Tiff leaf 3 pearl millet.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with it? I'm fixing to plant a few acres of it to see how it goes. Worked up a small patch, gonna broadcast and then drag I guess? No soil test on this so what kind of fertilizer would y'all say?

I've planted it for years. Fairly drought tolerant. But with N and average rainfall, I've never seen anything grow more forage in GA. Sure AL would be the same. I drill it. Careful to not plant it too deep.

JMJ Farms said:
I've planted it for years. Fairly drought tolerant. But with N and average rainfall, I've never seen anything grow more forage in GA. Sure AL would be the same. I drill it. Careful to not plant it too deep.
What kind of stocking rate do you get on it?

southernultrablack said:
JMJ Farms said:

With good rainfall, I can usually run 3 pairs/acre for 60 days. Sometimes 4. A little dry, figure 2. But there are variables, which I'm sure you are well aware of, when it comes to cows.
What kind of stocking rate do you get on it?

Don't plant too deep, but be sure it is planted into moisture. Weve gone 1.5" to get moisture and it will do fine. I wouldn't go much deeper than that.
I've never used the variety stated above, but I've used SSudangrass, variety AS 9302 and we put 6000#/ac and grazed for ~100d. We had a pretty wet spring (prior to planting), normal summer with timely rains, horribly dry fall from Aug-frost. If we would have gotten some rain in Aug and Sept, I think we could've gone quite a while longer. I like the PM's too, but we get more tonnage from the AS 9302 than any other variety we've tried. We've grazed AND made WET hay with it. Impossible to dry around here.

I plan to plant some in middle TN here in a few weeks. I had planned to spray with Gly 4, disk and drag, and then broadcast with the fertilizer. I would prefer to drill but wasn't sure it would work that well. I assume you all burned it down first?

tnwalkingred said:
I plan to plant some in middle TN here in a few weeks. I had planned to spray with Gly 4, disk and drag, and then broadcast with the fertilizer. I would prefer to drill but wasn't sure it would work that well. I assume you all burned it down first?
I did not do a burn down, rough disked, then broadcast. Had a good rain to wash it in. It started coming up in about 5-6 days, but now it has cooled way down, so I imagine it has slowed the growth.

Latest posts