Personal farm related injuries

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":284ndd57 said:
inyati13":284ndd57 said:
This forum is full of hypocrisy. I mention petting a heifer, scratching my bull or curry combing one of my cows and 101 of you folks jump right straight down my throat with warnings of injury and death. Now. And NOW, you come to confession and confess all the unsafe things that you have been doing for years. Most of you folks are 100 times more unsafe than I am. He$$ a fire, I ain't ridin em. I don't go around stickin my body in front of cows with newborn calves, etc. etc. I don't go stickin my fingers and body parts in machines that have no conscious. I ain't even had my toe stepped on and I wear hard toes with an instep guard. I wear kelvar chaps, a mesh face guard, hearing protection, and safety glasses every time I start my chainsaw. I don't do anything w/o eye protection. I put my seat belt on in every piece of equipment I run. I have fire extinguishers everywhere they should be. I wear protective clothing when I weld or use my cutting torch. I check the tops of every tree I saw for rotten trunks that might become a deadly falling object. I have an excellent first aid kit in my shop. I think safety 24/7. And I have taken all the criticism I have gotten about messing with my cattle in good spirit. But many of you who have offered me warnings (and I do appreciate the concern many of you folks have expressed about me getting hurt) appear to be more unsafe than I am. As they say, I guess you guys want me to do as you say not as you do.
Better to learn from others experience, trust me on that!

I know. I am partly kidding. But there is some irony here.

Noted the irony...

One broken wrist, both thumbs. Been dairy farming twenty years. Currently in the process of losing a finger nail that I bashed pretty hard in April; fifteen years ago lost a toe nail loading sand off a truck into a wheelbarrow... couple of little kids were swinging the truck tailgate for fun, wasn't fun when it landed on my toe.

Two of the injuries were caused by cows I was managing for someone else, the third was one of my own cows that had been leased out to a farm with a rotary shed and panicked when I got her back and put her in a herringbone shed for the first time. Injuries to date from cattle I both own and manage... zero.
I think that there is a very good argument for owning placid cattle.

Anyone tried cutting off the loose, black part of an injured nail? I reckon it's going to take another month for the attached half to grow out if it's left alone.

inyati13":2t0jnb5v said:
This forum is full of hypocrisy. I mention petting a heifer, scratching my bull or curry combing one of my cows and 101 of you folks jump right straight down my throat with warnings of injury and death. Now. And NOW, you come to confession and confess all the unsafe things that you have been doing for years. Most of you folks are 100 times more unsafe than I am. He$$ a fire, I ain't ridin em. I don't go around stickin my body in front of cows with newborn calves, etc. etc. I don't go stickin my fingers and body parts in machines that have no conscious. I ain't even had my toe stepped on and I wear hard toes with an instep guard. I wear kelvar chaps, a mesh face guard, hearing protection, and safety glasses every time I start my chainsaw. I don't do anything w/o eye protection. I put my seat belt on in every piece of equipment I run. I have fire extinguishers everywhere they should be. I wear protective clothing when I weld or use my cutting torch. I check the tops of every tree I saw for rotten trunks that might become a deadly falling object. I have an excellent first aid kit in my shop. I think safety 24/7. And I have taken all the criticism I have gotten about messing with my cattle in good spirit. But many of you who have offered me warnings (and I do appreciate the concern many of you folks have expressed about me getting hurt) appear to be more unsafe than I am. As they say, I guess you guys want me to do as you say not as you do.

so what's yer point?

Inyati13, there were things we all have done that we can no longer survive doing at our age now. I use to treat my cows and bulls the same as you do. But a old gentleman I knew had to have his bull shot off of him by a Wheeler Co. deputy. So I decided it was not worth the risk for me to hand feed and pet my cows anymore. Denvermartinfarms, my family owned some restaurants, and bars and I would work the nights and weekends. The action was great and fun most of the time. I use to think I was the man of steel, and had lightning quick reflexes. But I was a very slow learner, and if you go looking for trouble it's not hard to find.

inyati13":3nxauuu2 said:

No hypocricy here. Just a bunch of folks admitting their mistakes. Hopefully we all learned from them. No stupidity or ignorance involved...just a temporary loss of good judgement sometimes. What you do with your cattle is like "asking for it". And it will happen. If it does be man enough to post about it on here. ;-)
No one will call you a hypocrite. Just a more wise person.

inyati13":3ahut0i6 said:

Pansy :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

The easiest lessons learned are those learned from others' mistakes.
The hardest and most painful are those we stupidly learned from our own mistakes. We go to great lengths to teach our children what to do and not do in an effort to spare them that pain. Most eventually listen--and they're children. Even they are smart enough not to want to pay the stupid tax.

