Pink Eye - Aggressive (Bigfoot)

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":wp7j7q2r said:
hillside farm":wp7j7q2r said:
We've had alot of it here too. Our veterinarian
To ok eye swabs throughout their practice area and had a local vaccine made

I need to check into that. I should see my vet New Years eve. I'm gonna see what he says.

I am using the local vaccine from Dr. Stansfield here. I will report need spring if it works. The epidemic seems to be losing its momentum here.

kickinbull":1ob4vh7s said:
This worked for us. When we noticed runny eyes, bring up cattle for treatment. Draw 20 ml of codliver oil(plain). Squirt 3 ml in each eye, 14 ml in mouth for 3 days. Cattle effected aren't getting vitamin A from forage. Hedgepeth Farm Supply, Canmer, KY sells mineral for pinkeye. I've never tried it, but comes highly recommended.

That is good to know. I use vitaferm and they are consuming it in large quantities. It has Vit A. I have also been told that footrot is exacerbated by lack of mineral and vitamins. I get a few cases of that too.

Anyone have a general range on how much the testing costs and how much a specially made vaccine would be?

bmoore87":2ropn9zr said:
Anyone have a general range on how much the testing costs and how much a specially made vaccine would be?

In our area it performed as a service by the local big animal vet who does it on a wide basis for all his clients. It is still expensive. A 20 dose bottle is almost $100. I would not think it would be affordable on a single producer basis.

Thanks Inyati. Your right that would be pretty high I'll see if our vet has his own for our area.

We had great luck with running ALL our calves thru the chute and squirting Spectoguard ( the red pig scour medicine) in all their eyes. Completely stopped a bad run of pink eye.

Pinkeye has been a real problem here this year in my herd and few of the neighbour herds it has been a dry summer and I blame it on the dusty windy conditions. It hasn't been a hard one to control as just a good shot of LA 200 would clean it up very seldom would it take two shots. I was watching a vet show on tv and this fellow had a bad case of pinkeye that was hard to control the vet took samples and had a company make up a pinkeye vaccine just for his certain strain. I have never heard of this before has anyone done something similar ?

tamarack":25lk3k8q said:
Pinkeye has been a real problem here this year in my herd and few of the neighbour herds it has been a dry summer and I blame it on the dusty windy conditions. It hasn't been a hard one to control as just a good shot of LA 200 would clean it up very seldom would it take two shots. I was watching a vet show on tv and this fellow had a bad case of pinkeye that was hard to control the vet took samples and had a company make up a pinkeye vaccine just for his certain strain. I have never heard of this before has anyone done something similar ?

Our local vet has prepared a custom-made vaccine based on several years of collecting local samples of the common strains in our area. The two most common species are Moraxella bovis and M. bovoculi. However, there are different strains within the species so some of the M. bovis vaccines do not work. Because the vaccine is custom made, it is only available here through the vet's service. It is expensive. It costs about $100 for a 20 dose bottle. Cannot report to you on how effective it is but one cow vaccinated in the spring with his vaccine did come down with pinkeye. None of my cases have resulted in any longterm effects. I use LA 300 as soon as I see evidence.

Latest posts