Personal farm related injuries

Help Support CattleToday:

Ran into a feed bunk in the middle of the night and pulled a hamstring, the next day they operated to relieve the pressure. That left a 9.5 inch scar down my right leg. Fell out of a hay mow and broke my wrist. Got hit in the eye with a broken drill bit, that was the most bothersome injury of all of it. I've had many injuries but I've recovered from all for the most part.

Larry

Torn rotator cuff- required surgery. Cut end of index finger off when a gate slammed on it at 11 years old, it's still gone. I look for it sometimes but I think the dog ate it.

Mining........broke 3 ribs slipping off a 50 ton truck one winter. A year later to the week slipped off the same truck and broke a couple on the other side. Got tickled by a little lightning on a electric shovel in the open pit. Wrapped up in a air hose and beat darned near to death drilling plugs. Mashed every finger and most of my toes plus got knocked out a couple of times running the crusher and loading rail cars out of the mill.

Cattle.........been run over, kicked, licked, and tossed more than i can remember.

Horses.............throwed and injured my back a couple of times, also a couple more concussions bucked off on my head twice in one week, don't remember the second time but they tell me it happened. Worst pain ever from a horse, had a big yearling stud get down sideways in the trailer and tried pulling the pins on the divider and he managed to get my ankle between his whithers and the wall of the trailer and was pushing with all 4 legs against my ankle. I finally got to praying it would break so I could feel something different. Also was kicked(double barreled) by a 3 yr old filly at the racetrack right through the front of a stall. Also was knocked out floating the teeth on a huge thorobred at night under a streetlight when he decided to throw his head at mine real hard. Lost a couple of hours on that one. Wrecked my right shoulder ponying racehorses.

Baseball..........took a few bad hops in every possible location on the front of my body, including knocked out twice. Also knocked out by a beanball when I was 12 playing sandlot(my cousin). Wrecked my left shoulder throwing BP for a bunch of ungrateful 15yr olds for 3 years.

I just realized how many concussions and worse i have had. :bang: :bang: :bang: Did i mention the fractured skull in a car wreck in college? :bang: :help:

Other than that I have been pretty lucky :D

No wonder things look a little funny sometimes!

I forgot one other injury. Doing my day job one afternoon I walked into a German restaurant and the owner impressed me with the fact that she really didn't care for the veal i sent her that week and threw 5 lbs of it in a bag at my head as i entered the kitchen. Luckily for me it was thawed out at the time :lol2: :lol2:

Isomade":2efqjrlb said:
Torn rotator cuff- required surgery. Cut end of index finger off when a gate slammed on it at 11 years old, it's still gone. I look for it sometimes but I think the dog ate it.

Ok, you confirmed what I thought, it is your hand that is in the picture of the black and white face bull. Am I right? That hand has an index finger missing a digit? I cannot hear myself fart, but I don't miss anything with the vision.

Most of my accidents were animal related. A horse spooked and crushed me against a stall. Broke ribs and collapsed lung. While training a donkey to drive, she spooked and wrecked the cart and me (dislocated shoulder and thumb), and a couple of other wrecks.

I have had a drill slip and drilled through my finger. I almost passed out from that. It hurt but it was the thought of what happened. Ick.

A long time ago when I was much younger and we has more dairy blood in the herd, a high strung heifer whacked me with her foot and even thru clothes her hoof both cut and bruised me, it was a week or so before prom.
I had a whopper of a bruise for weeks and a blood clot ended up forming under the skin too.
Gross.
Needless to say, she is partly why we will cull on disposition, but it's a rare occasion anymore.

Also got a pretty good rope burn near my wrist from trying to grab a big nervous heifer couple years back.

I'm a lot more careful these days, and the cattle are calmer too.

Can I add another question on to the original?

How long have you been around livestock or farm equipment?

For me, I got my first cow when I was 22 (37 years ago) and have owned horses longer. I was a day worker on a ranch when I was 25 and did that for about 4 years. Worked cattle, and baled hay.

Worst I ever got hurt on the farm was I got knocked out skidding logs with a tractor once. It was an open station without a canopy. I bumped a tree with the rear tire and the next thing I knew I was waking up with an awful ringing in my ears, my shirt covered in blood, and a splitting headache. The top had come out of a tree and caught me in the head and knocked me out, luckily I somehow managed to shut off the tractor before I blacked out.
With cattle I have been mashed, kicked, thrown, stomped, ran over, and lost more finger and toe nails than I can count. As someone else said getting hurt is just part of having cattle, how often is determined by how stupid you are each day.

