oyu751c said:
Me either.

Typical home self defense range is inside of 20 ft inside the home. Actually more like 12 ft. At 12 ft the spread of a shotgun even with no choke is ~6". A load of even birdshot at 12 ft with 4" spread will wipe out anything it hits.
Sounds like you need to pick better friends, or your friend has really turned his life around if he has you as a friend.
He is/was normally a good guy.
He is now doing life without benefit of parole.

shotgun is great for the home....

I like a wheel gun to carry....reliable and simple....

I use to favor big revolvers...but now my two favorites are both little Taurus 2 Inch barrels.
one is a 357 mag and it is my carry gun.
the other is a judge with the shorter chamber. it is my truck gun.

I was with my neighbor over the weekend and he mentioned a Judge and said he had considered getting one but did not know if he could handle the power....I said lets find out and pulled out mine....

i showed it to him and shot it a couple of times and then he shot it a couple of times. He shot one long colt round and one 410 round and had no problem.....

I shot two colt rounds and one shotgun....we paced it off at about 70 feet after we shot. I had two 45 rounds in the log....he said he was making mental note not to engage me in gunfight.

we were shooting at a piece of log in a brush pile. the log was about 12 inch diameter.

As a young teen I witnessed a man being killed with a 20ga loaded with 6 shot. :( The range was about 1.5 ft. He was dead immediately. He was threatening another guy who stuck the gun barrel out of the window of his pick-up truck. The guy grabbed the shotgun barrel and pulled it toward him. The guy in the truck had his finger on the trigger. It was a real mess. I helped load the dead guy into the back of another truck to rush him down to the local clinic since we didn't have a hospital nearby. Of course he died within seconds of being shot.

pdfangus":yt7b226n said:
shotgun is great for the home....

I like a wheel gun to carry....reliable and simple....

I use to favor big revolvers...but now my two favorites are both little Taurus 2 Inch barrels.
one is a 357 mag and it is my carry gun.
the other is a judge with the shorter chamber. it is my truck gun.

I was with my neighbor over the weekend and he mentioned a Judge and said he had considered getting one but did not know if he could handle the power....I said lets find out and pulled out mine....

i showed it to him and shot it a couple of times and then he shot it a couple of times. He shot one long colt round and one 410 round and had no problem.....

I shot two colt rounds and one shotgun....we paced it off at about 70 feet after we shot. I had two 45 rounds in the log....he said he was making mental note not to engage me in gunfight.

we were shooting at a piece of log in a brush pile. the log was about 12 inch diameter.
When my brother "The Judge" retired, his kids bought him a "Judge" as a retirement present. Until then he had never shot a handgun bigger then a 38 special of mine and my wifes 9mm (that was 20 years before). I had concerns about handling the power of the Judge but he says it isn;t hard to control and he enjoys shooting it a lot.

There is more than one way to skin a cat :D , am writing my competency test for shotgun license next week, I already have license for self defense weapon(pistol or revolver) so obtaining the Ruger will not be a problem. The Ruger GP100 is hard to come by here but I have ordered one, even the second hand Rugers are scarce - especially the stainless steel version. Am now on the look out for a shot gun, have to see what they have to offer in SA. The license can take a while to be issued :roll: .

Here's a link some of you may find interesting, it also confirms what a lot of you said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8

Thanks for the advice :D

If you have kids or other people that live in your house, you are a idiot if you shoot buckshot for home defense. Don't know what kind of training this guy has had?? But wanting to be able to shoot through a wall or through a couch is bull.... If you can't see your target don't shoot. And never aim your gun using the front bead. Focus your eyes on your target not on the guns sights, and the gun will follow your eyes to the target. Practice is always good, and a really easy way to practice is by pointing your finger at stuff as you walk around.

highgrit":1gm83pf9 said:
If you have kids or other people that live in your house, you are a idiot if you shoot buckshot for home defense. Don't know what kind of training this guy has had?? But wanting to be able to shoot through a wall or through a couch is bull.... If you can't see your target don't shoot. And never aim your gun using the front bead. Focus your eyes on your target not on the guns sights, and the gun will follow your eyes to the target. Practice is always good, and a really easy way to practice is by pointing your finger at stuff as you walk around.

I don't know what some of these people have been drinking, don't kid yourself as # 6's will go through wall's as well.
This get's back to most people don't have a clue how a shotgun work's. At 15 to 20' the shot is still with the wad it is virtually a slug.

Caustic Burno":38nlpvdx said:
highgrit":38nlpvdx said:

I don't know what some of these people have been drinking, don't kid yourself as # 6's will go through wall's as well.
This get's back to most people don't have a clue how a shotgun work's. At 15 to 20' the shot is still with the wad it is virtually a slug.
:nod:

alisonb":30a7ap85 said:
There is more than one way to skin a cat :D , am writing my competency test for shotgun license next week, I already have license for self defense weapon(pistol or revolver) so obtaining the Ruger will not be a problem. The Ruger GP100 is hard to come by here but I have ordered one, even the second hand Rugers are scarce - especially the stainless steel version. Am now on the look out for a shot gun, have to see what they have to offer in SA. The license can take a while to be issued :roll: .

Here's a link some of you may find interesting, it also confirms what a lot of you said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8

Thanks for the advice :D

Alison I have been a ruger man for years and have several and love them....but these last two little Taurus revolvers I have gotten shoot real nice as well and are some cheaper... I looked long and hard at a ruger when I bought my Taurus 605....the ruger was a couple hundred bucks more expensive and I am very happy with the Taurus. My buddy who is a deputy sherrif in our county with 26 years experience and has been the department armormer put his hand on my model 605 and smiled broadly and said I like it....just the way it fits the hand and comes right on to the target.

hooknline":34ws8wiu said:
Caustic Burno":34ws8wiu said:
highgrit":34ws8wiu said:

I don't doubt that a load of #6 will go through two layers of sheet rock but by the time it cross that room to the next wall it will have lost an awful lot of its energy and most probably make it through that wall. On the other hand I was in a logging camp in Alaska when a drunk in a poker game decided to show how good his bear rifle was. The bullet went through 5 walls about 18 inches above 9 bunks. Luckly everyone was either laying down or not in their room. Because if someone had been sitting on there bunk the results would not have been good.

Caustic Burno":jm5794v0 said:
highgrit":jm5794v0 said:

I can personally vouch that Caustic is spot on. I missed a coyote at 9 ft with a load of 3.5in #4 buck. At very short range a shot gun has to be aimed, not pointed.

Latest posts