Pics, April 25 2010 :-(

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Just thought I would share some pics of what we are like here as far as moisture. We are in the Red Deer area and it is desperate for moisture. As you all know Alberta suffered the worst drought in 50 years last summer and our area is now going to be declared a disaster area if we do not get any rain or snow soon. We have not have any real moisture since the beginning of Feb. All the rain and snow the last month has gone around us. This area is usually known for lush rich soil.. :roll:
The reason for such distress is that we in only have a 3-4 month growing season at best .

IMG_2458.jpg

This should be full of water all the way to the trees. BTW that is an abandoned acreage that I wish would implode as it is a big eye sore..
IMG_2464.jpg

The pasture and hopefully reseeded hay field
IMG_2463.jpg

some of the surrounding area
IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

The heifer area, it is usually covered in snow now.
IMG_2453.jpg

Hubby and Nikki(my little cow girl) after doing some fencing in our driveway ,that is usually a big mud hole this time of year.
IMG_2420.jpg

We need rain desperately....

Thanks everyone, I will take a few prayers if you can as well please. I culled as much as I could, I sure would hate to have to sell what I have left.

Geez, HD, I don't know exactly what your country is supposed to look like this time of year, but surely it ain't supposed to be brown. :shock: There should still be time to get some moisture for this growing season, and here's hoping you get it!!

WOW...I had no idea. I figured everywhere in Canada got enough snow to at least begin the growing season. That looks like our area last year. Keep the faith. ;-)

The weather forecast for the week. If we get any of this it sure will help. :D

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0253

Cloudy with showers Cloudy with showers Cloudy with showers Light rain
Temp. 10°C 5°C 6°C 8°C
Wind SE 20km/h N 10km/h NW 20km/h N 30km/h
Humidity 66% 76% 93% 87%
P.O.P. 60% 40% 70% 90%
Rain close to 1mm less than 1mm close to 1mm 2-4mm
24-Hour Precipitation Outlook
close to 5 mm of rain from Tuesday Evening to Wednesday Afternoon.

Thursday
Apr. 29 Friday
Apr. 30 Saturday
May. 1 Sunday
May. 2 Monday
May. 3 Tuesday
May. 4
Daytime Conditions
Snow Mixed precip. Variable cloudiness Variable cloudiness Mainly cloudy Isolated showers
P.O.P. 90% 60% 20% 10% 40% 40%
High 5°C 4°C 9°C 9°C 11°C 11°C
Low 1°C 1°C 0°C -1°C 0°C -1°C
Wind N 35 km/h N 30 km/h NW 15 km/h SW 10 km/h S 5 km/h N 10 km/h
24-Hr Rain close to 5 mm close to 1 mm - - 1-3 mm 1-3 mm
24-Hr Snow close to 15 cm 1-3 cm - - less than 1 cm close to 1 cm

Hope they aren't empty promises.........

Our forecast was surprised by a late afternoon thunderstorm out of nowhere yesterday afternoon. We got about 1/4 inch but just to the west and south they got up to an inch.

We got a little bit of rain this afternoon. OMG what a smell that is ,love it when the soil is wet. That smell is so natural, earthy and just incredible.. :D

Steady drizzle started this morning. Coming down really nice and is soaking into the ground. 9 mm so far. :banana: :D

The snow is expected to arrive later tonight. Now to get the babies bedded down and everyone fed .

Had a little mishap last night when I was checking cows, Kayla decided to use my foot as a stepping stone.. Just a small fracture ,but I do not mind hobbling around in the wet muck if it means this could be then end of our drought.

We got .11" of rain yesterday and it is snowing to beat the band right now.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you are getting some of this moisture HD!!!

Latest posts