Personal farm related injuries

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I was looking at farm accident statistics and wondered if any of yall have had any serious farm related accidents in your tenure as a farmer. It made me think back to my farm related injuries I have received and My first experience was when my uncle jacked up a tractor front end with a old car jack I was 7 years old it was the old jack that hooked into the bumper of a car you put the key up and the tire rod in the handle and clicked it up. I decided it wasnt high enough for my uncle so when he walked away i grabbed the handle and started jacking away if you remember it got pretty tough the higher and more weight it had on them well i got it to the point of no return where it wouldnt click to relieve pressure so i could stop and i kept trying to force it down to that point i put my body and weight over the handle it slipped out my hand hit me in the head caused me to loose my eye sight because of a clot temporarily. That was the worst one and I had my toe broke by getting it ran over playing around as a teenager. What experiences have yall had ?

Worst accident I had was reading a message board. One post had the longest run on sentence I've ever seen. For me a big ol headache tryin to decipher it.
Other than that stepped on, kicked, cut, smashed a finger good

No injuries involving equipment to speak of. Layed my glasses on the tractor tire one day to do something....got on the tractor and drove off....crushed the glasses. Another time I was giving a cow an IV and just standing in front of her day dreaming and holding the IV. Guess she got to feeling better and lunged forward to try and get up. Caught my foot under her and bent my leg backward. Had to wear a brace for about 2 weeks after that one. Been "nutted" a couple of times by kicking cows but survived those as well.

Had my first semi-serious one this year. At least it could have been serious, but I got lucky. Unhooking the haybine in the dark and didn't notice that the jack pin didn't catch, or maybe it just slipped. Either way, it wasn't level ground so the pin was a little bound up. Twisted on the pin and pulled it out, the haybine launched forward and the tongue dropped on my foot. It pinned me there, and obviously it was way too heavy for me to lift off. Pain was horrible. Plus the thoughts of my kids at home, and the feeling that it's dark, wife is asleep, and no one knows where I'm at. I was out of sight of the house with the tractor still running, so even if the wife woke up and yelled out for me, I wouldn't have known. Eventually realized I could reach the pin to pull the draw bar off, and was able to use it as a lever to get out from under it.
Turned out nothing was broken, but it's been two months and I still have a couple knots on my legs , a lot of pain, and a numb spot on my foot. I don't leave the house without the cell phone any more.

Bruised spleen, liver, lungs once, a couple of cracked ribs another time had a felled tree flip and pinned me in the tractor seat and broke a couple of bones in my back. Those are the only semi serious ones. The smashed fingers and toes and the occasional concusion just go with the territory.

I think my most serious potential injury that I avoided by running like a super charged rabbit was probably when I forgot to take my over shoes off and tracked cow pie all around the house on the new carpet to be found my wife when she got up in the morning. lol

I got drug by a horse with me hanging off on the high side of a steep rocky hill. The doctors told me I was lucky to be alive and now they're saying my hearing loss was likely related to that incident. I KNOW my limp was related to that incident.
I lost two fingers to a hay shredder feeding cows.
I broke my foot in a few places kicking a Holstein cow in the face after she chased me up into a freestall bed.
I went to sleep for awhile after a cow standing in a freestall bed kicked me in the back of the head when I jumped out of the way of a kick from one of the locked up cows and landed in her range.
I'm just thankful that so far it hasn't been anything serious. :D

Was beaned in the head by a high lift jack handle that slipped changing a tire in the sand. Thought it might of done me in for a moment.

I've been ran over and kicked several times but the scariest experience was getting kicked just right of mid center by a wild beast coming off one of those thousands and thousands of acres spreads. The blow was quick as lightening. The vertical was poised to do massive damage, but luckily the horizontal was just off enough to put it over my right pocket. Upon catching my breath, I took inventory and found she bent every key on my key ring and left me with a large hickey to remember her by but no major targets were destroyed.

I have been kicked too many times to remember. Flat run down and mashed by mad cows a couple times. Bucked off several times, once in a pile of big square edged rocks. That one hurt a lot but no broken bones. Broke my thumb when handle on a homemade calf pull slipped. Mostly scrapes and bruises. Nothing serious when compared to falling timber and riding in rodeos.

Drug over a barb wire fence by horse without a shirt on my chest looked liked hamburger. Had a horse pinch me against the trailer and broke 3 ribs. To many cuts and bruises to count. My g-pa got his arm in a feed mill gear it chewed his bicep off..and my uncle got his arm Stuck between lift arm and cab of white tractor and tore his arm loose with only.a little bit a skin holding it on. It was saved and had decent use of it.

Took a big swing with a T post driver last year and caught the knot on the post which caused the driver to knock me in the head...;). Guess I have a hard head! Had a dog ( recognized it as the neighbors or I prolly would have shot it) cause me to leave the truck in gear and try to run me over as I unlocked the gate! ;( still not sure how that happened! It could have been bad I realized. Those are the only two I'll admit:). Did see a fellow try to help a wrecker driver unload a split forklift one day that when they pulled on it with a chain to drag it off the bed the forks fell on his foot and caught him on his boot and would not let go! Taught me to not help unload if that was part of the driver job.

Lots of smashed fingers, minor brain damaged, etc. The worse was recovering from cracked ribs on 2 different occasions. One time a cow snuck up from behind and auditioned me for a rodeo clown. The other time I was helping granddad castrate with those immasculators thingys. Seems that young bull didn't like that. The shackles didn't hold, or weren't tied well. I can't remember :? Granny woke me up a few minutes later. That was many moons ago. Great memories, still with me today :D

Broke neck
Broke back
Seperated pelvis
Broke almost every rib on one side
Jaw teeth knocked out
Broken arm
Concussions

Some of those are sports, some from an accident, some from horses, and some from farming

In all honesty-------The most painful things in life never leave a mark.

About the only semi serious injury I have had, was about 3 years ago oiling the drive chains on my baler. I had pneumonia and wasn't 100% at the time so I probably shouldn't have been trying bale hay anyway, but I was. Another guy was there trying to help me and as I was pouring oil on the chains, he wasn't paying attention and swung the side door closed, it pushed my arm into the chains and I got part of my middle finger cut off. If I had not been sick I might have been quicker to react and avoided the whole thing. The doctor got it put back together and it even looks kinda normal, but it don't work right and even after 3 years at times it still hurts as bad as when it happend, I guess it cut something important idk.

Once on Labor Day Sat. I rushed to close the gate to beat the horse from getting out and I slipped. Put a one inch gash in my neck (12 stiches), breakfast was already done and I informed my wife I wasn't leaving without some. After 8 hours in ER they finally sewed me up 6 hours after they numbed it. The Doc said one inch over (jugler?)and they would have found me within 10 feet of where it happened.

Latest posts