Pearl Harbor Day

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
If any of you guys and gals are WW II veterans or Pearl Harbor surviors I just wanted to say thanks for your service. Your service paid the price for our Freedom and I for one do know of the cost! Thanks again and have a great day!!

hillbillycwo":22eeoyc6 said:
If any of you guys and gals are WW II veterans or Pearl Harbor surviors I just wanted to say thanks for your service. Your service paid the price for our Freedom and I for one do know of the cost! Thanks again and have a great day!!
we lost 2 WWII veterans here, just a couple days from each other... both were 91 years olds,,they were superb individuals

Dad is the last in mine. I do have two uncles who were in Korea.

A TV station in Springfield is doing "Honor Flights" taking WWII vets to see the monument in DC. Every flight it seems there are a couple of vets that were supposed to make the flight that have died before they got to go. They should have started this deal a year or 2 earlier

john250":gtdeqid6 said:
We don't hear much about Pearl Harbor Day now. My folks can tell you where they were and what they were doing.

Sad but very true. I didn't hear anything on the news this morning. I've sent emails to the Dallas News and the local NBC station complaining about the lack of reporting on the 69th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I'm sure they will be categorically dismissed/ignored by the organizations; however, I feel better for having done it!

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram did run a Pearl Habor story. But, then again, it has a more "small town" feel than the "big city" Dallas News.

hillbillycwo":qay92w0j said:

I had an uncle at Pearl on Dec 7th, luckly he was on shore leave that weekend. Another Uncle a Marine that made the beach landings at Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. Dad was in the North Atlantic chasing U-Boats. Heard a many interesting conversation growing up. Talk about a tough lot those men were we have no idea of the sacrifice.
Sadly I miss them all dearly every day, but I am happy they are not here to see the country they paid so much for.

Had an uncle in ww1,an uncle in ww2,a brother in the korean war,I was in nam,and a grandson in Afghanistan.

Cal

Calman":3ndyqf0z said:
Had an uncle in ww1,an uncle in ww2,a brother in the korean war,I was in nam,and a grandson in Afghanistan.

Cal

Many thanks Cal for you and your family's service. May God Bless our service men an gals, past an present.

Like most of you my family has a long history defending this country. I am greatful for the Priveledge of wearing our Nations colors. Thanks to all of you who have served in the uniform, supported a loved one who has or is and especially thank you to every one who has prayed for us who have served and who do serve. Please continue to pray for us as this Korean issue looks very dangerous to this old Naval Warrant Officer. I would like to retire and get back to farming full time!! Blessings to all.

curtis":1ruli9rm said:
Calman":1ruli9rm said:

Cal

Many thanks Cal for you and your family's service. May God Bless our service men an gals, past an present.

DITTO :tiphat:

Caustic Burno":3mk34fkn said:
hillbillycwo":3mk34fkn said:

I had an uncle at Pearl on Dec 7th, luckly he was on shore leave that weekend. Another Uncle a Marine that made the beach landings at Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. Dad was in the North Atlantic chasing U-Boats. Heard a many interesting conversation growing up. Talk about a tough lot those men were we have no idea of the sacrifice.
Sadly I miss them all dearly every day, but I am happy they are not here to see the country they paid so much for.

My dad was a non combatant but he could still tell a good story. He crossed the Atlantic on the Queen Mary, which had been refitted as a troop transport. Said that they started out in a convoy and had some sort of mechanical trouble and had to turn back to New York City. He was nervous. They did warm bunking. Slept in shifts. When one man got out of a bed another got in it. He assembled gliders. Each one came in five large wooden crates. Once assembled, them men lived in the crates, joining them together and creating doorways to make rooms. After that, he was part of a unit that would go after battles and recover what they could, sometimes had to re-bury soldiers that were killed. Kinda like battlefield clean-up. Went all the way to Holland like that. Barely missed the Battle of the Bulge. Got sent to Trinidad, thinking that he was going to have to go fight Japanese, but the war ended before that happened.

Forgot to mention my daughter has Dad's navy dress blues and my Unlce's Marine Dress Blues along with her husbands Gandfather Army uniform in a glass case all from WWII. Makes a neat display, I don't know if they have any real value.

They do to museums. However they typically want them donated. I have seen them in the Smithsonian. They also have more value to your family. I am planning on putting my Dress Uniforms in one as well for the man cave.

Caustic Burno":wp3ze469 said:
hillbillycwo":wp3ze469 said:

My father was in the Merchant Marine being chased by U-Boats. I have heard him talk of how long and tense the hours were in the engine room and couldn't leave his post when they knew they were being stalked by sumarines and were constantly executing evasive maneuvers.

I also have a bracelet which the crew made from a Japenese airplane wing they fished out of the water and gave to him for my mother when he was in the Philippines in March of '45.

He has been gone a long time now and I am now older than he was when he died. But I am still awed by my memories of him an those like him.

That generation is definitely our greatest yet. Tough men and strong women. It often makes me wonder what happened?

hillbillycwo":gi3dir5a said:
That generation is definitely our greatest yet. Tough men and strong women. It often makes me wonder what happened?
Me too, I'm a grandson to that generation but several of them had a big part in raising me. I really get agrivated by lots of these candy a$$'s now.

Latest posts