Pipe through pond dam?

Help Support CattleToday:

snichols264

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put a pipe in an existing pond without draining the water first? At one time there was a man in my area that would install cattle waterers in existing ponds, but he is no longer here. The best thing I can come up with is digging halfway across the dam beginning on the water side (3 feet below the water level) and bury the pipe with one end extending out into the pond and the other end stopping at the center of the dam. After filling and packing that portion, I would did on the oppisite side of the dam and join to the previously buried pipe end and go to the waterer. However, I am concerned that repacking the pond side of the trench will not be possible due to the water keeping the clay too "soupy". Any ideas?

I will work the way you are talking about doing it. Just be sure and put a valve on the end off the pipe in the pond dam. You won't have to cover the whole pipe just enough to keep the water in. I have done a few.

Are you looking to use it to control the water level or to supply a stock tank?
I used a garden hose over the dam to keep a stock tank full for years.

You don't have to dig halfway across the pond. We have done several thuough the years and so far have never had a failure.

Cut 1 1/4 galvinized pipe into 7' sections. Put a cap on one piece, drill a whole bunch of 3/8" holes in the pipe. Use a transit to figure where in the pond you want the pipe to end up, and on the back side find the same place. Dig about a 10' trench with the backhoe, place a really solid board, we use an oak bridge plank, level on the bottom of the trench. Put another cap on the end of your first pipe, lay it on the board, and push with the hoe. When you reach the bank, unscrew the cap, put another 7' piece on in its place, put your push cap back on, and push again.
The farthest I have pushed one is 120'. Unless you hit a rock, or live in South Mo., it will push amazingly strait. You can tell when you get to the water, cuz' water will start coming out when you take the push cap off.
Don't really need a stand pipe in the pond, cuz' the holes are strait out in the pond. Don't aim for the bottom, give yourself some wriggle room. Hope this helps, gs

When putting a pipe through a dam no matter what method you use, put an antiseep collar around the pipe. All it is is something that is tight around the outside of the pipe that will prevent water from seeping along the pipe.
Google anti seep collar for more information

I use a version of what is at this link. With mine, I have an adjustable vent pipe and can start the siphoning at various levels. In the Winter I lower the pond level and work around the edges of the pond. In the Summer I fill the pond to near lipping full. You can restrict the output on the back side of the dam and feed a waterer. This design is less prone to start a weeping or leaking situation and can be put in without digging below water level. The pipe across the dam is to be set at where normal water level is desired. I have built 4 ponds using this method. They are work fine. If you turn the discharge pipe vertical on the outlet side, the energy of the water flowing through will be dissipated and will not wash a hole out.
http://www.aquaticmanagement.com/siphdrain.html

Redbull: Did you use PVC or gavinized? I got 2" schedule 80 but am still concerned about punching a hole in the PVC with a rock when packing back the clay with the backhoe bucket,,,,I may be worrying too much.

JKWilson: The pipe will supply a "freeze proof" waterer, so the water hose wouldn't work for my purpose.

plumber_greg: I'm not in southern MO. but I bet northern AR. would give you a run for your money in the rock department. The numerous rocks and the fact that I only have a mid -sized kubota backhoe scared me away from trying to push it through; although I might be able to dig within 3 or 4 feet of the water and push it the rest of the way.

Dun: Dun got the homemade anti-seep collar and 600 pounds of bentinite ready and waiting.

agmanto: Does your siphon system supply a waterer or only prevent water from going over the dam? If used to fill a waterer, how do you reestablish a prime if pressure is lost, and how reliable is the system? I suppose you would have to have a foot valve in the pond which I was afraid would get some trash in it preventing it from closing completly and would allow the water to drain back to the pond resulting in some thirsty cows. I did like the idea in your link to put a larger diameter pipe over the standpipe to draw water from the bottom and to keep debris away from the supply line.

Thanks to all for the input, I have been "figuring" on this for quite awhile. I sure wish I had put the pipe in when I cleaned the pond out a couple of years ago, would have been a whole lot easier!

Latest posts