Pearl Harbor Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Just changing in time. Back in the older wars we didn't have the modern war toys as of now.And soldiers had to do it a harder way than it's done now.But It aint by no way a walk in the park today.
We still have men and women just as brave and strong as they were in the older wars,they just have better equipment.
It aint easy going into something where where the odds are you won't get out alive.

Cal

hillbillycwo":1gt1qu7z said:
That generation is definitely our greatest yet. Tough men and strong women. It often makes me wonder what happened?
What happened is that generation had to work and work darm hard for everything they got. So of course they wanted things to be better for the next generation so they wouldn;t have to work as hard to accomplish things. Each generation has done the same thing until we've got the kind of youngsters we have now.

Calman":322hcf5b said:
Just changing in time. Back in the older wars we didn't have the modern war toys as of now.And soldiers had to do it a harder way than it's done now.But It aint by no way a walk in the park today.
We still have men and women just as brave and strong as they were in the older wars,they just have better equipment.
It aint easy going into something where where the odds are you won't get out alive.

Cal

I agree.
But you have to admit it took some mighty tough men to pull up to a Volcanic Island that is lush and green. Wait for the navy to pound it to dirt and ride a landing craft at the beach, where the Japs were going to crawl out like fireants. When they got out of that landing craft there was nowhere to go or hide, I don't give a dam what anyone says thats tough men.

Caustic Burno":3sv29wbe said:
But you have to admit it took some mighty tough men to pull up to a Volcanic Island that is lush and green. Wait for the navy to pound it to dirt and ride a landing craft at the beach, where the Japs were going to crawl out like fireants. When they got out of that landing craft there was nowhere to go or hide, I don't give a dam what anyone says thats tough men.
D-day was the same way. Harkens back to the civil war where lines of men would stand shoulder to shoulder and charge across open ground towards the enemy.

Heck we lost nearly 9000 troops on Iwo with another 16,000 wounded in one battle. We are no where close to that in todays war and we have been fighting it for ten years.

Caustic Burno":2k5c4q1a said:
Heck we lost nearly 9000 troops on Iwo with another 16,000 wounded in one battle. We are no where close to that in todays war and we have been fighting it for ten years.
Fewer participants today

dun":8hmsgf1a said:
Caustic Burno":8hmsgf1a said:
Fewer participants today

What with the modern weapons of today fewer body's are needed.
It started around back when we gave the japs a couple of packages and has been advancing to our today starwars.

Cal

Calman":3q6idnt2 said:
dun":3q6idnt2 said:
Caustic Burno":3q6idnt2 said:
Fewer participants today

What with the modern weapons of today fewer body's are needed.
It started around back when we gave the japs a couple of packages and has been advancing to our today starwars.

Cal
Maybe we should give or enemys the "nuclear rifle" that the army developed. It won;t shoot far enough that the shooters are out of the blast zone.

The problem with today's generation I think is that mine, and my children's generation aren't taught to serve something bigger than themselves. We (my generation) have raised children that are all about themselves and what can you do for ME today, and right now. I wasn't raised that way and I tried to raise my kids to understand that they MUST serve their communities and that they ARE part of something bigger than they are. I have coached football and wrestling in my off duty time and I coach from that same perspective. I have always been amazed at how the kids would respond to that. At first they would rebel but once they could see what that mentallity does for the "team " they embrace it and many change in understanding has changed their lives. My youngest son got the message but my older two (GIRL/BOY) did not. The younger is 19 , a paramedic and has accepted a full time job as a Paramedic in town. My older two have struggled and continue to rebel against their raising, one is beginning to see(BOY) and understand one has not.

What concerns me about our country is so MANY have turned from that belief and have embraced the "What can my country do for me?" mentallity. Guess that is why I will continue to work hard and pay taxes and continue to serve in the Navy, so the Me generation can sit at home and play video games.

Every now and then I do here of an individual from the me generation who is more about US, typically those are the ones that are sacrificing ALL for us overseas.

Sorry for the rant. The state of our Nation just breaks my heart when so many have given so much and are giving so much for so many who are deserving and so many who are not by default. What a bitter pill that can be.

Thanks to all of you who pray for us and support us.

Very Respectfully, CWO3 William L. Ford, USN Active Duty.

