pastures after selling most of your herd

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Probably cut and bale it and keep just incase of a drought issue next year and the stockpile will be better

ResizedImage_1438474036063_zps628c5b9b.jpg

ResizedImage_1438474035083_zps4e1abb2a.jpg

Go ahead and cut and roll it, ill come get it and sell lol. No seriously id cut/bale it, and i probably would sell it, but i understand the drought thought too. If i had a good storage facility id be holding some more of mine too probably.

TexasBred":1ant7qln said:
Sky it looks way past prime. What kind of grass is it??

Its fescue and orchard and some cinnamon clover... Most is past the prime but I would feed it and supplement if drought.

skyhightree1":1f13krfw said:
TexasBred":1f13krfw said:

Its fescue and orchard and some cinnamon clover... Most is past the prime but I would feed it and supplement if drought.
Roll it while the sun's shining. :nod:

TexasBred":2twf8qsa said:
skyhightree1":2twf8qsa said:
TexasBred":2twf8qsa said:

Roll it while the sun's shining. :nod:

:lol: Under neath has a good bit of green fescue thats pretty good.

If you don't need it, don't cut it. Let all that go back to the soil naturally, in the mean time it will protect the ground from the extreme heat of the sun and your fescue and OG will be protected when it breaks dormancy here in a few weeks, which will make for better stockpile this fall and winter.

Banjo":2bw523ml said:
If you don't need it, don't cut it. Let all that go back to the soil naturally, in the mean time it will protect the ground from the extreme heat of the sun and your fescue and OG will be protected when it breaks dormancy here in a few weeks, which will make for better stockpile this fall and winter.

I dont need it but spreading the seeds will help with overseeding. I don't cut too short but if I cut it when the fescue and og start growing again it will look alot better. I hate it looking like that.

skyhightree1":19opd95a said:
Banjo":19opd95a said:

I dont need it but spreading the seeds will help with overseeding. I don't cut too short but if I cut it when the fescue and og start growing again it will look alot better. I hate it looking like that.
I understand. There is a part of me that would like to keep my farm looking like a golf course and having all the passers by bragging on how wonderful my farm looked.
One day I realized I wasn't in the golf course business...I was in the grass growing business...marketing my grass thru cattle.
I do this for a living so my decisions are based on how I can improve soil life, soil moisture holding ability, getting thru the heat of summer, and preparing for winter.

If I did anything with what you have there, I would just bushhog it up high.
Of course I'm sure you don't depend on cattle for a living so that will make your approach and mine different.

Banjo":19ptcj07 said:
skyhightree1":19ptcj07 said:
Banjo":19ptcj07 said:

I understand. There is a part of me that would like to keep my farm looking like a golf course and having all the passers by bragging on how wonderful my farm looked.
One day I realized I wasn't in the golf course business...I was in the grass growing business...marketing my grass thru cattle.
I do this for a living so my decisions are based on how I can improve soil life, soil moisture holding ability, getting thru the heat of summer, and preparing for winter.

If I did anything with what you have there, I would just bushhog it up high.
Of course I'm sure you don't depend on cattle for a living so that will make your approach and mine different.

Makes complete sense to me what you are saying... Funny thing about it is my land is off the road no one sees it but me and my family :lol: My wife has a OCD of keeping stuff neat,clean and in its place and I have one about pastures looking nice it pains me to see weeds out there :oops: Don't get me started on keeping a clean fence line. I am thinking about spraying even though I said I wouldn't. Yea, Cattle aren't my living but i love fooling with them.

I sort of have the same conundrum. Plentiful moisture till June grew a lot of forage. Go the last 29 days in July and 4 more in august without any rain and little cloud cover gives you some tough stemmy forage.

I think research shows you need strong roots to grow the tops... And it's the tops that feed the roots.....it's also well known that haying is stopping nutrients from the soil that need to be replaced when the hay is hauled off.

I'll tell you that this is the first year ever that I have made it to August and have 1/3 of my pastures in knee high grass (although it's tops are burnt and dried up) and 6 weeks behind in grazing rotation. My hopes (and belief) is that has and will aid in root development in pastures that had suffered major drought damage. I'm letting mine be. Although I am considering abandoning the rotational grazing and letting the cows search out and find the most desirable grazing until we get some hot dry weather relief. Remember the old commercial..... Don't mess with Mother Nature..... I'm getting out of her way.

Latest posts