Personal farm related injuries

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":19x9cr1v said:
Dadgum Dave, the American Medical Association should send you a Letter of Appreciation for your continual support of it's various specialties and institutions over the decades.

But, since we're using non-farm injuries, I can beat that--if broken hearts count..

I could probably make a pretty long list on the broken heart thing too. But I think I broke others more than had mine broken.

I did have a pretty good Orthopedic Surgeon. He drove a real nice car and was able to retire early thanks in large part to me. On the other hand he did save my leg when others were wanting to cut it off.

I didn;t include any of the horse stuff, that was either for fun, money(very little) or to attract the girls. I guess that was the worst I was hurt was the money for a divorce from one of those girls it attracted.

TennesseeTuxedo":1hedw9q5 said:
I suffered a pretty wicked paper cut last week working on a loan for a nice young couple over in Humphreys County.

:lol: :lol: Don't overdo it TT. :mrgreen:

ive been kicked had cattle stomp my feet.had a cow throw me an my dad into a brick wall an step on us.flew off a load of hay flat on my back with a bale accross my chest.been drugg by run away show calves.but nothing life threatening yet.my body will make me pay for my injuries an it has already started.

dun":2h24d6c6 said:
I didn;t include any of the horse stuff, that was either for fun, money(very little) or to attract the girls. I guess that was the worst I was hurt was the money for a divorce from one of those girls it attracted.
One of those unalienable rights we hear so much about.
Life, Liberty, and the Happiness of Pursuit.

It's all good----till we catch one. The old saying is "Love is grand, divorce is $50 grand" --- I suspect it's a bit more nowadays.

A labama, I was talking about my own heart of course.

Bit, kicked, stepped on, and cut several times. Worst injury was a broken hand from a char angus momma that kicked me when we were separating her from her baby. She left that evening never to return. Just so happened the next morning was sale day and she was 14 years old. I was going to try for one more calf out of her, but I made an executive decision to remove her from the herd.

Think I posted this once before, but rolled a tractor over on me. Tore up my shoulder (now got 4 screws in it) injured my spleen, lungs, and kidneys, but hey.. i survived.. and still kickin.. YEE HAW

Limomike":1evsh877 said:
Think I posted this once before, but rolled a tractor over on me. Tore up my shoulder (now got 4 screws in it) injured my spleen, lungs, and kidneys, but hey.. i survived.. and still kickin.. YEE HAW
everyones biggest fear right there, the.. coup de grace.. to all farm accidents...i crown thee king :cowboy:

I can give Dave a run for injuries and stitches for sure. I've been shot with a 38 in my right lung, stabbed in the stomach and arm, been run down and over twice by a truck and that's just the pain other people inflected on me not using their fist. I have totaled 3 motorcycles, and was in a coma for a week the last time. Broke my back showing out for the girls while waterskiing, and my neck trying to jump over a truck on a Honda 3 wheeler, on a bet. Life's been good since I quit drinking and got married 28 years ago. Except a few years ago when a drunk at the river was trying to pick my wife up. I broke my wrist, and scuffed by boots on his head.

ALACOWMAN":1m38ucr1 said:
Limomike":1m38ucr1 said:
everyones biggest fear right there, the.. coup de grace.. to all farm accidents...i crown thee king :cowboy:

Thanks. but to get that kinda crown. I would rather have not gone thru it.. not a good thing at all. Saw my life pass before me real quick. Saved by falling in the right place.. and I am here to tell ya. you CANNOT jump off a tractor in time. :nod:

highgrit":hcy75id8 said:
I can give Dave a run for injuries and stitches for sure. I've been shot with a 38 in my right lung, stabbed in the stomach and arm, been run down and over twice by a truck and that's just the pain other people inflected on me not using their fist. I have totaled 3 motorcycles, and was in a coma for a week the last time. Broke my back showing out for the girls while waterskiing, and my neck trying to jump over a truck on a Honda 3 wheeler, on a bet. Life's been good since I quit drinking and got married 28 years ago. Except a few years ago when a drunk at the river was trying to pick my wife up. I broke my wrist, and scuffed by boots on his head.
were you in a biker club??

