Picked up my freezer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Another advantage to people that sell sides is they don't have to have the best cattle to charge a premium. My customers don't see white faces, droopy ears, or ny of these things other markets deduct for.

Susie David":223hv5yx said:
Cornstalk....you only loose 15% in cutting? Seems like our animal's bones weigh alot more than that.
We loose on average 35%...that is 65% of the hanging weight ends up as meat packages for the customer's freezer. We don't count edible organs, bones or fat...strange but we have customers that want all the beef fat that they can get, some make soap and some cook with it.
Dave Mc

Yes, 15% is typical for our local locker. (Very high reputation for good quality work) I've heard 15-25% is acceptable....35% seems extremely high to me.

The shrink on the side all depends on the cuts. If someone takes all the roasts and steaks with the bone in as an example and the other person wants all lean burger and stew meat there will be a big differance on pounds of ''meat'' in the freezer!!

MWJ-

good point. hanging time will also affect the weight considerably. how long do you all let the carcass hang? i usually go for 14 days. would like to try longer but don't know how long i can go without having too much waste.

ROB

A gal up here did a doctorate thesis on the subject and it ended up as we all already knew...10-14 days depending on the carcass.
Cornstalk....do you count all the organ meat in your yield percentage. We do not and have a 65% yield of meat packages, even on the carcass that I helped cut.
Dave Mc

Susie David":10f9qd7a said:
A gal up here did a doctorate thesis on the subject and it ended up as we all already knew...10-14 days depending on the carcass.
Cornstalk....do you count all the organ meat in your yield percentage. We do not and have a 65% yield of meat packages, even on the carcass that I helped cut.
Dave Mc

Susie: Yes, organ or "variety meats", as we call them are included in my total meat yeild. This would explain some of the difference in % yield between us.

I sale mine at market price on the hoof (live). The customer pays all expenses for the processing. All are corn fed and penned for 30 - 45 days prior to slaughter

I sale mine at market price on the hoof (live). The customer pays all expenses for the processing. All are corn fed and penned for 30 - 45 days prior to slaughter

Twin Springs":1dda01mw said:
Finally an honest person selling a good product at fair market price. It always amazes me how some people think they can overcharge someone because they are from the city and don't know any better. Sure there is extra time involved in finding customers and delivering to the locker plant but not $500.00 worth of time. That is just greed at work there. That isn't the face I want to present to the city people as leaders in the cattle industry. In fact I would try to distance myself from those type of people and try to help the city people to understand not all ranchers and farmers in the cattle industry are that ruthless.

somn":2d0li1y0 said:
Twin Springs":2d0li1y0 said:
I sale mine at market price on the hoof (live). The customer pays all expenses for the processing.
Finally an honest person selling a good product at fair market price.

Not everyone would agree with you somn. One time I had done just that, sold the animal on-the-hoof (at market price, for animals in the same "class" for that day), delivered it to the processing place, the 'client' was responsible for the processing fees set by the processor. The client had told me, when all was said and done, that they won't do that again because they felt I had made out like a bandit on that deal because the package weights of the meat didn't total the same weight as the live animal. Yes, I had explained the whole thing to this person before any money exchanged hands. :roll:

However, I didn't let that stop me from making the same 'deal' with another person. (who did grasp the concept that a hide-less, gut-less, cut-up beef will weigh less than a live one.)

Katherine

somn":3v2hcaod said:
Twin Springs":3v2hcaod said:
Finally an honest person selling a good product at fair market price. It always amazes me how some people think they can overcharge someone because they are from the city and don't know any better. Sure there is extra time involved in finding customers and delivering to the locker plant but not $500.00 worth of time. That is just greed at work there. That isn't the face I want to present to the city people as leaders in the cattle industry. In fact I would try to distance myself from those type of people and try to help the city people to understand not all ranchers and farmers in the cattle industry are that ruthless.
You can sell sides for whatever you want, but don't say people that are actually trying to make money and not friends are dishonest. I routinly buy cattle from the auction feed them for a month and sell them for a $500 profit as sides. Is this dishonest, no it is called being a good business person. I have repeat customers who like my not overly fattened sides. There is not a thing wrong with sell beef at over on the hoof prices.

i sell my halfs at the price of hamburger per lb at the store.
whole halfs at thier hanging wt before cut and wrapped. sounds high but youre gettin all the cuts. and with a delmonico over 10$ lb it werks out pretty fair overall.

What the "market" doesn't account for is the time that the small operator spends in the day-to-day conduct of business.
Besides, I do not consider the product that we sell in the same
category as the local super market or the large proecssor.
The "market" price is generated by the supply and demand and who determines that...not the rancher. I choose to sell our product in a different "market", one that I have established and in which I have created the demand for a specific type of beef.
I cater to a speciality customer not the "market" determined by the big boys sitting behind a desk in St. Loius, Kansas City or Chicago...if a fella wants to sell custom raised beef for "market" prices then who am I to tell him that there is another outlet that wants quality, all natural beef and is willing to pay a prenium price for it....probably the same fella that feels cheated when his steers sell for a few pennies less than his neighbor's at the sale barn.
We provide a high quality product (choice and better) at a price well below what the consumer would pay for select beef
in the grocery store....and we can tell him the name of the animal and what his grandmother ate all her life.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not. Dave Mc

auctionboy":32x3fvf0 said:
Another advantage to people that sell sides is they don't have to have the best cattle to charge a premium. My customers don't see white faces, droopy ears, or ny of these things other markets deduct for.
Well now I understand how you buy these cattle and make $500.00 selling by the sides. I can see it now cancer eyed cows, foundered steers, high temp digestive trac infected cattle, wore out milk cows, thats a master plan you have there sell piss poor quality sick cattle for premium dollars. I don't want you for the poster boy of an honest cattle industry.

