Sudangrass and Pearl Grazing and Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Just curious. How much of the "extra" gain from the annual calves do you get to keep? fescue vs. sudan. Both have extra expenses. Fertilizer and a little feed for the fescue group Then for the sudan group you have equipment needs, labor and fuel costs to prep and plant. Fertilizer.

I'm assuming your total cost per gain comparison will take these differences into account?
That's what I'm going to try and figure out yes. I have all the figures just have to put it all together to analyze.

I used too plant oats for winter grazing until I cut herd numbers. Now the pastures naturally provide it as long as moisture is adequate. I don't get the Fall grazing I used to get, but with the weather patterns we have endured the last decade, I wasn't getting it anyway.

Neighbor still plants. I think the number he told me is $120 an acre this year, just fertilizer and seed.

I used to rely heavily on farmed forages in order to run the maximum number of cows possible. I'm convinced all I did was provide a good income for everyone I wrote a check to so that I could accomplish that. Didn't seem to keep much for myself.

I used too plant oats for winter grazing until I cut herd numbers. Now the pastures naturally provide it as long as moisture is adequate. I don't get the Fall grazing I used to get, but with the weather patterns we have endured the last decade, I wasn't getting it anyway.

Neighbor still plants. I think the number he told me is $120 an acre this year, just fertilizer and seed.

I used to rely heavily on farmed forages in order to run the maximum number of cows possible. I'm convinced all I did was provide a good income for everyone I wrote a check to so that I could accomplish that. Didn't seem to keep much for myself.
Yeah this project I did is a little skewed since I didn't have to pay for seed and fertilizer but I need to account for these expenses to see what the real numbers are. I'm closer to $240 per acre for seed, fertilizer and spreading/drilling on 30.8 acres but I'm double checking my math. I'm afraid this would only make sense in the real world (which I had a gut feeling about this) if you extend the grazing on annuals to at least 90 days. If I can get these annuals in the ground sooner I think COG goes way down. Again lot of variables but I'm learning.

Latest posts