Patience Under Stress

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Teaching one of my sons to drive a stick shift. He's taking it to Atlanta Sunday for college. Just got the car yesterday. We spent most of the morning working on starting from a stop on hills. Must have choked down a hundred times.

Oh dear... here's something my dad would say to me when I learned... he would say it in a calm cool voice "If you can't find 'em, grind 'em"...

...it would tick me off so much to prove him wrong that I wasn't going to grind the gears... perhaps it worked as a strategy.

i'll never forget my wifes first experience with a manual transmission. we had just gotten married and i had a 1984 chevy pickup with a three on the tree (factory). we lived in a college town at the time, and while going down the main drag during the noon hour, she decides its time for her to learn to drive it. so at the first red light we switch places and she gets behind the wheel. i think we set there through at least two if not three green lights. she'd dump the clutch and the truck would die. :lol2: people behind us were honking and hollering, and the wife was screaming at me how do you drive this thing. After she gets it going and we make it through the intersection - i told her that she needed to shift gears. she looked at me and said "Oh Brother", and takes the first exit she found to get off of the main road - stops the truck and tells me that she thinks her next driving lesson should take place on the family farm.

ROB

When I was in HS, we had Drivers Ed in school and driving time one on one with the teacher. I had to drive after geometry which I hated and was always flustered and would choke that little Chevette about 100 times. Now with fuel injection it makes it so much easier to drive a stick, nothing to it.

ga. prime":wnbbbkug said:
Teaching one of my sons to drive a stick shift. He's taking it to Atlanta Sunday for college. Just got the car yesterday. We spent most of the morning working on starting from a stop on hills. Must have choked down a hundred times.

You son is in college and can't drive a stick?!? :lol2: My first pickup was a stick and I jumped in and drove it home. My mom probably couldn't drive one if her life depended on it. Since my brother had no one to teach him, i made him drive my truck (and it was NOT an easy one to learn on) around the place until he figured it out. I said if you can drive this you can drive anything. He couldn't have been more than 12 or 13 or so. He'll be gettin his license this summer and he's probably one of the only kids his age that can drive a stick and back a trailer. I'm so proud :cry2:

I had a girl pay me $20 to teach her how to drive a strait shift. I was in college and was broke, so I took her money! :D

My first vehicle was a stick shift mazda truck. I could drive it fine on flat ground but stopping and starting on an incline was a big problem. Anyway the first weekend I got my truck I invited an older girl , with a very questionable reputation, to go "riding" down a few old country roads with me . She agreed but said that we had to ride by the local hardees which was where all the teens hung out on saturday night. Now this girl was alot of fun but not someone you wanted your buddy's to see you with. I figured that I could slip by hardees real qiuck and maybe none of my friends would even notice her riding with me. The only thing I forgot about was the huge hill at the red light :oops: . I stopped on it and every time I ease off the clutch the truck would go dead so I starting revving up the engine and fighting with the clutch . This caught the attention of all my friends who I could see start pointing and laughing . Man was I embarresed. I sure do miss those days.

I taught both my kids to drive a stick. My daughter at age14 in a totyote car she could shift out real good but never wanted to down shift when stoping or turning she ran us of the end of the culvert turning in our drive way scared her to death, laughed my self to death at the look on her face when she went of the end of the culvert. My son bought his self a 4 wheel drive nissian truck when he was 14 so he could cut fire wood for sale. i don't really no when he learned i would let both of them drive on the farm from the time they could get one to move.

Auburn_Ag":taxv2hg1 said:
I had a girl pay me $20 to teach her how to drive a strait shift. I was in college and was broke, so I took her money! :D

there are so many good responses to this that i cant pick just one so i'll keep my mouth shut! :lol:

My 12 and 14 year old have been driving a straight shift for a year now. They learned purty quick. We started in 4 wheel low and it wasn't long before they didn't need that anymore.

well i dont have kids to teach to drive.but i let my neices an nephews learn on a 4 wheeler.an yall are right it was fun to watch them.an i pulled out alot of hair watching them.

Wow i guess i must be a natural as no one taught me. Guess i caught on after driving a 656 international tractor. Its not that hard. Just listen to the engine and when it starts getting louder you shift.

Miss Daisy":2iixmym0 said:
Auburn_Ag":2iixmym0 said:

there are so many good responses to this that i cant pick just one so i'll keep my mouth shut! :lol:

No comment :| :shock: 8)
Now off to get the soap :lol: ...........

My Brother was 9 years older than Me, when he was 16, I was 7. He had an old car that would not start with the starter so he taught me to drive dads 48 chevy pickup with 4 on the floor. I would pull him up the hill by the house so he could coast down and catch it in gear to start it. But 60 years ago there wasn't many automatics.

I just watched my mom and dad drive their car and truck. Both were 3 on the tree. When I was 11 I decided I could do it so I got in moms car and took off. I did real well until someone saw me and told my dad. :roll: He was teed off but I believe he was proud as well because he started letting me drive his truck some on the back roads. :D My oldest girl learned on a standard shift but the two younger ones can only drive autos and they don't do that real well. Of course they are only 29 and 27. :lol:

I learned to drive a standard in Japan. My uncle taught me. He is Japanese and can't speak English. I Can't speak Japanese. Lots of hand jestures but I figured it out. Wierd driving on the right side with the stick on the left. Unless you learn that way and try to go the other way. A few months later, back in TX. I found a truck I wanted to buy and my Dad went with me. The dealer pulled the truck up and we got in. My Dad say's "are you sure you can drive a stick". "YES! Jeez! How many times are you going to ask me." I stalled it right there in front of the dealer. I didn't even look at my Dad or the dealer. Started it up and managed to get going. I've got a pretty good idea what look my Dad was giving me, but I knew better than to look and get it. Good times! :nod:

Walt

spoon":14fht1q3 said:
I just watched my mom and dad drive their car and truck. Both were 3 on the tree. When I was 11 I decided I could do it so I got in moms car and took off. I did real well until someone saw me and told my dad. :roll: He was teed off but I believe he was proud as well because he started letting me drive his truck some on the back roads. :D My oldest girl learned on a standard shift but the two younger ones can only drive autos and they don't do that real well. Of course they are only 29 and 27. :lol:

I'd be willing to bet that most folks under 30 don't know what 3 on the tree is. My Father bought me a 58 chevy pickup when I was 14. The next 2 summers he dropped me off at a garage in the morning and picked me up in the evening. Made me take the 3 on the tree off and put in an automatic. He said he didn't trust me with a standard. Memories.

Walt

Latest posts