It isn't the small farmer that sells sides of slaughter animals from the sale barn....we all know who the order buyers are filling orders for when they bid on the type of animal that is being described in this post. There are less than honest folks selling beef as we all know but keeping the customer informed will go along way to putting these folks out of business. A open farm sells alot of beef.
I feel that the type of steer that we produce can easily sell for a buck sixty five on the rail if we choose to put him on the grid but that same quality carcass will put alot more pennies in our pocket by marketing him differently. Our customers are encouraged to come out and select the animal that will end up in their freezer...we're proud of our herd and can say that there are no hungry cows on our farm; a few that are fatter than they should be, but no empty bellies or sick animals.
And that is my two bits worth....Dmc

somn":3so66j2g said:
auctionboy":3so66j2g said:
Well now I understand how you buy these cattle and make $500.00 selling by the sides. I can see it now cancer eyed cows, foundered steers, high temp digestive trac infected cattle, wore out milk cows, thats a master plan you have there sell be nice poor quality sick cattle for premium dollars. I don't want you for the poster boy of an honest cattle industry.
You don't understand anything. I have never done any of the things you have lsted. It Isn't heifers and steers are so cheap. I see a good hereford calf at 750# sell for $500. I fatten it for a few weeks and send it to the butcher. It is 800 when I slaugter and 500# of sides at $2 a pound Is $500 more then I paid for it. Minus trucking and a lttle feed and I might make $450, you are just mad because acording to another post most people have to feed two cows a whole year for that kind of money. I don't see how this makes me dishonest! All meat gets inspected at the butcher it is young, what is the problem? I'm not bragging, but Somn the honest one said some incorrect things about me. Also with cattle price coming down and my price not I expect that sweet market of 6 years ago when I could make even more money per head.

auctionboy":1pq918vd said:
somn":1pq918vd said:
auctionboy":1pq918vd said:
Well now I understand how you buy these cattle and make $500.00 selling by the sides. I can see it now cancer eyed cows, foundered steers, high temp digestive trac infected cattle, wore out milk cows, thats a master plan you have there sell be nice poor quality sick cattle for premium dollars. I don't want you for the poster boy of an honest cattle industry.
You don't understand anything. I have never done any of the things you have lsted. It Isn't heifers and steers are so cheap. I see a good hereford calf at 750# sell for $500. I fatten it for a few weeks and send it to the butcher. It is 800 when I slaugter and 500# of sides at $2 a pound Is $500 more then I paid for it. Minus trucking and a lttle feed and I might make $450, you are just mad because acording to another post most people have to feed two cows a whole year for that kind of money. I don't see how this makes me dishonest! All meat gets inspected at the butcher it is young, what is the problem? I'm not bragging, but Somn the honest one said some incorrect things about me. Also with cattle price coming down and my price not I expect that sweet market of 6 years ago when I could make even more money per head.
I haven't seen a good hereford steer weighing 750 pounds bring $.65 in years if it brings $.65 it most likely is exactly the type of steer I spoke of very poor quality and sick. Maybe you should reread some of your previous posts. Also maybe for your own good you should not post about these dishonest things you do to the American consumer. I just love an honest cattle man such as yourself. This thread and the one I'm linking to says it all about your honesty. Sell em the sick ones with they can't see em. The meat is all red in color and wrapped in white wax paper when the customer will see it.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/post-24827 ... ht=#248279

somn":1zmke2gv said:
auctionboy":1zmke2gv said:
somn":1zmke2gv said:
auctionboy":1zmke2gv said:
I haven't seen a good hereford steer weighing 750 pounds bring $.65 in years if it brings $.65 it most likely is exactly the type of steer I spoke of very poor quality and sick. Maybe you should reread some of your previous posts. Also maybe for your own good you should not post about these dishonest things you do to the American consumer. I just love an honest cattle man such as yourself. This thread and the one I'm linking to says it all about your honesty. Sell em the sick ones with they can't see em. The meat is all red in color and wrapped in white wax paper when the customer will see it.

That heifer that cost .65 was great before it was wounded in my pen. It didn't have any problem that realated to meat and was fine by the time I butcherd her. It was a heifer that time because they sold .25 cheaper then the steers and are only about 5% less meaty. I am a very honest person so you can keep trying to make lame assertions.

auctionboy":3db23802 said:
somn":3db23802 said:
somn":3db23802 said:

That heifer that cost .65 was great before it was wounded in my pen. It didn't have any problem that realated to meat and was fine by the time I butcherd her. It was a heifer that time because they sold .25 cheaper then the steers and are only about 5% less meaty. I am a very honest person so you can keep trying to make lame assertions.
Auctionboy only in your mind are you an honest person. You admit to misleading the consumer then saying you don't mislead them is just a lie. I've never judged a person by what other people say I judge people by how they conduct themselves. Others on this board have made the statement you seem to do childish things and you seem to act like you know it all. I had never paid any attention to them. Until I read this one post that you admit to misleading customers into thinking they are getting something they are in reality not getting. Then you act like a know it all telling me that it is okay to mislead the consumer by selling them junk cattle at premium cattle prices. After all the cattle will all look the same when wrapped up in white wax paper right? So I guess it is time for me to say the same thing as others have on here.
GROW UP. Learn from your mistakes. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason you need to listen more and talk less. Also maybe you should think about changing your username from auctionboy to dishonestboy more fitting don't you think?

Latest posts