Pipe Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

Reaction score
Have new four rail pipe fence in front of the property. It is raw never been painted pipe and not much rust on it. My question is what would be best to prep it with and what would be the best white paint to use on it :?:

Guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last. Cheaper would be primer and enamel. More expensive would be some of the new epoxy stuff. It sticks good and doesn't seem to peel and fade as fast. Whatever you do,if you hire the young neighbor girls to paint for you wearing bikinis you will get all the other neighbors boys over to offer free help to do all your other odd jobs. :shock: :shock:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1kh5fcsr said:
Have new four rail pipe fence in front of the property. It is raw never been painted pipe and not much rust on it. My question is what would be best to prep it with and what would be the best white paint to use on it :?:

Do a search for DTM paint. We use it in industrial apps.

DTM (direct to metal) paint is made by companies other than Sherwin Williams.

Here is one link.

http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/industrialcontractor/fastcladurethanepress.asp

Wewild":oy8u7p2n said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":oy8u7p2n said:

Do a search for DTM paint. We use it in industrial apps.

DTM (direct to metal) paint is made by companies other than Sherwin Williams.

Here is one link.

http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/industrialcontractor/fastcladurethanepress.asp

"CHEM KROMIK"???? EXCELLENT primer, extra work to clean out an airless sprayer, but covers and seals very good! You just have to remind yourself that the extra $$ spent today, saves you more time and $$ in the future.

That ospho is the stuff to use. It is an acid and changes or eats the rust. Works good. Right again Campground.

We also use Ospho and then paint over with "aluminum paint" It takes a long line to dry, but once it sets up it is real good stuff, it is quite shinny though.

I'm looking into the same thing. Looking at a product called Hammerite Rust Cap. One shot direct application, right over the rust. :roll: Sounds good so for. Pricey but so is everything else I've looked into. I'm sure you could find it on the web.

mpr do you realize your not gointo be able to depreciate that fence. with steel prices going up worse than fuel you will have to report passive income. plus somebodys liable to steal it

Years ago we used some purple stuff to get a ship ready for mothballs. You just painted it over the rust then swept the rusty looking stuff away a coule of days later. Supposedly it etched into the steel. When I wanted to get some for a rust job I was told it was off the market. I tried soomestuff resently from Gemplers that you can paint over light rust and it supposedly bonds the tust as a preservative. Tried it twice, worked ok but it doesn;t wear very well.

dun

brokenmouth":1t2lafa0 said:
mpr do you realize your not gointo be able to depreciate that fence. with steel prices going up worse than fuel you will have to report passive income. plus somebodys liable to steal it
:lol: I'm just waitin for the county tax man to make his rounds! :roll:

I tried the hammerite pait right over some rusty pipe and the rust came back through in less then 3 months. Then I used the ospho and aluminum paint. It's worked good so far.

sidney411":2ecezhy4 said:
I tried the hammerite pait right over some rusty pipe and the rust came back through in less then 3 months. Then I used the ospho and aluminum paint. It's worked good so far.

Oh no! :shock: At sixty bucks a gallon so much for that idea. Thanks for the tip Sid.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1gojdw5i said:
$60.00 bucks a gal. for which?

Hammerite rust cap. By american paints I think. Just about anything I've seen to paint rusty pipe or paints and epoxies on an industrial scale is around that price or higher.

Latest posts