Pasturing corn stalk ground

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
On a more positive note about feed costs and availability - I tried an experiment last fall. As a newcomer to cattle (I have been in row crops for many years), I tried putting some electric fence around some corn stalks and pasturing the herefords on them. They seemed to love the stalks and looked good going into winter. I think if provided good water and mineral they were getting plenty to eat. In WI this saved about a month of hay feeding and just cost the price of the electric fence.

Based on this I will be putting more permanent fence around a larger stalk area. The idea of just a single electric wire between the cattle and the road kept me awake nights. Add to this the deposition of manure that doesn't need to be hauled and cornstalks that don't need to be baled and hay that doesn't need to be purchased or used and this seems like one way to help handle higher feed prices.

Based on last fall's results, I planted a taller corn variety and will ask the neighbor to harvest the stalks higher without knife rolls. Not everyone has stalks to use, but if you do it might be one way to help handle higher feed costs. Just an idea.

I see this alot around here in the fall ~ cattle being released into a field after the combine. They seem to do well.

Running cattle on corn fields after harvest is a very common practice here, as well. We've done it for quite a few years with good results. SR, I can fully understand your nervousness at having only one strand of electric fence between your cows and the road!

Corn stalks provide grazing for my cattle from October through December every year. It is a great way to take advantage of a cheap feed.

As for the electric fence, that is all I have ever used around stalk fields!! Not very often do I use the same field every year because of crop rotation. I can't see the expense of barb wire. Never had much of a problem with electric fence. Will have the occasional deer either break a wire or have an insulator or two pop off the post, but no big deal. It is amazing, however, that after using a stalk field a few times, the deer seem to get "trained" as to where the wire will be every fall.

Its a pretty common practice around here as well. I kept my cows on corn stalks from November 1 through April 1. We fed some hay the last month or two and we kept protein tubs out most of the time. Half of the cows calves on corn stalks, the rest calves after we moved them. Its way cheaper than feeding hay or pellets or any other feed.

Most guys use more than one corn field per season though. I didn't last year but I probably will this year. Use one up then move to another. It might be good to save half to use after the firsthalf is used up, that way you have some cobs and corn on the ground later and its not all used up at the begining.

The only bad part of it, especially around here is there is no water or water service so it has to be hauled. It cost me more for a guy to haul the water than they charged me for the corn stalks. And if you rent the corn stalks the farmers seem to get anxious and want to get in there and work the ground before the grass is completely ready.

Also, I heard not too far from here the crop consultants are advising against this because they claim the cattle compact the soil too much, but they don't get a commission off free manure either.

Its much cheaper than feeding hay. We never had a problem with the hot wire (cross your fingers). Most guys use hot wire around here because they are renting the stalks and almost none of the farm ground in this area has fences. But if I owned my own corn stalks, I'd probably put in more permanent fencing.

As always what goes around comes around. Many years ago, before combinding corn & baleing corn stocks was in, all farmers/corn growers in NE Nebraska grazed the corn stocks. After several inches to over a foot of snow there was nothing else other than Hay. When it was still popular to "pick corn by hand" there was an abundance of stock left in the field. We also supplemented with hay and if the temperature stayed below O for several days with chopped ear corn. Chopped by hand by me.

yes corn stalks are good winter feed for cows.they can eat the stalks an leaves.as well as fallen corn an cobbs.an itll save you 30 to 45 days hay.depending on how meny acres of stalks your grazing.an how meny cows your running on it.

I appreciate the comments and experience.

About the fencing: I am putting up a 5 wire barb perimeter fence around more stalks but will subdivide that with electric wire into smaller paddocks.

The cows seem to first look all over for fallen ears, then eat leaves, then eat the stalks. If you give them too much area they will trample all over the whole field looking for fallen ears, THEN come back for standing leaves, and only THEN eat stalks.

By restricting them to a smaller portion with the electric wire they will pretty much clean up one area then I will move them to a fresh area of the cornfield. You have to make sure they have enough to eat though. I plant mostly bt corn varieties in a continuous corn system and those stalks are tough but they do get eaten.

I will feel much better having a perimeter barb wire there though. I use an electric wire lane to givee them access back to the waterer. I think a mineralyx tub and salt is important. This is one way to reduce feed costs and get some other benefits.

It is amazing how this was common in years past but now coming back.