Pics of my Fullblood Limis

Help Support CattleToday:

Now a days Limousins are just as calm as any other breed IMO. It just depends on how they are raised and handled.

Probably going to stir up a hornets nest, but, here goes.

The sooner all those nasty buggers end up on the dinner plate and their gone the happier I'll be. My grandfather was sold on "the carcass breed" and had to try them. I told him that they had a reputation for being nasty. But he allowed how every breed had mean animals and they were fine. He had run registered Charolais and then Simmental crosses. Had raised cattle his whole life. Never had any major trouble. Today he was out checking on a cow that had calved in a ditch - a limousin. Came up out of the ditch, stomped him badly. He's in intensive care. Now you can say, he got a bad animal, or that at 92 he wasn't quick enough to be out messing with them on foot. My take on it is, genetics with that much mean should never be propagated. Eat them all I say.

I am sorry that your grandfather was harmed in that way. I pray that he recovers. I wouldn't blame the breed though. He was 92 afterall and I don't know any men still working at that age (especially with cattle). I have seen much younger men get messed up by cattle; but age slows even the best of us. The last time my grandfather stepped in the field he was leveled by a young aggressive crossbred cow(Charolais/ Hereford) head on. In good health, the cow would never have gotten him square and would have been leveled for even threatening; but he wasn't in good health. He never should have stepped in that field in his health; but there was probably a particularly nice calf or a cow with a gimpy foot he had seen through his telescope he wanted to show me. I picked him up and loaded in my truck and took him to the hospital where they diagnosed the stomach cancer which had so quickly robbed him of his strength. He never stood again and was dead in six long painful months despite chemotherapy. I don't think Limousins hurt your grandfather any more than Charolais or Polled Herefords were responsible for my own grandfather's accident. I did cull that young cow out though.

Nice cattle Limoman. On the temperment point, there is no denying that limousins have a reputation for being nervous, flighty animals. I have many breeds and crossbreeds on my place, all managed the same. The crazyest ones always have a bit of limo in them. Also have a few simmental cattle that are almost too dozy to work with.
I am a breeder of pure Limousins and find them easy to work with, however I only have a small number of those and make a special effort to keep them tame. Having said that my Limi stock bull running with the dairy cows is very quiet and not much handled.

I personally havent owned any Limi or any crosses, but about ten years ago my Grandpa had a Limi bull over some crossbred cows, mainly Tigerstripes and Gert cross red mottleys. The Bull and cows were gentle enough and never gave us any problems. The calves were a different story though. I can remember when it came time to wean and sell the calves and every one of the little turds acted crazy. Maybe it was just the combination of breeds in them set something off. They were pretty though.

Latest posts