Picking majors and college

Help Support CattleToday:

Have you looked at UofNH? It's your state land-grant college, and has an Agriculture program.
While all the schools discussed so far (AU, UK, UT, UGa, TAMU, etc.) are good, you'll likely be incurring 'out of state' tuition costs, which may or may not be considerably higher than at an in-state college. Additionally, UNH may have scholarships (if you qualify) for in-state residents that would not be available at these other schools.
Just because something is farther away, doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

greybeard":3tedr0qj said:
hurleyjd":3tedr0qj said:
Texas A&M would be good school to attend.
Culture shock!! :shock: :shock:
But yes, TAMU is a great University.
As an "Old Army" Aggie I highly recommend Aggieland. Only real drawback I see is the fact that it takes the better part of 2 days to walk from one side of the campus to the other and has 60K students but an awesome school of Agriculture and a great veterinary medicine school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY94iiybtQk

I'd suggest Michigan state university but that might not exactly have to do with the school :lol:

On a serious note I have worked with several vet's and nutritionists from MSU and they have all been well equipped for their field.

I don't know anything about any of the other colleges but around here MSU is considered to be a premier ag college (might have to do with the fact that it's here though)

There are plenty of dairy farms around that you could visit and possibly even keep your cow at if you didn't want to leave her behind. Plus you know someone fairly close by if you ever needed anything

Where do you want to end up after college? There are some smaller schools that within their region are very well respected, but once you get 300 miles away are thought less of. A U of GA or A&M or MI St or, or, or would all be well respected nation wide but directional Kentucky (or fill in the state) is probably going to be looked down upon by some once you get a ways away.

Second-what are the alumni like? Right, wrong or indifferent, people like people like them. If the person doing the hiring for a job and is an alumni of XYZ university class of 1993 and there are 2 similar resumes in front of them with one from ABC U and the other from XYZ, who's going to get the nod?

Additionally what orgs are there available? I know a bunch of guys from my time in school that were members of a certain fraternity. It's amazing how many people that are from that same frat that are on the front lines of hiring. Again, it's somebody that I have a connection to as the HR person and they have an advantage.

You have to do what's right for you at the end of the day.

I know that UNH has an ag program, but as a graduate of The University of Maine, I'd like to say that their hockey program is a joke. Just saying.

I was at the University of Illinois for several years in the 80's while my dad finished up his doctorate, and they had a first rate veterinarian program, which I sure also included a pretty decent agricultural program. I don't know how it's gone since then. My father left Burlington, VT in 1970 on a Greyhound bus to attend the University of Illinois. He had no real belongings aside from his clothes, some LP's (please say you know what those are) and his saxophone. There was no social media, cell phones, etc. During breaks he either stayed on campus or went to his grandmother's house a couple hours away. My mom left Eden, VT (super small) and went to the University of Illinois to be with my father. If they can do it, you can, too. It may seem intimidating, but give it a try. You might find you like it.

Just watch this movie, it'll hit home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b8r6iKGtlU

Lucky_P":1p2aziiu said:
Just because something is farther away, doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

:clap:

And just because it's more expensive doesn't make it necessarily better, either.

TexasBred":3erok25e said:
greybeard":3erok25e said:
hurleyjd":3erok25e said:
Texas A&M would be good school to attend.
Culture shock!! :shock: :shock:
But yes, TAMU is a great University.
As an "Old Army" Aggie I highly recommend Aggieland. Only real drawback I see is the fact that it takes the better part of 2 days to walk from one side of the campus to the other and has 60K students but an awesome school of Agriculture and a great veterinary medicine school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY94iiybtQk

My cousin went to A& M did the corp graduated with an AG degree went into the Air Force as a commissioned officer 35 years came out three star. Then went to work for Boeing as the vice president of operations in Saudi Arabia. Retired from Boeing at 65. Pretty good pension I suppose. Probable there in the early sixties. Pretty good engineering school also

I have a friend getting her degree in Agribusiness. She ended up selecting a smaller university (Fort Hays State in KS) based on hours of counseling with our local K-State Extension office. Do you have similar resources available, someone that has literally been-there-done-that to guide you?

Just based on your comments/posts, you're a very intelligent young lady who is clearly passionate about your animals & Ag so I have no doubt you'll excel wherever you decide.

And I'll 2nd EZ's vote for MSU. They do have an exceptional Ag program.

Ya'll sure made that a lot easier for the poor girl.

Go visit the area. Take a friend, stay a week. Meet people, explore the area. You will choose well.

Birds fly the nest. It is up to the bird where they fly.

HDRider":3gpfh1bn said:
Go visit the area. Take a friend, stay a week. Meet people, explore the area. You will choose well.
I was thinking that as well. There is a dairy show at MSU in March I'm sure you would enjoy and you could also check the area out

My thought process is I guess that I would really like to go away from home a little bit. I have given UNH a thought but I have my personal opinions of that school and they will be closing a large portion of the technical school anyway. Even if it's just for 4 years it would be nice to spread out. It would be really nice to go and visit a couple of them. I won't be able to do all of them but I have some family and friends in a couple states so I could definitely stop in. I'm not too much a fan of hotels.

OwnedByTheCow":2vh9ggbz said:
My thought process is I guess that I would really like to go away from home a little bit. I have given UNH a thought but I have my personal opinions of that school and they will be closing a large portion of the technical school anyway. Even if it's just for 4 years it would be nice to spread out. It would be really nice to go and visit a couple of them. I won't be able to do all of them but I have some family and friends in a couple states so I could definitely stop in. I'm not too much a fan of hotels.
I kinda liked the hotel when I went to Kansas. You leave the room dirty in the morning and it's clean when you get back in the evening :lol: (we really didn't leave it that dirty)

OwnedByTheCow":2j62bpc9 said:
I'm not too much a fan of hotels.

With that being said, are you going to be a fan of dorm rooms? This is a very big decision on your part. Not only will it dictate the rest of your life potentially, but if you go somewhere and don't like it, you're still financially responsible for it. This is what kept me going to UMaine and not going to UCLA, Oregon, BSU, etc when I lived in Maine.

Just something to think about.

Bestoutwest":25bv6fpm said:
OwnedByTheCow":25bv6fpm said:
I'm not too much a fan of hotels.

With that being said, are you going to be a fan of dorm rooms? This is a very big decision on your part. Not only will it dictate the rest of your life potentially, but if you go somewhere and don't like it, you're still financially responsible for it. This is what kept me going to UMaine and not going to UCLA, Oregon, BSU, etc when I lived in Maine.

Just something to think about.
Neither one of my kids liked the community showers and bathrooms in the dorms at VSU or FSU. Freshman had to stay on campus and in dorms, unless they lived in close proximity to the school.

OwnedByTheCow":14dk5t98 said:
I have decided that I would like to pursue Agriculture Education as my college major. Which is what I really want to do. It's what I'm good at, I love agriculture and teaching people about it. I am really happy that I figured it out.

**disclaimer** (at this point, I have not yet read the whole thread)

Doesn't UNH have an Ag program? Perhaps @ Thompson School of Applied Science? Or is that just a Vet Tech/Pre-Vet program?

Latest posts