Pics of some bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
Here is a pic of a new bull that we bought. He is about 10 monthes old, he was bottle fed as a calf and very gentle. I'd like to use him to add some muscle to our calves. The older bull is a pet of my mothers so he will retire here and be buried next to his mother when he passes, we have used him for awhile, its the best we could do at the time. I know he's not great just curious what ya'll thought. He has always thrown pretty good calves with no birthing problems. Fire away!
general_pics_188.jpg

general_pics_187.jpg

general_pics_186.jpg

general_pics_190.jpg

general_pics_191.jpg

critterair2":wxjqwqua said:
Here is a pic of a new bull that we bought. He is about 10 monthes old, he was bottle fed as a calf and very gentle. I'd like to use him to add some muscle to our calves. The older bull is a pet of my mothers so he will retire here and be buried next to his mother when he passes, we have used him for awhile, its the best we could do at the time. I know he's not great just curious what ya'll thought. He has always thrown pretty good calves with no birthing problems. Fire away!
general_pics_188.jpg

general_pics_187.jpg

general_pics_186.jpg

general_pics_190.jpg

general_pics_191.jpg
the only thing i can say is..........HAVE MERRY CHRISTMAS ;-)

guess he's not as nice of a bull as I thought he was, maybe ya'll give point out some things that you don't like so I know more of what to look for. I can't afford to spend 2500.00 on a bull, not right now. I paid 500 for this one. Just trying to improve the quality of my herd. He is a limo cross.

Not every animal with testicles should be used for breeding. Perhaps this guy could be put to better use!

critterair2":e4q7bd18 said:
guess he's not as nice of a bull as I thought he was, maybe ya'll give point out some things that you don't like so I know more of what to look for. I can't afford to spend 2500.00 on a bull, not right now. I paid 500 for this one. Just trying to improve the quality of my herd. He is a limo cross.

As much as most of us want to help you, I believe it will be way over your head at this stage. Do a bit of reading on beef phenotype and also about masculine and feminine traits of beef cattle. Then you are most welcome to ask me either on the board or in a PM or e-mail and I'll do my best at explaining what I like and dislike about your animals.

It's like they said in Jerry Maguire: "Help me help you"

this site will be a good start, http://www.bovineengineering.com read through their archived newsletters as well as liniar measurement. Storey's guide to Beef Cattle is a good beginners reference.

When I see pictures of animals I never can see past what first catches my eye. When I try to look at other features my eye just bounces back to whatever caught it at first.
To me the young bull looks very narrow, i.e. the front legs come out of the same hole and no width to the frame in back. Genetics, no amount of feed will change bone structure. The older bull is even narrower

critterair2":1st83rv7 said:
guess he's not as nice of a bull as I thought he was, maybe ya'll give point out some things that you don't like so I know more of what to look for.
  • I can't afford to spend 2500.00
on a bull, not right now. I paid 500 for this one. Just trying to improve the quality of my herd. He is a limo cross.
well dont feel bad i can't either,... but play your cards right and you can buy a good bull for less than that.

You don't say how many cows your are expecting to use that bull on but it wouldn't have to be very many to realize a profit using a $2500 bull vs the bull in the picture.

I worked for a farmer 18 years ago when I was in college and he helped his uncle who was very elderly. The uncle had tremedous commercial cows. Great structure, incredible milkers. The uncle would go to the local sale barn and buy.......$500 bulls to run on these beautiful cows. The guy I worked for lamented quite often how he wished his uncle would spend more money on a bull.

There would be great gains by spending more money on a bull. Not that money guarentees good genetics. I am really saying go buy from the best producer and pay the price.

Don't look at how much you can afford. Look at how much $$$ you will lose using this bull verses one with much better genetics.

How much are you paying for cows? Your bull is 1/2 your herd genetics. I worry about guys who will pay $1000 for a bred cow and then only 750 to 1000 for a bull!

Hey Critterair2,
I got an idea! You stated you paid $500 for this bull, so sell both for the same price which = $1000. Now sell 1 bred cow for $1000. and buy a better bull! ALL JOKES aside YOU will NEVER be sorry. These guys do not have enough BULL about them.

Latest posts