Pink eye vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Anybody do this and find that it helps? I don't want a repeat of the battle we had last year. Trying to be proactive and I'm interested in results and experiences. Thanks!

Several years ago we had an epidemic of pinkeye, everythign from baby calves to old cows and the bull. Now in the spring at workup we vaccinate everything for pinkeye, not sure what we use but it isn;t the generic stuff from the feedstore. Haven;t (knock on wood) a single instance of pink eye since.

I vaccinated 150 stockers with it, and well over half ended up with it. That was a few years ago. I gave up on it after that. Since joining the forum, I have gathered that some vaccines may be regional, and work better. An eye swab may even indicate which strain you have, and work a lot better. I meant to look in to that, and haven't yet. I had a bad outbreak last year. I spent over $1500 treating it. I'm glad you posted, because I need to call my vet.

Bigfoot":5vw0qm93 said:
I vaccinated 150 stockers with it, and well over half ended up with it. That was a few years ago. I gave up on it after that. Since joining the forum, I have gathered that some vaccines may be regional, and work better. An eye swab may even indicate which strain you have, and work a lot better. I meant to look in to that, and haven't yet. I had a bad outbreak last year. I spent over $1500 treating it. I'm glad you posted, because I need to call my vet.
A neighbor used the generic stuff from the feed store and had a horrible outbreak of pinkeye. The stuff we use is Maxiguard from Addison Labs

I have been using the feed store stuff, and still treat a few most years. Last year lots of folks had a rough go with it myself included.
I will look into a more specific type of vaccine. I have heard from a friend that a vet had him try a multi-dose time release implant vaccine last year. He thought it worked well.

The Piliguard 1 we get from the vet is around $56.00 for a 100 ml bottle (50 doses; 2cc per). Well worth it in my opinion. I would suggest asking your vet what they recommend, based on region. I helped one of my friends treat numerous cattle (including calves & bulls) last summer when they had an outbreak; spent way more on treating them not to mention having to catch them, move 'em to the corral/chute, etc. Did I mention it was 90 degrees? Yeah, good times =(.

We have had the vet vaccinate for it the past couple of years, after the prior 2 years were bad with pinkeye. We have still had a few get mild cases, but not to where we had to treat it.

Latest posts