Pics of fall cow & calves & farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Kory.jpg

This is Kory, a 5 year old Zinger daughter, calved 10-2, calf is hers.

Korys_calf_K5R.jpg

This is Kory's heifer calf by Macho, born 10-2 98#. The far right & far left are also Macho heifers.

Macho_calves_10-05.jpg

From left to right - Kory's Macho heifer, Eola's Macho heifer born 10-1 92#, a Preferred Beef heifer born 10-3 90#, and Nuzzle's Macho heifer born 9-30 82#. All calves are (will be) black. The Preferred Beef heifer has white on her bellie.

I love looking at these newborns. Have two more due - 1 due this weekend and one due 11-26 (?) - cows we purchased bred.

You have really beautiful calves, and place. Ive been to New York before and I was really suprised how beautiful the land was, i had thought that it was only like NY City.

Like New England this time of year...spent some time in Boston long ago....Nice farm...the ear tags give the calves some character...nice looking animals....DMc

Yes, the "brown" color is just their baby hair. They are black underneath. When I have a red cow that was bred to a black bull, I cringe when I see the "off" color, wondering if they WILL turn black. You usually can tell though. The ones that will actually BE black, generally have black around the eyes, nose & tail. All these calves are out of black cows & black sires. NO DOUBT what color they will be!

You oughta print postcards with that farm picture. That is sure a pretty place. Awfully flat though

dun

Thanks Dun. Between the shadowed trees & the house is a valley. But, you're right, our ground is pretty "flat" for the area. When we first came out here & looked at farms to buy, I thought those farms that had a huge hillside behind the house & barn were sooooo pretty. Man, am I glad I didn't get one like that. I've climbed hills like that hunting and I don't think it would be very pleasureable to go out checking the cows (walking). Instead of "heat" checking 3-5 times a day, they'd be lucky if I checked them twice :shock:
Well, of course, I wouldn't have put on that extra 5 pounds this summer :D

Ifd you want to lose those extra pounds, come on down here and spend a a couple of days just walking anywhere from point A to point B. Gaurenteed to get you back your girlish figure. It's done it for me, not your girlish figure, mine.

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":27t5h5v3 said:
Why is that - because you have so many acres to walk, or because you are knee deep in mud :shock: :D

Everything is uphill. Seems like even when I go down hill it's still ends up going up. Charitably it's called rolling, but frequently I refer to it as (expletive deleted).

dun

Those are very nice calves and your farm is beautiful. If you ever need some hills to climb come on down to southern middle Tennessee. I do alot of walking up hill. Sometimes I think I wish I had all flat land but I'd probably miss the hills. I was raised in them so I guess I'll stay. :)

Nice calves again as usual. Are you going to be selling any of them? Just in case I know somebody that is looking for a fall heifer calf. Nice farm as well.

Actually, upstate NY is mostly hills & valleys. "Most" of our 100 acres is pretty flat.
Everything is for sale (well not my dog or husband :D ), just depends on how much I want to keep it as far as price. Sometimes I will limit them - like you can pick the top two out of my top 4. Like right now I have a fall yearling & some weaned heifers that I want to be sure to keep back some - one to show & at least one to go into the Blockbuster sale. (these are all Macho heifers I'm referring to.) Got to promote his offspring as much as possible. Right now, I have Kory's calf picked out to show next year - or maybe Nuzzle's calf ?? - but that may change - you know how calves change.

Jeanne, Always nice to read any of your post and VERY nice calves and farm. I do love the rolling hills and I hope mine looks as good in a few years after the timber clearing and planting my grass.

I am so new at this and I change my mind with the wind it seems, I am now planning to buy some registered Charolais cows in the next few days/weeks and go from there( I have 3 bred Angus cows now and they are due in Jan). I just finished AI school this week and am working every minute I have off from my regualr (boring) desk job, building fences, stalls, buildings,ponds and etccccccccccccc
The more work I do on the farm the more I enjoy the next project, it is very relaxing and rewarding to me.

OH yeah the one Simm bull you had ranked very high from a few weeks back was the high seller $4,000.00 #62 if you still have the list. I stopped bidding at $3500.00 it was all I had in the budget at the time. Everyone told me that the cows would be the biggest cost, well so far I am about to break the bank on equipment/materials etcccccc

Jeanne - Simme Valley":34rgdxsn said:
Also, here's a pic of our farm from 1/2 way up the road.
Farm_10-05.jpg

Fall colors are better than what it looks like in this pic.
Jeanne - Solid, Soggy Calves! Beautiful farmsite! :D Real happy Agricultural lifestyle! Would you exchange it for a 'Rat's Nest" big city - anywhere?!

DOC HARRIS

if you dont mind me askin. How close to Herkimer county is your farm?

Rustler9":3161k3qg said:
Sometimes I think I wish I had all flat land but I'd probably miss the hills. I was raised in them so I guess I'll stay. :)
Believe me Rustler, you'd miss those hills. When I was a teenager, my daddy moved us from the hills and hollows of north Alabama where I was raised to the flatlands of Ft. Worth and later northeast Texas. While the people were great out there, we were sure homesick for the hills of Alabama. I love'em! After 5 years of flatland living, it actually took awhile to get used to the mountains again when we moved back home.

Jeanne, as always, good looking calves. That is a nice looking place you have there. Upstate NY really is quite pretty.
I agre with Dun, that pic would make for a nice postcard.

Katherine

Latest posts