Whole Cow Ground Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
What would be the expected yield percentage for a mature cow. Say a BCS of 6 or 7.

Getting people lined up to buy ground beef, assuming I can get a couple slots. And assuming I can make it pencil out.

I am wanting to think 35%. But don't know how I got that number.

I usually figure 2/3's of 2/3's to get reasonably close without getting disappointed lol
I wasn't considering that it would be all boneless. My bad. I might adjust my formula to 1/2 of 2/3's. Which I suppose would be just a little less than 35%. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think your number is sound lol

Hahahahahaha.

Good deal. Processing costs here have increased by 40 to 50 percent. Im debating whether it would work out for the effort.

Thinking out loud here, a 850 pound cow carcass would net around 425 pounds of ground beef. Hoping thats a conservative estimate.

Thatd cost me about 650 in processing, plus whatever 30 days worth of corn would be.

At $5 per pound, I'd end up with around 1250 in my pocket after expenses.

Is it worth the effort in yalls opinion.

I tried to lowball every estimate so as to not be disappointed.

I was able to get a slot today. Theyve opened a new processor down the road from the farm here. I was able to get appointments in March. Do you need the contact info? They just started booking.

UT has been there the last week or two training them. Im going to see what I hear about them. Gives me a month to change my mind. But right now, it is the only option.

All depends on what you feel the headaches are worth. If you drop the cow off at the sale barn and pick up the check it's pretty easy.
If you get her processed. You now have processing bills, having to find buyers for the hamburger, getting the cash from them, and on and on.
If you decide to butcher the cow, you can probably figure 40% of her live at in hamburger.

To be more clear, the place i booked for the cull cow is $40 kill Bill and $0.49 cent per pound. So its definitely more worth the squeeze if the place pans out.

It was built to UT specs. Built using Grant money, so hoping it will be well ran.

This cull cow will be my test run with them. Surely thats hard to screw up.

I did get 2 additional slots for March.

Last edited:
My old faithful processor is went from 50 to 70 cents a lb with the new year. Ive got 26 appointments w him thru next March. He's been very good to us and great to work with. But he's an hour drive from the farm.

This new place is 5 minutes down the road.

I was able to get a slot today. Theyve opened a new processor down the road from the farm here. I was able to get appointments in March. Do you need the contact info? They just started booking.

UT has been there the last week or two training them. Im going to see what I hear about them. Gives me a month to change my mind. But right now, it is the only option.
I need the contact info. I had been told they weren't booking until next week.

I butcher quite a few cows every year and sell the individual cuts (All goes through USDA inspected plant). I find its closer to 40% once it's all said and done. If you do all hamburger there is a little less waste so there is a small slide there, but not much.

I butcher quite a few cows every year and sell the individual cuts (All goes through USDA inspected plant). I find its closer to 40% once it's all said and done. If you do all hamburger there is a little less waste so there is a small slide there, but not much.
Do you think 5 per lb is worth the hassel? I'm trying to do this in a way thats still legal. No USDA close by that i know of. Not that I could get a slot soon anyhow.

We do one or 2 occasionally for hamburger. We do cut out the loin (filet) and grind the rest, most all the time. If you figure that you are going to clear around 1200 after expenses, how would it not be worth it? $5/lb hamburger is fair compared to store prices here. If they pack it in 1 lb packages, and you basically have it sold, then how can that not be a fair thing? We figure that if we make 1 1/2 to 2 x what she brings at the market, then it is worth it. Plus, it gives you some more exposure to get people to want some more "better" beef.... like a quarter or a half???? Actually, doing all hamburger, you have less aggravation than if you have to deal with helping people make decisions about what cuts, how thick for the steaks....etc and so forth.
Cull prices here are in the 40's.... at $.50 a 1200 lb cow is $600 less the commission but for round figures say 600.... how much extra work is taking it to be done in all hamburger.... You still have to transport it to a destination....so picking up the meat is extra time....tell the people they have to either take delivery and pay for it on your way home from the plant.... or come pick it up.
If we could sell 6 a year for hamburger, we would do it in a heartbeat.

Latest posts