pinching tails and sucking heads

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred

Reaction score
just curious as to how you folks in montana, dakotas and canada eat your crawfish? do you suck the heads first or just pinch the tail and eat the meat?

This is going to be interesting but I got a hunch with the availability of lutefisk crawdads aren't going to be high on the menu. Gotta say if they have never had crawfish boudin they are really missing out on some fine eating.

We have crawdads here in most every stream but I have never saw anyone eat them. Only use the smaller ones for fish bait. Only ones I have ever had was in a resturant. I bet we have been missing out. How are they fixed?

If we boil them, we do a low country boil. I like to use that Old Bay seasoning the crawfish mixed with corn on cob, new potatoes and onions. To me you gotta have these other things in there cause my thumbs give out before I'd ever get my fill on crawfish alone. The boudin is simply chopped up crawfish tails mixed spices, garlic, peppers and rice stuffed into hog casings and steamed or poached. They are delicious.

kenny thomas":226lz876 said:
We have crawdads here in most every stream but I have never saw anyone eat them. Only use the smaller ones for fish bait. Only ones I have ever had was in a resturant. I bet we have been missing out. How are they fixed?

There boiled with the right spices, with a ear of corn and new potatoes .

Is there a size that is better, or a time of the year. We have some large ones here, would they be good? PM me some ideas for fixing and I will try them.

kenny thomas":3mmn50vm said:
Is there a size that is better, or a time of the year. We have some large ones here, would they be good? PM me some ideas for fixing and I will try them.
Just come on out here an we'll have a cook at the shop. We have some really good cookers here an we usually do 400 lbs. and a grill full of chicken or pork chops and dirty shrimp.

kenny thomas":3u1xxvbz said:
I will take you up on that. I can eat a lot but I think 400lb would be enough. Now I have to ask, what is dirty shrimp?
It the best you'll ever eat. I don't have the exact recipe because I don't cook but you put several pounds of shrimp in a throw away aluminum pan and cover in Itilan dressing an I don't know what else but prol just some seasoning of choice. Set it away from the main heat on the grill and let cook.

Hope you will have some work to do so I can work it off. :D
Can I bring the old man from MO? I plan on going to see him in May so maybe we can come down then.

kenny thomas":9dpca9wd said:
Can I bring the old man from MO? I plan on going to see him in May so maybe we can come down then.
That will work, don't know if we can do a cook then because it's cotton plantin time but would love to see y'all. Curtis lives just up the road so might get him in too.

jedstivers":2xib2vna said:
kenny thomas":2xib2vna said:
That will work, don't know if we can do a cook then because it's cotton plantin time but would love to see y'all. Curtis lives just up the road so might get him in too.

I'll be there, When.

xbred":2vuq7zj8 said:
just curious as to how you folks in montana, dakotas and canada eat your crawfish? do you suck the heads first or just pinch the tail and eat the meat?

You forgot the Northwest, When my boys were young we went camping one of their favorite thing besides fishing was catching crawdads putting them in a coffee can. After 40 or 50 we would put some water in the can and boil them on the camp fire. We ate tails only with a little butter. With luck we would have some trout to go with them.

Alan

I'm close enough to the Gulf that Low Boil means shrimp for us, but I noticed none of you mentioned sausage. Nobody else puts smoked sausage links in theirs?

Alan":1ucu2w9a said:
xbred":1ucu2w9a said:

You forgot the Northwest, When my boys were young we went camping one of their favorite thing besides fishing was catching crawdads putting them in a coffee can. After 40 or 50 we would put some water in the can and boil them on the camp fire. We ate tails only with a little butter. With luck we would have some trout to go with them.

Alan

That's the only way I ever ate them. In MO the crawdads are little things, not like the mini-lobster size we used to have in WA and CA.
When we flood irrigated in the CA central valley they would wash out of the irrigation ditches and be stranded in the pasture. Had a cow that would point them for me. I'ld go out with a bucket and pick them up and throw them in the water tanks. About once a month ,around 3 irrigations, I would have enough to boil up and feed us and the neighbors

farmwriter":j8iuda82 said:
I'm close enough to the Gulf that Low Boil means shrimp for us, but I noticed none of you mentioned sausage. Nobody else puts smoked sausage links in theirs?

We do too. I left it out due to brain flatulance plain and simple. This is happening all too often. Wonder if it means anything. :oops:

Alan, I don't think there are many fish in the water that can compare to trout. They are not native here but I had a friend who would stock baskets in his pond during the winter months and feed them. All we had to do was dip a net in the basket and catch lunch. It amazed me how fast they can grow.

ENOUGH !!

Ya'll are making me hungry...and I just ate lunch :mad:

On second thought I might just run to the coast and pick up some shrimp.

Ah!
1969, I think.
Me and 2 buds from Purdue take spring break in N'Olns and Daytona. A little rushed, but something you are glad you tried.
One bud had a brother working oil platforms out of NOLA. .
He took us to some party on a loading dock, where the beer was in kegs and the crawdads were in 3 bushel cardboard boxes. Scoop 'em out and have at it.
A man could starve to death before he could eat enough to get full--but they do taste great.
I presume they were boiled.

Latest posts