I think of it this way. Before WW2, there was the Great Depression and the social programs that were set up to try to get people earning again. Think of the wonderful structures that still stand today that were built by the WPA... The stadium in Clubrune is still in use today, as are many state park structures, schools and public buildings. There was also the CCC, which planted trees all across the country. Those young men lived in military-type situations. They had to work hard. They had to act as a unit. They became physically strong.

Those young men went directly into service, many of them, when the war began, and they were already had that group mindset to get things accomplished. And they were already loyal to this country, who had given them the chance to get out, in my uncle's case, to see a part of the country they'd not seen before, and to accomplish things that were highly visible and worthy.

It was like they were made to be soldiers.

That's my opinion, anyway.

hillbillycwo":1ny5k7k4 said:
The problem with today's generation I think is that mine, and my children's generation aren't taught to serve something bigger than themselves. We (my generation) have raised children that are all about themselves and what can you do for ME today, and right now. I wasn't raised that way and I tried to raise my kids to understand that they MUST serve their communities and that they ARE part of something bigger than they are. I have coached football and wrestling in my off duty time and I coach from that same perspective. I have always been amazed at how the kids would respond to that. At first they would rebel but once they could see what that mentallity does for the "team " they embrace it and many change in understanding has changed their lives. My youngest son got the message but my older two (GIRL/BOY) did not. The younger is 19 , a paramedic and has accepted a full time job as a Paramedic in town. My older two have struggled and continue to rebel against their raising, one is beginning to see(BOY) and understand one has not.

What concerns me about our country is so MANY have turned from that belief and have embraced the "What can my country do for me?" mentallity. Guess that is why I will continue to work hard and pay taxes and continue to serve in the Navy, so the Me generation can sit at home and play video games.
Every now and then I do here of an individual from the me generation who is more about US, typically those are the ones that are sacrificing ALL for us overseas.
Sorry for the rant. The state of our Nation just breaks my heart when so many have given so much and are giving so much for so many who are deserving and so many who are not by default. What a bitter pill that can be.

Thanks to all of you who pray for us and support us.

Very Respectfully, CWO3 William L. Ford, USN Active Duty.
I salute you sir! I agree whole heartedly about my generation, I'm (33). I do everything I can to raise my three small children to understand the importance of hard work and life in the great USA! There is still hope. The future of our great country starts at home, as parents we are responsible to teach our kids right from wrong, the value of a dollar, the price of freedom, and RESPECT for those that guard our freedom. More and more I see my generation starting to wake up, not all of us, but it's a start.

Thanks. I feel my contribution is small to the benefits I enjoy.

I agree that there is a glimmer of hope for the future and I think that this current generation is beginning to see the error of OUR ways. Hopefully they can get it together and reverse the damage done by those of the ME generation.

It really kills me to see the numbers of 15-25 year olds whose job is drug dealer, gang member or meth cooker.

Maybe enough of this new generation and the older ones will start saying enough is enough and put an end to it.

Lammie":143ey94r said:
I think of it this way. Before WW2, there was the Great Depression and the social programs that were set up to try to get people earning again. Think of the wonderful structures that still stand today that were built by the WPA... The stadium in Clubrune is still in use today, as are many state park structures, schools and public buildings. There was also the CCC, which planted trees all across the country. Those young men lived in military-type situations. They had to work hard. They had to act as a unit. They became physically strong.

Those young men went directly into service, many of them, when the war began, and they were already had that group mindset to get things accomplished. And they were already loyal to this country, who had given them the chance to get out, in my uncle's case, to see a part of the country they'd not seen before, and to accomplish things that were highly visible and worthy.

It was like they were made to be soldiers.

That's my opinion, anyway.

It was more than that it was about God, Country, Family and community. It was a belief system of service engrained in that generation and the ones before that. My Grandfather was born in 1880, when he made syrup or slaughtered hogs or cattle, the first chore was to take some to the widows, orphans and those less well to do.
Nothing was expected in return, it was just the right thing to do. When I was a young boy I had a drug problem, I was getting drug to church every time the doors opened. It would be mentioned in the service that someone had broken a leg or was sick. I look back on this and a many a time after service the men would be in a group,they were discussing who was going to do what to help.

Caustic, My Granny drug me to church too. That is a good problem to have. My kids suffered with that same addiction a few of them have strayed from their Biblical teaching but I still claim the verse that they shall not depart from Him.

Latest posts