Pistol or revolver?

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
There have been four armed farm robberies in my area within the last week. :shock:

I have a pistol that belonged to my dad that mis feeds and stovepipes which is not the ideal thing to have in case of an emergency :roll: . Was thinking of investing in a Ruger GP 100 .357(4" OR 3"??). It will not be used for carry unless I take it out with me at night when checking a cow or something otherwise it will be kept in the house.

Have been advised to get a revolver and not a pistol for self defense, what would your opinion be? How do you like the Ruger?

Thanks in advance.

That's a good gun. I agree on the revolver they almost always work and you don't need a longer barrel. If you get in trouble it wil almost always be real close anyway.

Just remember don't fire any warning shots if you shoot, shoot to kill. You only want one story told if you have to use that gun.....yours!

The gp100 is a nice revolver. Even with the 6" barrel and using 357 mag rnds it was my wife's favorite to shoot for the short time I had it. And you can always load it with 38's too

Unless you are going to practice practice practice with a semiauto the revolver is the way to go. Better yet since you won;t be carrying it would be a pump 20 ga shotgun

I'd go with the shotgun too. Load it with buckshot and all you gotta do is point it in the general direction and the problem is solved. One of those short barrelled stage coach styles is what I'd go with and they can be had pretty cheap.

dun":22azoleq said:
Unless you are going to practice practice practice with a semiauto the revolver is the way to go. Better yet since you won;t be carrying it would be a pump 20 ga shotgun

Rem 870 youth model 40" long perfect for home protection, snakes, zombies :D

cross_7":35byvvaf said:
dun":35byvvaf said:

Rem 870 youth model 40" long perfect for home protection, snakes, zombies :D

Great little gun. There is one in my family that has floated around from cousin to cousin as they out grew it. It will surprise you the pattern it can hold with that short of a barrel.

Jogeephus":2cxscg1c said:
I'd go with the shotgun too. Load it with buckshot and all you gotta do is point it in the general direction and the problem is solved. One of those short barrelled stage coach styles is what I'd go with and they can be had pretty cheap.
My reason for the pump is more shots and as an instructor once said "Everybody speaks shotgun!" Even if they've never heard a pump being racked it's intuitive what that sound is. In the same vein as that little red dot showing up on your chest

Unless you practice a lot with a S-A Handgun or a Revolver, I'd vote for a semi-automatic or pump shotgun. A 20 guage is adequate. Just be sure to use the largest Buckshot you can find. Skip the "birdshot" as it will only make the enemy MAD unless it is a head shot...lol.

dun":2x7xyycr said:
Jogeephus":2x7xyycr said:
My reason for the pump is more shots and as an instructor once said "Everybody speaks shotgun!" Even if they've never heard a pump being racked it's intuitive what that sound is. In the same vein as that little red dot showing up on your chest

I agree with Dun's statement, the sound of a pump action shotgun being racked is enough to put most through a window to get out of where they shouldn't be. I like the idea of a 20 gauge also, even a 12 gauge with a target load packs a heck of a kick ........ Practice with what ever you decide and always practice safety. I worked a lady years ago that kept a loaded shotgun leaned up against her door, early morning hours she thought she heard something, it fell over and blew her foot off. That's her story, but when she returned to work she was on crutches and missing a foot..... Practice.

dun":201nqh2r said:
Jogeephus":201nqh2r said:
What Jo and Dun said, if you're looking for a home defense weapon, don't practice much, and figure your target probably won't be at long distance.

I grab the shotgun first but a handgun can be pretty handy to. It's hard to pull a shotgun out of the seat of your truck and get on target without getting out but a handgun can sure get on target fast from a seated position.
Why not all three? :cboy: Take the pistol you have out and practice a whole bunch AND get the shotgun and revolver. That way you have options.
In the police academy I put literally thousands of rounds through my glock and I got to where I could clear a stovepipe and keep firing so fast that when the magazine was empty I'd have a hard time remembering that it had jammed on me.

Jogeephus":dsgo69lk said:
With all due respects and highest admiration for the esteemed Jogeephus, I must say that to point a shotgun in the "general" direction in all probability results in a miss.

Don't ask how I know. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ryder":2cas72t1 said:
Jogeephus":2cas72t1 said:
With all due respects and highest admiration for the esteemed Jogeephus, I must say that to point a shotgun in the "general" direction in all probability results in a miss.

You mean you don;t subscribe to the joe biden school of home defence of just shooting through a closed door?

Ryder":oneceqyq said:
Jogeephus":oneceqyq said:

Okay I have to ask .... How do you know? :lol:

Alison, in all seriousness, if you have a friend or family member that can let you shoot any handgun and a shotgun, do it. But first go buy two, two liters of soda pop, shake them a bit for fun, set them about 30 feet away, 10 meters (intruder distance). Take one shot with the handgun, with luck you hit it, maybe you don't, than one shot with a shotgun .... You will hit it. Compare the bottles after you shoot them.

dun":39rc1uu7 said:
Ryder":39rc1uu7 said:
Jogeephus":39rc1uu7 said:

You mean you don;t subscribe to the joe biden school of home defence of just shooting through a closed door?
Some may fall for the Biden :bs: doctrine.
But I don't think you are one of them. :lol: