Anyone graze , and cut/bale pearl millet?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I want to plant pearl millet this year. I have 20 fenced in flood irrigated acres. I want to let to let the cows graze and cut and bale the pearl millet when it's ready. Question. If I allow the cows to graze on it non stop (except for when I irrigate put them away). They will lay on the plants and the plants will lay down. Will this hurt hay production? Thanks

I am going to fence off a few acres plant Pearl Millet and experiment. I can't chance them ruining a hay crop.

I am going to fence off a few acres plant Pearl Millet and experiment. I can't chance them ruining a hay crop.
Rich I've messed around with pearl millet for a couple of years. While it makes good grazing it's been disappointing compared to haygrazer and Johnson grass. Especially second time across it.
It does have the advantage of purasic acid safe, although it can get high in nitrates if fertilized heavy. Iirc your under irrigation so neither should be much concern.

How is your Sudan grass compare to haygrazer in yield? Do you find it easier to get dry??

Rich I've messed around with pearl millet for a couple of years. While it makes good grazing it's been disappointing compared to haygrazer and Johnson grass. Especially second time across it.
It does have the advantage of purasic acid safe, although it can get high in nitrates if fertilized heavy. Iirc your under irrigation so neither should be much concern.

How is your Sudan grass compare to haygrazer in yield? Do you find it easier to get dry??
Piper Sudan is by far more aggressive for growth/regrow and tons than SS. I tried Cayden 99b last year. Cows ate the heck out of it, but the yield was bad. 40 acres yielded maybe 6 tons per acre. Piper in the past would yield 100 small 60 pound bales per acre and 3 cuttings. Piper grows until a hard freeze kills it . Try it trust me. I will plant piper this year.

Latest posts