Picking majors and college

Help Support CattleToday:

OwnedByTheCow":1q67dd24 said:
Off topic but my senior pictures came in today!
I finally got a picture with my wooly mammoth and I.
That's a very nice picture!

Looks like you and the cow both have a pretty good set of choppers. I envy you.

Lucky gave some good insight as to schools.
Schools and faculty can and do change and you can find both positive and negative for any of them.
When I finished high school I started the summer term at LSU (a big school). I lasted three days.
It took me three days to find my algebra class so I was already behind. I didn't know anybody, had a stomach virus and couldn't eat, and was completely lost. Etc.etc.etc. Yet a lot of kids just love the school.
In the fall I went to a much smaller school (SLU) and it was a much better fit for me.
I felt more at home.

Years ago there was a big controversy over what section of he country produced the best bulls.
After a very involved study and a lot of data collection they found the answer, namely
"Good bulls are where you find them".
Same with schools, professors, course of study. The best one for you is where you find them. It is not the same for everybody.
If you can, go visit several schools you may be interested in and see which feels like it is the best fit for you. And remember your initial choice doesn't have to be forever.

Ryder":25by5xyp said:
Same with schools, professors, course of study. The best one for you is where you find them. It is not the same for everybody.
If you can, go visit several schools you may be interested in and see which feels like it is the best fit for you. And remember your initial choice doesn't have to be forever.

This is very true. Also, just because a school is big does not mean it is quality. BSU is large (~40,000 students) and has a really strong forensics department. Other than that they have good football, gymnastics, track and men's basketball programs. The University of Maine has fantastic alternative fuel programs (specific to wind and wave technology) as well as some programs I can't talk about. Also, their hockey program is better than that scummy college UNH. However, some of their other programs are lacking.

Another thing you mentioned is that when you leave, your animals are gone, too. I know that at UMaine you can bring your horse with you as they have an equestrian program. I'm not plugging them (well, sort of), but mentioning that as a "maybe other schools offer that, too" kind of thing. I'm not sure your cow would be allowed into a school's program, but the horse might work.

Good luck!

TexasBred":9n6w9f25 said:
I'm assuming BSU is Boise State. Actually it's about half that size.
My mistake. I swear I had seen somewhere that they were closer to 40K.

I figured I'd give a little update. I've applied for 5 schools, got accepted into West Texas and University of Wyoming, put on hold at Tennessee Tech and waiting to hear back from West Virginia.

OwnedByTheCow said:
I figured I'd give a little update. I've applied for 5 schools, got accepted into West Texas and University of Wyoming, put on hold at Tennessee Tech and waiting to hear back from West Virginia.

So what's the 5th school?

OwnedByTheCow said:
Had several friends go to west texas all were happy. All of them were on a judging team of some sort. Why they went there, but had nothing but good to say.

Glad to hear that you have some positives and still waiting. Can you take any of your animals? Will your twin be going to college also? Is she animal oriented?
How has your winter been? Is it as wet up there as it is here in Va?

Check out Stephen F. Austin State University located in the Pineywoods of East Texas (Nacogdoches). Not a big Ag program but has great forestry program, wildlife mgmt program and has one of the most beautiful campus' you'll ever see.

http://www.sfasu.edu/

TexasBred said:
Check out Stephen F. Austin State University located in the Pineywoods of East Texas (Nacogdoches). Not a big Ag program but has great forestry program, wildlife mgmt program and has one of the most beautiful campus' you'll ever see.

What about Tarleton? Its part of the A&M system. Oldest son went there.

farmerjan said:
Glad to hear that you have some positives and still waiting. Can you take any of your animals? Will your twin be going to college also? Is she animal oriented?
How has your winter been? Is it as wet up there as it is here in Va?

It would be nice to bring some animals. I am a bit worried about hauling my horse anywhere far however. He's getting up there in age. It's only a matter of time before he starts declining, if he goes with me I will have to consider staying closer. The cows will probably stay at home, I have a little cousin who will take over my showing. My sister will be going to Cobleskill, New York. She wants to go for Dairy Science. I am still waiting to hear back from West Virginia.
The winter has been pretty icy. Usually there's enough snow to cover the ice and make it less slick but it snows, melts and freezes before the snow goes away.

One of our long time posters (Milkmaid) who we watched progress through high school, then college, and on to Vet school did her under graduate at Wyoming. I have never actually been to the school but I have been to Laramie a number of times. It would be a nice neighborhood to live in. Milkmaid went and got married and we haven't seen her since. But you could try to PM her with questions about about Wyo.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:

What about Tarleton? Its part of the A&M system. Oldest son went there.
Very good school. Started to recommend it but afraid the lack of "tall trees" might run her off since she's use to them. Really growing school as well but with small school atmosphere. Has an excellent agriculture program. TCU has one of the few "Ranch Management Programs" around but a bit pricey.

OwnedByTheCow said:
Off topic but my senior pictures came in today!
I finally got a picture with my wooly mammoth and I.
RQzgUY2.jpg

Good looking wooly mammoth as she looks like a big pet.........

Latest posts