Stress

Help Support CattleToday:

bball, you wrote that success is so much more than financial; I agree so much. Some people can't seem to separate the two. Some people can't understand why anyone would turn down a promotion, but I understand completely. I think some people even equate the act of always being "on the job" and "being busy" as successful, even though they don't actually seem to accomplish any more in life than those who take a less stressful road. They would jump on a promotion in a heartbeat without even thinking of the added stress, but for me there's more to life than punching a clock.

Bestoutwest said:
Caustic Burno said:
bball said:
You summed up my philosophy pretty well. Administration has approached me 5 times over the last 16 months for promotion. I respectfully decline each time. The added income would not justify the added stress, aggravation and time away from the people and things I truly enjoy.
It's not just how we equate happiness, but also success. Success is far more than just financial imho.

Satisfaction is hard to place a price on.
Company did the same thing with me.
I was satisfied, not wanting to move to other locations around the country.
Lifestyle is a huge influencing factor as well, some people are trying to stay ahead of the Jones's others stuffing the mattresses.

I've never really understood the guy that had to make millions and millions, working 80+ hours a week, all so they can eat the most expensive steaks, and fly in his own plane. It comes down to power and being the big shot when he/she walks into a room, but I still don't get it-never will. That being said, I'm glad there are folks like that b/c they do make some pretty big companies that employ a lot of folks. I'm just not that guy. The stress just wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd work 1 year, take the $10M+ salary and bail.

I am not sure what all turns that gear.
I had a great job working 14 days a month and very well compensated. There were five of us in that position most viewed it as a rung to go higher. Why anyone would want to leave that gig was beyond me for exactly what you described above.
Most couldn't understand being satisfied in your current career position.
It didn't limit itself to a single personality trait there are over a dozen personality traits and I have seen most keep striving for the brass ring.

I can relate to what many of you are saying. It almost seems like a different place. It hasn't been long that people were expressing on here that they didn't want any free time, they wanted to work all the time, they never wanted to retire, and they thought anybody who didn't stay busy constantly was just lazy. I'm glad to see that some on here understand smelling a few roses outside the realm of busyness 24/7.

herofan said:
I can relate to what many of you are saying. It almost seems like a different place. It hasn't been long that people were expressing on here that they didn't want any free time, they wanted to work all the time, they never wanted to retire, and they thought anybody who didn't stay busy constantly was just lazy. I'm glad to see that some on here understand smelling a few roses outside the realm of busyness 24/7.

I don't think those folks meant everyone was lazy, just you LoL..... mainly in response to your ever present pretentious attitude about it.

callmefence said:
herofan said:

I don't think those folks meant everyone was lazy, just you LoL..... mainly in response to your ever present pretentious attitude about it.

That's what I meant. There was a time when everybody on here acted as though constant work and activity was the only thing life was about. I believe it started when i posted once about a guy who suffered an injury and was paralyzed. He said if he had things to do over, he wouldn't have spent so much time working, and everybody here lost their mind. lol But in this thread, it appears people see it a bit differently.

First, take some deep breaths and try to focus on the present moment. It sounds simple, but it can really make a difference. Secondly, finding healthy outlets like exercise, journaling, or even talking to a friend can be super beneficial. And hey, speaking of mental health, I recently stumbled upon some interesting info about neurosis and how it affects our well-being. Check out this link if you're curious https://fherehab.com/learning/neurosis-mental-health Also, just a heads up, I'm new to this forum but excited to be here.

My stress level plummeted when I started throwing away the hinges that come with new gates. Took me awhile to get past my stupidness. I still have plenty left. It's entertaining, according to my darlin.

I have absolutely zero stress in my life. I used to have a lot of stress but since I gave up my work 16 years ago things just seem to fly straight over my head. I don't have a lot of money but things work out just fine.

Ken

Latest posts