Stress

Help Support CattleToday:

WestTNguy

Reaction score
Been a rough week.

How do y'all deal with stress and anxiety? Seems to get better each year, but damnit boy if I ain't worrying about something, then I feel off. I know there are some old timers on here with some good experience....

Ahhhhh, stress, the silent killer! I try to walk a minimum of 30 minutes daily. No cell, music or distractions. I focus on the the scenery so my mind doesnt drift into 'serious' concerns. Journaling is an excellent stress reliever and leaves behind something of interest for your heirs (should you choose to share it). Plenty of water and quality sleep are very important for your mind and body to rest and recover. Prayer or meditation.
It's a real discipline, but learning to accept what you have the power to impact and accepting the things you can not impact is vital to stress relief. Good luck.

bball said:
Ahhhhh, stress, the silent killer! I try to walk a minimum of 30 minutes daily. No cell, music or distractions. I focus on the the scenery so my mind doesnt drift into 'serious' concerns. Journaling is an excellent stress reliever and leaves behind something of interest for your heirs (should you choose to share it). Plenty of water and quality sleep are very important for your mind and body to rest and recover. Prayer or meditation.
It's a real discipline, but learning to accept what you have the power to impact and accepting the things you can not impact is vital to stress relief. Good luck.

Excellent advice.

My doctor told me I needed to reduce my stress. How do you do that when your clients are depending on you as to whether their family eats or not?

Cattle are my stress reducers ( I'm not sure how that is working out for me these days :frowns: )

I had some semi serious issues caused by stress back in the early 90's. When the doctor told me that they were caused by stress I decided that I was going to live a stress free life. I made the very conscious decision to not stress over things. It took some mind training on my part. Just do the best I can but not stress about the out come. If I do the best I can, well I did what I can do. Stressing about it won't change the out come one bit.

Read up on ruminating thoughts. It's closely tied to ocd. Control the thoughts, and the stress disappears.

WestTNguy said:
Been a rough week.

How do y'all deal with stress and anxiety? Seems to get better each year, but damnit boy if I ain't worrying about something, then I feel off. I know there are some old timers on here with some good experience....
i found it less stressful, too tackle one thing at a time...turn that worrying into accomplishments..farming can seem to get overwhelming at times.like everything needs to be done at once ...but you can get more accomplished and do better work,after one thing is done and completed. then concentrate on to the next obstacle....

I like to buy cheap plates from the Goodwill when I get stressed throw them. 😂🤐🍽🍽🍽🍽
Naw just playing. My friend told me that one time I about died!!! Hey I don't know it may work.

When do I move up from Trail boss?! Its stressing me out?! 🙇🏽‍♀️

depends on time of year this time of year I'll swing a ax split some wood summer time I'll swing a machete. I walk the fence lines a lot if I need to clear my head it helps

I like to put the ear buds in to my favorite station and leaves blow the yard....driveway...woods.... for hours until I can't stand it anymore. 😁
Or go to the gym 🏋️‍♀️
Some time I bushhog.... dang neighbor torn up our Bushhog 😅🤣😂
I volunteer it helps.
Some days I just drive. 🏍🚘
I refuse to become another case of a pill for this and a pill for that. Although I'm sure on some temporary occasions it may help some. It also helps working through the issues too.

I lost the need to stress about things when I realized that all of the worry in the world won't make it rain.

One of the many lessons learned in 2012.

Bigfoot said:
Read up on ruminating thoughts. It's closely tied to ocd. Control the thoughts, and the stress disappears.

I have OCD, and ruminating thoughts are a killer. It's been hard to deal with it. It's funny, but I've found farming has really helped with stress, at least with things I can't control. When I have hay down, can I stop the rain? Nope, sure can't, so I can't worry too badly about it. That being said, this fall was a killer b/c it rained on the hay, then poured again on the hay. I was pretty afraid we weren't going to get it put up. It's not good, but it'll work.

Dave said:
I made the very conscious decision to not stress over things. It took some mind training on my part. Just do the best I can but not stress about the out come. If I do the best I can, well I did what I can do. Stressing about it won't change the out come one bit.

I can relate to this. I think by nature I just don't stress about things like some people do, and I didn't get into the rat race early in life. I suppose it's tough to turn 40 or 50 and realize you're stressed out all the time due to some goal, business, or lifestyle that you started to pursue when you were 20. I guess it's tough at that point. I just never got into the stressful lifestyle concerning anything of which I had a choice.

Someone was recently talking about things they enjoyed in life, and it got me to thinking. The things I enjoy most in life once a comfortable living has been met is peace, being as stress free as possible, living life without seeming like I'm in an rush all the time, spending time with family stress free, and such things as that. I love those things much more than a new automobile, fancy house, or any other material things I could own, so why bust my butt trying to always have more stuff when that's not what I equate with happiness in the first place?

herofan said:
Someone was recently talking about things they enjoyed in life, and it got me to thinking. The things I enjoy most in life once a comfortable living has been met is peace, being as stress free as possible, living life without seeming like I'm in an rush all the time, spending time with family stress free, and such things as that. I love those things much more than a new automobile, fancy house, or any other material things I could own, so why bust my butt trying to always have more stuff when that's not what I equate with happiness in the first place?

You summed up my philosophy pretty well. Administration has approached me 5 times over the last 16 months for promotion. I respectfully decline each time. The added income would not justify the added stress, aggravation and time away from the people and things I truly enjoy.
It's not just how we equate happiness, but also success. Success is far more than just financial imho.

bball said:
herofan said:

You summed up my philosophy pretty well. Administration has approached me 5 times over the last 16 months for promotion. I respectfully decline each time. The added income would not justify the added stress, aggravation and time away from the people and things I truly enjoy.
It's not just how we equate happiness, but also success. Success is far more than just financial imho.

Satisfaction is hard to place a price on.
Company did the same thing with me.
I was satisfied, not wanting to move to other locations around the country.
Lifestyle is a huge influencing factor as well, some people are trying to stay ahead of the Jones's others stuffing the mattresses.

For me nothing beats being in the boat fishing, we usually go on a trip once a year in the winter out of the country, now days getting older I enjoy going up north for a fishing trip and the wife also enjoys it, so it's a win for both of us.

Caustic Burno said:
bball said:
herofan said:

Satisfaction is hard to place a price on.
Company did the same thing with me.
I was satisfied, not wanting to move to other locations around the country.
Lifestyle is a huge influencing factor as well, some people are trying to stay ahead of the Jones's others stuffing the mattresses.

I've never really understood the guy that had to make millions and millions, working 80+ hours a week, all so they can eat the most expensive steaks, and fly in his own plane. It comes down to power and being the big shot when he/she walks into a room, but I still don't get it-never will. That being said, I'm glad there are folks like that b/c they do make some pretty big companies that employ a lot of folks. I'm just not that guy. The stress just wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd work 1 year, take the $10M+ salary and bail.

Latest posts