Picking majors and college

Help Support CattleToday:

This may not apply to you, but needs said.

Universities are overpriced. Tuition has gone up 3 times the inflation rate. In 5 years, tuition doubled for my daughters at WA State.

I had an old professor tell me he paid for school by hand milking cows at night. No longer possible.

I am surrounded by people (including myself) who didn't use their degree. Many are in debt which makes life hard.

Girls are taught to ignore their biology and pursue careers only. During college, I overheard my daughters saying they really just wanted to stay home and have babies, which they are now doing while husbands pay their debt.

A friend's wife got masters degree,$60,000 debt, and now begs him to make more money so she can stay home with kids. She hates her job.

Another guy said his brother spent $100,000 putting daughter through engineering school. She went straight to having babies and never plans to work.

Not many young people look to the end of the road. They are just told they have to do college.

Learning is good, but it can be done in different ways. If you want college to find a guy, go there, get a job in ag dept, read books in spare time. Get married to ag guy, raise kids, then go get the degree and do career. You can't have it all.

Here's video of med student nearing $300,000 in debt, doing 80+ hours per week in residency, trying to justify having a baby. Somehow she never thought things through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaSu3wVNWJs

I saw an interview with a college professor who talked about the price of tuition and the fact that people with a college degree make more money in their lifetime. He said that tuition has gone up in a direct relationship to the availability for students to take out student loans. And his opinion was that people with a degree made more money was not because of the degree. It was because of their ability to learn, their work ethic, and they are willing to stick through things. Those personality traits are much more important than how long one went to school. However, it is a fact that a degree will open some doors which would not be open otherwise.

Dave said:
I saw an interview with a college professor who talked about the price of tuition and the fact that people with a college degree make more money in their lifetime. He said that tuition has gone up in a direct relationship to the availability for students to take out student loans. And his opinion was that people with a degree made more money was not because of the degree. It was because of their ability to learn, their work ethic, and they are willing to stick through things. Those personality traits are much more important than how long one went to school. However, it is a fact that a degree will open some doors which would not be open otherwise.

You'll never be an engineer, doctor or anything else by just telling everybody that's what you are.

TexasBred said:
Dave said:

You'll never be an engineer, doctor or anything else by just telling everybody that's what you are.

Very true. Those are some of the doors which a degree will open. But you may very well work your way into the a lot of the "anything else" without a degree.

Thanks guys. I've definitely considered everything and which is the primary reason for looking at both West Texas and Wyoming. West Texas is currently $7,000 for tuition and Wyoming is $14,000. Both for out of state students. That is half the price of community college in my state. I applied to begin in the spring semester so I definitely have time to decide. I'm pretty excited about taking a road trip out there regardless. It would give me a reason to explore a little bit. It will be nice to see what church's are out there too. That will be task #2.

I appreciate everyone who participated so far. I have enjoyed seeing everyone check in. There are some names I'm surprised not to see, or perhaps I overlooked them. What about Greybeard, Son Of Butch, Bright Raven, Bigfoot, Aaron, and Alacowman. Are they no longer with us?

herofan said:
I appreciate everyone who participated so far. I have enjoyed seeing everyone check in. There are some names I'm surprised not to see, or perhaps I overlooked them. What about Greybeard, Son Of Butch, Bright Raven, Bigfoot, Aaron, and Alacowman. Are they no longer with us?
Are you sure you have the right thread?

ez14. said:
herofan said:
Are you sure you have the right thread?

Uh, I am sure now that I don't have the right thread. I must be dozing off. Thanks for the wake up. :lol:

In a recent poll of millennial graduates #1 regret... if they had a do over
77% would have chosen a less expensive college. Their student loans are crushing 'em.

Seems a smart way to limit debt is by doing first 1-2 years of the mandatory basic courses at a
community college and then transfer to a university for the courses needed for your major.

Dave said:

My wife has a BA in music b/c she couldn't pick a degree. It's basically a "Yay! I like music" degree. She now works for the same university as a Grant Contract Manager. Without the degree she wouldn't have gotten the interview.

The biggest benefit to getting a degree is that it typically opens doors to white collar jobs that offer better benefits than jobs that don't require degrees. Yes, there's anecdotal evidence, but typically, those that require a degree pay better and have better benefits.

Bestoutwest said:
Dave said:

My wife has a BA in music b/c she couldn't pick a degree. It's basically a "Yay! I like music" degree. She now works for the same university as a Grant Contract Manager. Without the degree she wouldn't have gotten the interview.***

The biggest benefit to getting a degree is that it typically opens doors to white collar jobs that offer better benefits than jobs that don't require degrees. Yes, there's anecdotal evidence, but typically, those that require a degree pay better and have better benefits.

*** that too, is anecdotal evidence...just pointing that out..

Bright Raven said:
One of the scariest moments in my life was when mom left me off at the door of the dormatory. In a week, I didn't think I would ever go back to the farm. Lol.

You just got to get over that first week.

Don't go to Georgia. There are crazy folks down there. Just read some of True Grit's posts if you don't believe me.

I will also caution you about Tennessee and Kentucky. It might be a challenge for a girl from New Hampshire.

UK has a great Agriculture School.

I think it's one of the oldest in the country as well. UK began as an AG university.

As a graduate of The Ohio State University College of Agriculture I can say that it is a great place to attend college. 😁

Anything besides a liberal arts degree might help to get you somewhere. That's why it's called liberal arts degree, you don't need to be the brightest to get a trophy.

greybeard I think a couple of the 'beautiful people' paid significantly more than that Son of Butch.. [/quote said:
Some slackers need more help then others when moving up to college parties. It would be interesting to see how many actually graduated. You can only hope they did not go on to corrupt any frats or sororities along the way.

OwnedByTheCow said:
I have decided that I would like to pursue Agriculture Education as my college major. Which is what I really want to do. It's what I'm good at, I love agriculture and teaching people about it. I am really happy that I figured it out.
I really like the looks of University of Georgia in Athens, Tennessee's Herbert College of Agriculture in Knoxville and Kentucky's College of Agriculture, Food and Science.
The final straw will be what the area outside of the college is like as well. I've never left the region of New England so I am completely clueless as to what it's like in those areas. If y'all can give me insight it would be much appreciated.

The only issue I'm facing is leaving New Hampshire. i would go all in if I didn't have to leave my horse and cows behind which has really been weighing on my mind as I am looking.

I've spent my entire childhood dreaming of leaving but now it's making my stomach turn :cry: . I know that it's what I have to do I'm so ready for new things, not quite ready to say goodbye to some things however.
Just my thoughts....
Agriculture is a great field to pursue. I recently just made my college decision as well. I'll be studying Animal Science at Penn State University. I do know that Kentucky University has an amazing program as well.