Whole Cow Ground Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm deciding which animal to use today. Deciding between a 11 year old or a 13 year old.

11 year old should have called in December. Shed go 1800 pounds. Big black sim. She has gotten slow in her hips/back.

The 13 or 14 year old is around 1400 pounds. She didn't do well with her calf last year. Calved in June I believe.

Each animal has to leave here by spring. One way or another.

I'm deciding which animal to use today. Deciding between a 11 year old or a 13 year old.

11 year old should have called in December. Shed go 1800 pounds. Big black sim. She has gotten slow in her hips/back.

The 13 or 14 year old is around 1400 pounds. She didn't do well with her calf last year. Calved in June I believe.

Each animal has to leave here by spring. One way or another.
I'd butcher the 1800 lb first.
Big aged cows with back trouble can surprise and go down and not get up.
The bigger the cow, the bigger the feed bill, might save a couple of nickels
a day by getting rid of her first. :)

Last edited:
I'd butcher the 1800 lb first.
Big aged cows with back trouble can surprise and go down and not get up.
The bigger the cow, the bigger the feed bill, might save a nickel a day by getting
rid of her first. :)
I like your thinking. I just hate to start feeding her and she pop a calf out.

I have some lute and dex. Would it be justified to give her the combo and get the calf out if she is bred. Or am I opening a can of worms there? Don't know the withdrawal period on either. Probably can't do it for that reason.

Thats the only reason I considered the other older cow. I know she won't pop out a calf in the next 5 weeks.

1800 lb cow would be a good amount of burger though. Thats a big push to take her too.

Latest posts