Pics of my Fullblood Limis

Help Support CattleToday:

LimiMan

Reaction score
Heifers001002.jpg

Heifers001004.jpg

AUTOLADY.jpg

Hi, I live in southwestern Oklahoma, I guess the main reason I went with FB was I can always get a Purebred from a FB But not the other way around. And at most of the small registered sales around here the FB will bring slightly more than a Purebred.

Those are really good looking Limi cattle. It looks like you (or whoever the breeder is) has kept the best characteristics of the breed and has certainly not been chasing all the many limi fads.

LimiMan, I bought 3 FB Limis a couple of years ago that look similar to yours. Mine (all 3) were very slow to breed. I had them in a group with 8 or 10 angus cross heifers which all calved in the Spring at which point they were 2 year olds. The Limis look like they might calve by October at which point they'll be 3 years old. Do you (LimiMan, or others experienced with Limis) see this late sexual maturing in your FB's? Or did I just get dealt some late bloomers? I really like the Limi phenotype and hope the daughters of my Limis aren't late bloomers also -because what I'm really after is replacements. Of the Limang variety.

No I havent had any problems lately, but a few years ago two of my older cows 10 year olds, did come in alot later than the rest of the heard.

When buying or raising Limis, look at the cods on the sire and maternal sire. Not the epd, but the actual testicle size. This has been a knock on the Limousin cattle for years, and in my opinion a valid one. Many years ago I bought some fullbloods to try and raise club calves. Their were two different sires in this group, half were outa Harvest Olympus who happens to be a trait leader in Scrotal size and Punch, who at that time was down in the middle of the pack for scrotal size. The Oly sired heifers all calved at two years of age, two of the Punch daughters calved at 2, the other 18 calved as 3 year olds. These heifers all looked like peas in the pod and were handled the same, but I am convinced and reaserch has shown that Scrotal size really matters in replacement daughters. I am a commercial rancher, but I have used Limi bulls for years as terminal bulls, and they were hard to beat at one time

Having said all of the above I wonder sometimes about Limi seedstock producers. They move away from the heavy muscled sires that had a larger testicle size to chase the show ring, now the show ring doesnt like em anymore because very few steers will finish, and still be in the 1200 pound range. Which seems to be were most of the commercial steers in the shows are expected to weigh. So now they are coming back to fullbloods that have a small scrotal size and even worse a terrible epd for docility. The flightyness of Limousin cattle used to be another valid knock on Limi cattle, and then they wonder why other breeds are making such inroads into the terminal sire choice

houstoncutter":3p40w06k said:
Having said all of the above I wonder sometimes about Limi seedstock producers. They move away from the heavy muscled sires that had a larger testicle size to chase the show ring, now the show ring doesnt like em anymore because very few steers will finish, and still be in the 1200 pound range. Which seems to be were most of the commercial steers in the shows are expected to weigh. So now they are coming back to fullbloods that have a small scrotal size and even worse a terrible epd for docility. The flightyness of Limousin cattle used to be another valid knock on Limi cattle, and then they wonder why other breeds are making such inroads into the terminal sire choice

Flightyness is something that the Limos have that I have been around. Some really good friends of the family are the biggest seedstock producer of Limousins in this area, I have helped them work there cattle multiple times and his limos go crazy in the head chute. Also I have always heard that the Limos bulls are not what you have to watch out for, its the cows that will make a mess outta you. Some cattle IMO are all based on how they were handled if they were purchased from somewhere. I know he use to get a lot of cattle from Leonard Wulf's & Sons and those cows would flat out try to kill you.

You can tell how onry these are, I mean look how far away I had to get to take the pics.
Now a days Limousins are just as calm as any other breed IMO. It just depends on how they are raised and handled.

Alot of good info on the Limis...we bought a yearling PB heifer this year and bred her to our red angus bull, looking to put a little growth in the herd...pretty good tempermanemt easily handled and to get in the chute but keeps her distance. Seems a bit leggy to me but then we have been looking at short, wide and long for so long could have a clouded eye with a larger cow. Will try to post a pic when I can get it figured out.
Dave Mc

We have an 18 month old purebred limi heifer. She bred at 15 months. AI, took the first time. How much better could that be? She weighs 1000 plus pounds now and gaining about 2 pounds a day on very little feed, minerals, and pasture.