Bigfoot":2u4hhdqw said:
Broke neck
Broke back
Seperated pelvis
Broke almost every rib on one side
Jaw teeth knocked out
Broken arm
Concussions

Some of those are sports, some from an accident, some from horses,
and some from farming

In all honesty-------The most painful things in life never leave a mark.
yep Rodeo'in.. broken collar bone and concussion breaking a colt. had my horse slip and fall running a calf and cracked a vertabre between my shoulders... dislocated shoulder and elbow. broke my right leg flanking a calf.. colt went down on his front end once, lunged foward to regain, and i went off the left side.. still hung across in the right stirrup colt kicked me in the back before my uncle got him stopped.. i still dont thank the Lord enough for being here..
:nod:

ALACOWMAN":23jvs7gi said:
Bigfoot":23jvs7gi said:
Broke neck
Broke back
Seperated pelvis
Broke almost every rib on one side
Jaw teeth knocked out
Broken arm
Concussions

Some of those are sports, some from an accident, some from horses,
and some from farming

In all honesty-------The most painful things in life never leave a mark.
yep Rodeo'in.. broken collar bone and concussion breaking a colt. had my horse slip and fall running a calf and cracked a vertabre between my shoulders... dislocated shoulder and elbow. broke my right leg flanking a calf.. colt went down on his front end once, lunged foward to regain, and i went off the left side.. still hung across in the right stirrup colt kicked me in the back before my uncle got him stopped.. i still dont thank the Lord enough for being here..
:nod:
I knew a guy down in Baytown--actually Highlands Tex (friend of my father's) that wasn't too handsome for sure. I asked my dad what happened to him, he said "Well, he never was much to look at to begin with, but he was steerdoggin' one day, the steer pulled up just as he made his jump and eerybody got all tangled up. Ol WO got run over by the steer, the hazer and his own horse stepped right on his jaw".
WO Hutson had a heart of gold tho--built a youth rodeo arena out of his own pocket, then covered the whole thing, about 2 miles from my house. All the things a young guy needs to learn, good and bad, I learned right up there on 'practice night' tue and thursdays. Good times!!

I didn't know that we were going to list all our non-farm injuries.
Three spiral breaks in my right leg - skiing, spent my whole senior year of high school on crutches
Broke two toes on right foot - rodeo
broke right foot - logging
broke tail bone - rodeo
broke back in two places - logging
broke right thumb - homemade calf puller
broke left thumb - rodeo
dislocated right elbow - rodeo, that one hurt the worse
dislocated left shoulder - rodeo, did that one so many times they had to operate to keep it in place
dislocated right shoulder - logging
destroyed the soft tissue in right calf muscle - rodeo, first two doctors were going to cut the leg off. I said, "I am too young to be a team roper."
Had stitches about a dozen times. Causes ranging from my brother running me down with his bike when I was about 8 to taking a large chain saw across the shin.

As they say, "had I known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself."

Dave":309rob3r said:
I didn't know that we were going to list all our non-farm injuries.
Three spiral breaks in my right leg - skiing, spent my whole senior year of high school on crutches
Broke two toes on right foot - rodeo
broke right foot - logging
broke tail bone - rodeo
broke back in two places - logging
broke right thumb - homemade calf puller
broke left thumb - rodeo
dislocated right elbow - rodeo, that one hurt the worse
dislocated left shoulder - rodeo, did that one so many times they had to operate to keep it in place
dislocated right shoulder - logging
destroyed the soft tissue in right calf muscle - rodeo, first two doctors were going to cut the leg off. I said, "I am too young to be a team roper."
Had stitches about a dozen times. Causes ranging from my brother running me down with his bike when I was about 8 to taking a large chain saw across the shin.

As they say, "had I known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself."

Well at least you had the good sense to not crack your skull as much as I did! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

yep good times.... when i was younger we broke horses as we rode em... none were really trained worth a dam. we just wanted to ride.. getting bucked or raked off on trees.. my uncle had a ugly little grulla horse named peanut blind in one eye .. he would take the saddle off after a ride.. hop on him bare back and run to the river .jump off a 12 ft bank at a dead run. into the river

Dadgum Dave, the American Medical Association should send you a Letter of Appreciation for your continual support of it's various specialties and institutions over the decades.

But, since we're using non-farm injuries, I can beat that--if broken hearts count..

greybeard said:
Dadgum Dave, the American Medical Association should send you a Letter of Appreciation for your continual support of it's various specialties and institutions over the decades.

But, since we're using non-farm injuries, I can beat that--if broken hearts count..[/quote] well you made the mistake of showing pictures of yourself,, and it appears the only hearts you could break is with a hammer :lol:

inyati13":2r6mv8wk said:
Isomade":2r6mv8wk said:

Ok, you confirmed what I thought, it is your hand that is in the picture of the black and white face bull. Am I right? That hand has an index finger missing a digit? I cannot hear myself fart, but I don't miss anything with the vision.
Yea, you're sharp as a tack for sure, except that ain't my bull, nor me in the picture. Just one I posted for someone else...

Latest posts