Pharo Auction today

Help Support CattleToday:

I see he sells small scrotal (30 cm???????????) as well as small frame size. Is that another key to profit in the cattle industry?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elwapo, Just checked out your website. Great looking cattle!

Just looked at the catalogue and Mr. Pharo talks about his optimum cow weight and frame size. Frame can be measured but the weight of a cow varies through out the year and does her body condition score. He mentioned frame 6 cows that are bone bags at 1000 pounds at frame 6. Why not call a spade a spade. In his situation a tiny frame 2 or 3 lets him graze more cows per acre. In my situation i perfer a thick, deep, long cow and frame isn't as important but the average frame is 6. I have spent enough time in the feedlot business to have learned you can make almost any animal work. So IMO Pharo is just another in a long line of supposed cattle guru's that convinces cattlemen to do what he is doing and if they use bulls out of his sale they will make more money. We will see if this is true or just another excellent marketing scheme that makes the guru rich.
Also saw the scrotals on some of the bulls there are minimums for a reason. Those bulls with small scrotal measures will service less cows, again a way to sell more bulls. But this animal with less fertility will come back to bite him in the butt because of the heretibility of fertility.
Just another guy trying to make a buck doing a heck of a job of marketing, whether is works in the real world is another question. I hope the it does for the guys who have bought into it. But i know going that small won't work for me.

I get a kick out of the people that get so wound up about Pharo's thoughts and mental-meanderings. This is one outfits opinion, if you don't agree, let it go. If what you are doing works for you great, don't worry about what Kit says. It's not like he is calling you on the phone and soliciting his program.

I am not a follower of Pharo, but like its been said, his program seems to work for him, where it may not work for others. He's real pushy on grass-fed production, and those smaller framed cattle are much more efficient than a 6 to 7 frame animal. The market for grassfed is not so much paid on yeild and quality grades, which is where these smaller carcasses will work better. These same small carcasses would get hammered if they came from a feedlot.

Take what advice you want from Pharo, but he really does have a point on some subjects, but is way out there on some things.

Looking at the sale on tv, its amazing what some people will pay for small nutted dumpy bulls. I guess its sorta like P T Barnum said about a " fool and his money are soon parted".

Must be several people that believe/follow some of his thinking- I watched several unregistered bulls sell for $5000-6000...

Only a couple "cheap" bulls at $2000 so far....

The whole price list is on DVAuctions....

Oldtimer":hg9i04wx said:
Must be several people that believe/follow some of his thinking- I watched several unregistered bulls sell for $5000-6000...

he ever get tired of cattle. we could use him here at the dealership sell'in cars. especialy now with car sale's the way they been. he might be able too sell em without the title's too ;-)

ALACOWMAN":2uojj3go said:
Oldtimer":2uojj3go said:

he ever get tired of cattle. we could use him here at the dealership sell'in cars. especialy now with car sale's the way they been ;-)

He would only be able to sell the small ones. Frame 2-3. :lol:

He can market that is for sure. I just hope all the people buying his frame 2 to 4 cattle will still be able to sell their cattle when the market goes the other way.

MikeC":2d1l7erd said:
ALACOWMAN":2d1l7erd said:
Oldtimer":2d1l7erd said:

he ever get tired of cattle. we could use him here at the dealership sell'in cars. especialy now with car sale's the way they been ;-)

He would only be able to sell the small ones. Frame 2-3. :lol:
he might do better at toyota then ;-)

Everyone's heartfelt concern for Kit's customers is truly gratifying to see-kind of makes a man feel all warm and fuzzy inside. One little outfit in the middle of no where is sure creating a tempest in a teapot.

Joel Salatin wrote that customers vote with their dollars. Looks like Kit has earned some votes. It doesn't mean that his target voters and yours have to be the same.
--Julian

The guy sells his cows for premium prices. If only 10% of the people buy into his ramblings, it is enough market for him to attain the prices he seeks. And he gets them.

If he had big cows he could do the same thing.

elwapo":1t926xmw said:
I see he sells small scrotal (30 cm???????????) as well as small frame size. Is that another key to profit in the cattle industry?

i talked to Kit about this exactly. he explained that overfed animals will have a larger scrotal due to fat and that he guarantees everything he sells. i cant remeber how many bulls he said had been returned, but it was very few.

skcatlman":2blcn1l7 said:
I have spent enough time in the feedlot business to have learned you can make almost any animal work...

Just another guy trying to make a buck doing a heck of a job of marketing, whether is works in the real world is another question. I hope the it does for the guys who have bought into it. But i know going that small won't work for me.

It seems that smaller "Pharo type" cows with a terminal cross bull could be the most profitable. What am I missing?

That sounds like it should be the best, but from what I have seen is if you have a Pharo type small frame 3 cow and put a big stout terminal bigger framed bull on them, you will have cattle that range in 3 different frames scores. Not much for uniformity.

As far as the scrotal size, he is right to an extent, the bigger more fat bulls will have more scrotal due to excess fat, but not that much. Our vet won't even test a bull if he is a 30 or less. I just managed a sale and his bulls were not fed much and in turn were green and weighed on averaged 850 to 900 lbs. They were full yearlings and the scrotal measurements on them were on average 35, with the smallest being 32 and the largest being 40. The smallest bull weighed 776 lbs and the largest was 1225 lbs.

I don't agree with everything he says, but he does make you think, and does have SOME good ideas.

Congrats to him on a great sale. He has a niche and it works great for him.

Latest posts