You typed all that denigration up in an effort to point out irony?
The tax man cometh.

" I check the tops of every tree I saw for rotten trunks that might become a deadly falling object."

We call those Widow Makers over here! Having a career in firefighting you learn how to handle those bad boys! We always play it safe when dropping trees or trimming... (which we do a lot of since we burn wood for heat in the winter).

I have to say, we have been blessed. I have worked around livestock my entire life, from horses to cattle to pigs, and never had a serious injury. Hubby has had a few working for the CDF (California Department of Fire and Forestry, now Cal Fire) and thus why he is retired at a young age (51). They now find him useless so he was forced to retire (at 45). We are both happy to be healthy and have all our fingers and toes!

Fire Sweep Ranch":xjzryx8o said:
" I check the tops of every tree I saw for rotten trunks that might become a deadly falling object."

We call those Widow Makers over here! Having a career in firefighting you learn how to handle those bad boys! We always play it safe when dropping trees or trimming... (which we do a lot of since we burn wood for heat in the winter).

I have to say, we have been blessed. I have worked around livestock my entire life, from horses to cattle to pigs, and never had a serious injury. Hubby has had a few working for the CDF (California Department of Fire and Forestry, now Cal Fire) and thus why he is retired at a young age (51). They now find him useless so he was forced to retire (at 45). We are both happy to be healthy and have all our fingers and toes!
I'll be danged, all this time I thought YOU were HUBBY. :lol:

Isomade":3npqxy9x said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3npqxy9x said:

I finally figured that out earlier in the week myself from a post in one of the other sections.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1r426vkh said:

I knew she wasn't HUBBY. ;-)

broke ribs getting off the skid steer when the hyd hose broke and covered it in oil
bull smashed me for awhile and thru me over the fence..15 yrs ago and the bruise never went away..was a nice flight til the landing got me..
kicked/stomped/
ran into the fence by another bull and rolled down the wire..gashed me all up..wasnt my bull...at my buddys place
fell off the tractor backwards cuzza wet manure on my boots..in front of my son..as i was catching my breath he asked me if he should go get mom..i told him no..as long as i could answer him i was okay...
flipped the quad over int the ditch...
flipped the quad over in the pasture on a stump looking for a calf in the dark looking in the trees not where i was going
broke my foot stubbing it on a loader bucket

blah blah blAH...im a one man show so if its gotta gt done i do it..wife stays out unless i gotta haveher help...someones gotta call 911 if need be ya know

Farming is the fourth most dangerous occupation in the country. Mining is number three. Logging and commercial fishing are pretty much in a tie for number one and two. I have made my living in three out of the four. never mined. Note that 3way listed a number of his injuries as things that happened while mining.

For most of you good but battered up survivors---people nowadays woulda payed good money to watch some of those escapades.
Dieselbeef's marks from the judges:
|7| for style
|6.9| for execution
|8.6| for difficulty
|9| for presentation

greybeard":1kyajsk6 said:
For most of you good but battered up survivors---people nowadays woulda payed good money to watch some of those escapades.
Dieselbeef's marks from the judges:
|7| for style
|6.9| for execution
|8.6| for difficulty
|9| for presentation

Six of the eleven injuries I listed (stitches don't really count) occurred at Rodeos, so people did pay to watch. Near as I can remember all I got for points was a big fat goose egg in five of those occasions.

i suffer everyday,,,and thats not even including the motocross injuries ive got

i edited my post..reread for morefun and frolics...

btw..im glad yall enjoyed the read..everybit of it is real,,sadly

Isomade":3rg0sbw9 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3rg0sbw9 said:

I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not... ;-) but thanks, I think :pretty:

Fire Sweep Ranch":2gjr8cyd said:

Same here since I have been logging since 14 and an certified arborist since 23

Latest posts