pearl milliet

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
does anyone ever use pearl millit for hay. how do you like it as far as quality and quanity

Guys around here like it.

We did acreage this last June and it got up about 15" and stopped... with very small heads.

Haven't decided to cut it yet. Most likely the nirates are high....because of the drought.

Anyone have any ideas as to it being ok in that condition?

I bale Tiftleaf 3 which I am pretty sure is a hybrid of pearl millet. I try to cut it before it heads out for better RFV reasons but can't always do it. Cows love it. It is hard to cure though. Due to this, I make baleage out of some of it if the weather is not looking favorable for the 5 days it takes to cure properly. Baleage is wonderful feed. Don't know what the food value is of this but the girls get awefully slick on it. Only problem I have with the baleage is that it is heavy and will pick up the rear end of the tractor at times.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1gk708r5 said:
As far as I know preston aint never heard of noone having nitrate poisoning off pearl millett. In fact I thought that was the reason most people planted it was because of that and it being prussic acid free.

Spot on TNMasterBeefProducer, at no stage in Pearl Millet growth is it toxic.

Most varieties of Pearl Millet are as nutritious as Sorghum, so if you have light soil, sandy loam it will do well there. Grow it with lab lab or cowpea.

Latest posts