highgrit":31wdih8c said:

Most of mine were self inflicted (well trees and broncs). You appear to have run with a rather tough crowd. I had a guy try to stab me once but the only injury to me was my goose down coat. It survived after some stitches but it lost some feathers. However, that reminds me I was shot one too. But only with birdshot not a 38 to the lungs. The BB's shows up when they x-ray my teeth.

highgrit said:
I can give Dave a run for injuries and stitches for sure. I've been shot with a 38 in my right lung, stabbed in the stomach and arm, been run down and over twice by a truck and that's just the pain other people inflected on me not using their fist.

That'll learn ya to put the seat up! :)

dun":2xsglf0p said:

Thanks for that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This forum is full of hypocrisy. I mention petting a heifer, scratching my bull or curry combing one of my cows and 101 of you folks jump right straight down my throat with warnings of injury and death. Now. And NOW, you come to confession and confess all the unsafe things that you have been doing for years. Most of you folks are 100 times more unsafe than I am. He$$ a fire, I ain't ridin em. I don't go around stickin my body in front of cows with newborn calves, etc. etc. I don't go stickin my fingers and body parts in machines that have no conscious. I ain't even had my toe stepped on and I wear hard toes with an instep guard. I wear kelvar chaps, a mesh face guard, hearing protection, and safety glasses every time I start my chainsaw. I don't do anything w/o eye protection. I put my seat belt on in every piece of equipment I run. I have fire extinguishers everywhere they should be. I wear protective clothing when I weld or use my cutting torch. I check the tops of every tree I saw for rotten trunks that might become a deadly falling object. I have an excellent first aid kit in my shop. I think safety 24/7. And I have taken all the criticism I have gotten about messing with my cattle in good spirit. But many of you who have offered me warnings (and I do appreciate the concern many of you folks have expressed about me getting hurt) appear to be more unsafe than I am. As they say, I guess you guys want me to do as you say not as you do.

highgrit":19bg3vei said:
I know I ain't supposed to ask questions, but after a post like this I can't be the only one that wonders, why were people stabbing,shooting and trying to run over you?

inyati13":1kpdwct9 said:
This forum is full of hypocrisy. I mention petting a heifer, scratching my bull or curry combing one of my cows and 101 of you folks jump right straight down my throat with warnings of injury and death. Now. And NOW, you come to confession and confess all the unsafe things that you have been doing for years. Most of you folks are 100 times more unsafe than I am. He$$ a fire, I ain't ridin em. I don't go around stickin my body in front of cows with newborn calves, etc. etc. I don't go stickin my fingers and body parts in machines that have no conscious. I ain't even had my toe stepped on and I wear hard toes with an instep guard. I wear kelvar chaps, a mesh face guard, hearing protection, and safety glasses every time I start my chainsaw. I don't do anything w/o eye protection. I put my seat belt on in every piece of equipment I run. I have fire extinguishers everywhere they should be. I wear protective clothing when I weld or use my cutting torch. I check the tops of every tree I saw for rotten trunks that might become a deadly falling object. I have an excellent first aid kit in my shop. I think safety 24/7. And I have taken all the criticism I have gotten about messing with my cattle in good spirit. But many of you who have offered me warnings (and I do appreciate the concern many of you folks have expressed about me getting hurt) appear to be more unsafe than I am. As they say, I guess you guys want me to do as you say not as you do.

We learned from experience. Something we don't want you to have to go through.
Also do it full time, be it farming, calving out cows, falling timber, whatever. And sooner or later you will find yourself in a less than perfect position or having to deal with a scary situation. I personally know the difference between cutting down an occasional tree and falling timber. Falling timber it is not a matter of if you will get hurt. It is a question of when and how bad. The same goes for playing with pet bulls.

inyati13":r9xtnhok said:
Better to learn from others experience, trust me on that!

Latest posts