She is as gentle as can be. We can walk up to her in the pasture and scratch her back. She just stands and loves it. We run her through the chute, she is fine. Load her in a trailer, she is fine. I realize she is one animal out of many. Disposition has a lot to do with how they are handled. I don't deny that some limis are crazy but I know for a fact all of them aren't.

My 2 cents,
Farmgirl

my limis are plenty gentle... i could set a child on the back of one of my FB... i dont though... but i can rub all over her back. she doesnt care.

disposition is something hard sometimes to figure out... one of my very gentlest cows had the rowdiest calf this year and sometimes the rowdiest cow will have a nice gentle calf... i guess there is always an exception to every rule though.. i have wondered if that first encounter the calf has with man has much effect on their disposition...?? sometimes with a new born, the next day you can walk right up to it and rub all over it and i mean all of a sudden like a bomb went off that little dude will explode up off the ground and haul it... to me that is weird... cause they are not asleep or anything.. dazed maybe? i dont know but it is the craziest thing.

i have several PB limi calves right now that are very gentle too.. and that is nice.

just ramblin..

jt

Sounds like a fine heifer you got there, Farmgirl. My Limis are a little more nervous than most of my cows, but not so much that I would call them hard to handle.

houstoncutter, the sire of my Limis was a son of Harvest Olympus. And I saw him when I picked up the heifers. I don't recall his scrotal characteristics. What I do remember is that he was one buff speciman of a bull. I know now that attention must be paid to scrotal characteristics in regards to daughters suitability as replacements.

ga prime, the angus will only help the lim's fertility. ive dealt with a lot of lims and limangs. seen the same thing. i think just in general british cattle mature earlier than continentals (simmentals tend to mature about the same though seems like). the heat doesnt help matters either. 100 degrees at 6pm. thats just nuts.

The Gelbviehs are hot as $2 pistol when it comes to early breeding and MARC data will prove it. Much earlier than the British breeds. I know that Continental breeds get wacked pretty hard on this board. The only reason I brought up scrotal size and docility epds are that they are sorta new, especially the docility epd. That is a epd that some of the other seedstock producers might wish to look at. Limousin started it, because they had a problem and wished to address it. Some of the others breeds seem to have stuck their heads in the sand

I'm on the bull test committee in NY. We require a 32cm scrotal circumference at 12 months of age. Our Limo rep insisted on having a 30 cm requirement for Limo bulls, because they couldn't make the 32 requirement.
I contacted the National Limo assn. and got a copy of their "recommendations" for breeders. They had in writing that the Limo breed had a serous problem of fertility and that they recommended all breeders to castrate or only use for TERMINAL breeding any bulls with less than a 34 cm circumference. They said too many females were poor breeders. Now, if PB - FB breeders took this to heart, the breed should be seeing an improvement in fertility.
Also, with the temperament EPD, there are herds showing up with better dispositions. Just better do a lot of research before jumping into a certain bloodline.
The pics of your cattle look good.

houstoncutter":1yztotcz said:
The Gelbviehs are hot as $2 pistol when it comes to early breeding and MARC data will prove it. Much earlier than the British breeds. I know that Continental breeds get wacked pretty hard on this board. The only reason I brought up scrotal size and docility epds are that they are sorta new, especially the docility epd. That is a epd that some of the other seedstock producers might wish to look at. Limousin started it, because they had a problem and wished to address it. Some of the others breeds seem to have stuck their heads in the sand

I wouldn't put too much faith in the MARC data. After looking at the data and checking with some breed reps I found out that the semen used in this study was picked by the different Breed Assoc's using different methods.
One breed that furnished semen for the test chose the top ten bulls in the breed for sales. While another breed chose bulls that had the highest WW & YW EPD's. Another chose semen for the best carcass data.
I agree that it is a good rule of thumb study, but not the most accurate predictor of an "Overall" breed.

Mike C, many years back we used Gelbvieh to put some fertility in our herd. It worked qiute well the biggest problem we had was heifers breeding while still on the teat.

houstoncutter":250fhncw said:
Mike C, many years back we used Gelbvieh to put some fertility in our herd. It worked qiute well the biggest problem we had was heifers breeding while still on the teat.

I suppose that would be a good problem to have when searching for fertility. To remedy the problem all one would have to do is wean a little earlier.

I wasn't doubting that Gelbvieh's didn't help your situation. I just see the MARC data thrown out there and some people think it's the gospel. People have a habit of using data that fits their agenda.

Latest posts