Picking majors and college

Help Support CattleToday:

OwnedByTheCow

Reaction score
I have decided that I would like to pursue Agriculture Education as my college major. Which is what I really want to do. It's what I'm good at, I love agriculture and teaching people about it. I am really happy that I figured it out.
I really like the looks of University of Georgia in Athens, Tennessee's Herbert College of Agriculture in Knoxville and Kentucky's College of Agriculture, Food and Science.
The final straw will be what the area outside of the college is like as well. I've never left the region of New England so I am completely clueless as to what it's like in those areas. If y'all can give me insight it would be much appreciated.

The only issue I'm facing is leaving New Hampshire. i would go all in if I didn't have to leave my horse and cows behind which has really been weighing on my mind as I am looking.

I've spent my entire childhood dreaming of leaving but now it's making my stomach turn :cry: . I know that it's what I have to do I'm so ready for new things, not quite ready to say goodbye to some things however.
Just my thoughts....

One of the scariest moments in my life was when mom left me off at the door of the dormatory. In a week, I didn't think I would ever go back to the farm. Lol.

You just got to get over that first week.

Don't go to Georgia. There are crazy folks down there. Just read some of True Grit's posts if you don't believe me.

I will also caution you about Tennessee and Kentucky. It might be a challenge for a girl from New Hampshire.

UK has a great Agriculture School.

Agriculture Education----With the Education endorsement you must be wanting to go into teaching of Agriculture. I have been to UT campus and Virginia Tech campus of Agriculture. Not familiar with KY or GA, but I bet they are good as I would check Auburn out also. Both UT and VT the land around them is pretty flat and they have top of the line facilities as I could recommend both.

Around here several have went to Berea college of agriculture were you can work your way through and when finished want have near the debts of other colleges. It is a small college located at Berea Kentucky and I highly recommend. Your family has to meet a certain income level to qualify for the work study programs. NH is a pretty good ways from Berea, but if your major is Agriculture it could be well worth it.

http://catalog.berea.edu/en/Current/Cat ... -Resources

http://catalog.berea.edu/en/Current/Cat ... ources-B-S

jltrent":99rpy0sa said:
Agriculture Education----With the Education endorsement you must be wanting to go into teaching of Agriculture. I have been to UT campus and Virginia Tech campus of Agriculture. Not familiar with KY or GA, but I bet they are good as I would check Auburn out also. Both UT and VT the land around them is pretty flat and they have top of the line facilities as I could recommend both.

Around here several have went to Berea college of agriculture were you can work you way through and when finished want have near the debts of other colleges. It is located at Berea Kentucky and I highly recommend. Your family has to meet a certain income level to qualify for the work study programs. NH is a pretty good ways from Berea, but if your major is Agriculture it would be worth it.

http://catalog.berea.edu/en/Current/Cat ... -Resources

I can endorse Berea College. A very special experience. It has been a long time since I was on the University of Tennessee campus but it is a beautiful campus. UT or UK have good agricultural schools.

I agree as well with Barea. In my short time here I have heard great things. My wife (Reg. dietitian) applied for a job that included working at Barea with their various programs and we were bummed when she didn't get the job

I'm partial for several reasons but I vote for UGA. Grit is a long ways from Athens so don't worry about him none :lol2: All kidding aside, UGA has a nationally renowned veterinary program and an outstanding agricultural department. But I'd venture to say the others you mentioned do also. I'd even wager that no matter where you go, within reason of course, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Best wishes with your decision. It will likely open many doors for you. Enjoy your youth and freedom. It only comes around once. Be smart. But enjoy it. :tiphat:

Bloom where you are planted?
University of New Hampshire and Keene State are both good colleges, not to mention Dartmouth.
A couple of years towards a degree in Biological Sciences, chemistry, molecular biology, genetics ect. might help
determine your more specific area of interest to major while earning valuable credits transferable to many fields
including Ag. Ed. Majority of graduates end up working outside of the field in which they majored.

Oregon State University. A long ways from home, but a number of solid agriculture programs to major in ... even a very strong vet school.

greybeard said:
There ya go OBTC.....you too can be a Cornell Girl:

I suppose there's always Palin's alma mater, if I can figure out which one it is: "After graduating from high school in 1982, Palin enrolled at the University of Hawaii at Hilo.[26] Shortly after arriving in Hawaii, Palin transferred to Hawaii Pacific University in Honolulu for a semester in the fall of 1982 and then to North Idaho College, a community college in Coeur d'Alene, for the spring and fall semesters of 1983.[27] She enrolled at the University of Idaho in Moscow for an academic year starting in August 1984 and then attended Matanuska-Susitna College in Alaska in the fall of 1985. Palin returned to the University of Idaho in January 1986 and received her bachelor's degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism in May 1987"

Hard for me to believe but 20 years ago I was weighing a similar decision. Any land grant university should have a decent Ag Ed program just because there are ties to extension. Of course there are private schools like Berea and Ferrum as well (though nobody at my HS knew). I would make one suggestion. Consider a major such as animal science, agronomy, dairy science, etc. with a minor or double major in Ag Ed. You can fill your electives with Ag Ed classes. I think this may give you more options if you decide the classroom isn't where you want to be.

I can attest that either the University of Tennessee or UGA are good choices. You should really be looking at which has the better Ag Education Curriculum and scholarships always come into play when dealing with out of state tuition. I have a close friend that used to work for the UT Ag dept and is now the Vice President of Development at another non-land grant college. I will reach out to him and get his thoughts if you like?

greybeard":28t9pj9p said:
hurleyjd":28t9pj9p said:
Texas A&M would be good school to attend.
Culture shock!! :shock: :shock:
But yes, TAMU is a great University.

I'd like to add my vote to TAMU. There may be some culture shock, but you won't find friendlier people anywhere. People in this part of the world like to tell Aggie jokes, but my favorite is: "Do you know what you call an Aggie five years after graduation?....Boss."

Your choice are nearly unlimited. I never spent much time east of the Mississippi so don't know those schools well. I did through some professional work get to know a couple professors fro Purdue and Iowa State. I would recommend either of them. Here in the PNW, Washington State and Oregon State both have great Ag programs (if I had it to do over again I would choose OSU). For agriculture education the University of Idaho is very highly regarded.