Pink Eye - Aggressive (Bigfoot)

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Pink eye is still on a rampage in these parts. Not mine. I see some weeping eyes but no cloudy or white spots. I am watching close. The guy who hauls my cattle to market said half the feeders he has hauled this fall had pink eye damage. Some almost blind!

Bigfoot, still occurring over there?

Yes, a daily occurance. 3 yesterday. Never seen anything like it in my life. It's also particularly aggressive. If it's questionable today, it's protruding from their head tomorrow.

Also, the things I normally blame for transmission are not even around-----No flies, no stemmy grass, etc.

wow, that sounds awful... We got it in our herd of cattle we bought, and once we got rid of it, it was gone for good.. no recurrence in 22 years.. and I'm still crossing fingers!

I've been blessed to dodge it here for years but I've had some of my worst cases in the dead of winter.

fitz

inyati13":kzocyy2q said:
Pink eye is still on a rampage in these parts. Not mine. I see some weeping eyes but no cloudy or white spots. I am watching close. The guy who hauls my cattle to market said half the feeders he has hauled this fall had pink eye damage. Some almost blind!

Bigfoot, still occurring over there?

Keep it in KY... No need to share elsewhere :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

IBR? Taken a temp on any of the calves you've treated Bigfoot?

Could certainly be bacterial pinkeye but trauma (plants/grass/hay) can cause similar signs too.

No, I haven't taken a temp on any. All have been vaccinated with my normal witches brew, which includes an mlv, back some time ago. It's all heifers I'm keeping, and calves im backgrounding. I even quit feeding them rolled hay, and switched to square bales. I thought maybe they were passing it around at the hay rings. I haven't had many that I didn't catch in time to prevent permanant damage. My two favorite heifers have a milky eye apiece though :cry2:

Was in a training last week and it was discussed that IBR is only the begining not the actual pinkeye. It was said that the IBR only weakened the eye so the pink eye could get started. They also said that by feeding hay without unrolling it the cows were sometimes damaging the eye by reaching inside the hay roll to eat. All these things allowed the pinkeye to start. This was from VA Tech vets so take it for whats its worth. When ask how to prevent pinkeye he said he done everything right in his own herd and still had some cases. He had no perfect answers.

This was a bad year for pinkeye for me here, but not since cold weather. Hearing this makes me worry more about the Kentucky calves I buy and bring in here.

bmoore87":3s00g70h said:
http://www.vet-advantage.com/archives/view_article.php?magazine_id=93&article_id=1220

the past two years we have gone from never having pinkeye after september to almost a quater of our weaned calves getting it. was told by a vet morexella bovoculi is being seen alot of the time in those winter cases. unfortunately it sounds like the vaccines dont work as well on it compared to m. bovis "normal pinkeye".

I may mention IBR to Dr. Stansfield in my area, but based on my discussion with him and his staff, they have been collecting eye swabs for many years here. It has routinely come back as M. bovoculi and M. bovis.

This year Dr. Stansfield says a very virulent strain of M. bovocli is the problem.

We have had winter pink eye on one of our farms for years. What we have found out that works best in preventing is vaccinating a third time for it. Go ahead give your pinkeye shots in the beginning of the summer and when you give your pre weaning shots give a third pinkeye shot. It dropped our incidence of winter pinkeye drastically. That helped out here in WV.

Eric

muleskinner":2172uefg said:
We have had winter pink eye on one of our farms for years. What we have found out that works best in preventing is vaccinating a third time for it. Go ahead give your pinkeye shots in the beginning of the summer and when you give your pre weaning shots give a third pinkeye shot. It dropped our incidence of winter pinkeye drastically. That helped out here in WV.

Eric

I had given up on pinkeye vaccinations. I will probably start back in the spring. I'm going to do some reading before I do though.

We've had alot of it here too. Our veterinarian
To ok eye swabs throughout their practice area and had a local vaccine made

hillside farm":8bbe7zel said:
We've had alot of it here too. Our veterinarian
To ok eye swabs throughout their practice area and had a local vaccine made

I need to check into that. I should see my vet New Years eve. I'm gonna see what he says.

This worked for us. When we noticed runny eyes, bring up cattle for treatment. Draw 20 ml of codliver oil(plain). Squirt 3 ml in each eye, 14 ml in mouth for 3 days. Cattle effected aren't getting vitamin A from forage. Hedgepeth Farm Supply, Canmer, KY sells mineral for pinkeye. I've never tried it, but comes highly recommended.

Latest posts