Planting Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms said:
Allenw said:
How many pounds per acre did you plant? I've seen recommendations from 6 to 15 lbs per acre.

25#. Broadcast on top of well prepared seedbed and 3 days of slow on and off rain following. Didn't cover seed at all.
Circumstances just dictated a different technique. Normally I drill it in at 15# acre. We have been super busy and I didn't have time to get it done so I tried this and it worked well. Mainly bc I was confident we were gonna have enough rain in the forecast to get it sprouted. But I believe every single hill come up. It's as thick as the hair on a dogs back.

Rain three days in a row I haven't seen that in so long I don't remember what it's like. It does look like it came up thick.

Allenw said:
JMJ Farms said:
Allenw said:
How many pounds per acre did you plant? I've seen recommendations from 6 to 15 lbs per acre.

25#. Broadcast on top of well prepared seedbed and 3 days of slow on and off rain following. Didn't cover seed at all.
Circumstances just dictated a different technique. Normally I drill it in at 15# acre. We have been super busy and I didn't have time to get it done so I tried this and it worked well. Mainly bc I was confident we were gonna have enough rain in the forecast to get it sprouted. But I believe every single hill come up. It's as thick as the hair on a dogs back.

Rain three days in a row I haven't seen that in so long I don't remember what it's like. It does look like it came up thick.

Yeah it's an anomaly here as well during most seasons. Stars just line up once in a while.

pricefarm said:
Looking pretty good about 24" tall. Think it's time to graze?

Yep. It's time. Graze down to around 8" and pull them off. Mine is burning up. We need some rain bad. 90+ degrees and no rain for weeks won't work!

JMJ Farms said:
pricefarm said:

Yep. It's time. Graze down to around 8" and pull them off. Mine is burning up. We need some rain bad. 90+ degrees and no rain for weeks won't work!

We had a couple weeks with very little rain but we have been getting some the past few weeks. So graze it down then hit it with some more N ?

pricefarm said:
JMJ Farms said:
pricefarm said:

We had a couple weeks with very little rain but we have been getting some the past few weeks. So graze it down then hit it with some more N ?

If the pocketbook will allow. It will make it jump again if you get the rain. But it also depends on how much you put at planting. It may not need much if any. 30 to 50 units should be plenty
. I have grazed it shorter than 8". I think no less than 6" is the recommendation but I'll have to dig it up. My mind ain't what it used to be.

pricefarm said:
I put 60 units of N when I planted it

It probably won't need anymore. I can see where 25-30 units would give it a boost after grazing it down but the millet will probably reach maturity before it utilizes the extra N. Maybe someone smarter than me will elaborate further.

pricefarm said:

From UGA recommendations
Growers can begin to graze pearl millet once the plants reach 20 to 24 inches, but regrowth rate and animal performance is best if a 9 to 12 inch stubble height is maintained. Pearl millet tillers well, making it very suitable for grazing.

So after this pear Millet is done what would y'all suggest to plant next? Would like to have something that would make some good fall grazing because what ever I plant want make it through winter because this is the lot where I winter cows when it gets muddy to keep from tearing up the entire farm.

Latest posts