pasture weeds this time of year

Help Support CattleToday:

kossetx

Reaction score
Morning folks, For the past 15 years I've been battling brush in my pasture and woodlands. After the 2011 drought my 30 ac pasture didn't have enough grass to worry about so weeds haven't been a concern. With the great spring and early summer we've had here in TX this year I'm turning my attention to weeds. I don't have a lot of weeds in my 30 ac pasture so I bought the chapin mixes on exit 25 gallon sprayer to run on my gator. I will use it for spot spraying more than broadcast.

My question is will I be peeing in the wind spaying this time of year? I was was thinking of just hitting them with 2-4D. I may not kill them but my thought is it won't help them either. Maybe make them sick enough to not go to seed? My grass is bahia coastal mix.

any insight here? thanks

forgot to mention mostly targeting goatweed and some silver leaf nightshade/horsenettle.

This is not the time of year now for spraying. 2-4-D is an effective tool at germination,growth and reproduction stages of broadleaf plants. After that break out the brush hog.

Seems a bit late and the ONLY reason I would spray is IF the goatweed hasn't set seeds yet..either way, spraying won't help it any more than mowing will and mowing may encourage some late Aug and Sept-Oct grass growth.
Nettle needs to be sprayed before it blooms.

Goatweed, you want to spray early, in the 3-5 leaf stage especially if it's sticking up above the good grasses.

thanks folks, i'll leave it alone for now especially since my sprayer i ordered didn't come in for this, my last week out of school.

The others are correct in that is late in the year to spray for weeds but its prime time for spot spraying some brush and mesquite trees if you have any of those left. At least it will get you comfortable using the sprayer.

Silver leaf nightshade being toxic to cattle can be a problem if there is not other forage for them to eat. We spray grazon pd in early spring.

Here is a link to a discussion on goatweed.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78864

Few STO comments.

Herbicide remedies have temperature and stage of growth restrictions posted on the container. If you mow now you will be cutting off seed pods before they mature....those that haven't already made it through the chute. I personally feel that most folks that seldom mow, wait too long in the year to do their clipping...just adding to the seeds already planted by previous crops. That helps to control future generation pests. Existing plants are in the mature state of growth and somewhat dormant anyway with hot-dry weather....not what is recommended on the container for active absorption!

The cool weather and fall rains will encourage regrowth before frost sets in and that's when you whack em since they meet the growth restrictions on herbicide containers.....don't forget your Surfactant.....soap to help the leaf absorb the herbicide.

There are different kinds of 24D. Gordon has a variety and are usually available at farm stores. I really like their Yellow Nutsedge control....gets what regular 24D ignores and around here it can be your #1 enemy....even worse than Cockleburs which respond very well to regular 24D Amine.

Folks say that 24D has no carryover but I can spray one year in the spring, when growth is most active and right now I have a weed here and there and it's been over 5 years since I sprayed my hay patches, that due to fairly frequent clipping aids in weed reproduction....course I haven't put any steel in the ground.....with that, all bets are off as imbedded seeds have an astronomical life span in the soil only to come out when the conditions are right and pester you. Was just couple of days ago a show on Dish Smithsonian channel about how long seeds last in the soil. Mind boggling!

Thanks again folks. The goatweed isn't too bad. Just in the places where the grass is poor. I've already shredded 90% of it.

15 years ago this place was overgrazed. The coastal disappeared, the weeds and brush set in. At first it was 10,000 mesquites I had to take care of. Now that's down to a few hundred a year and I get those before they're a foot tall. My biggest problems now are dewberries and pigs. I'm getting control of the dewberries but those damn pigs...

I just got a 60 gallon 12' boom sprayer. Getting ready for spring.

Latest posts