Pasture rotation is working

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I have been rotating the cows into paddocks and have seen a lot of difference.

cowsatfarm2011002.jpg

cowsatfarm2011003.jpg

what's all that green stuff growing in your pasture? I haven't seen anything that green in quite a while.

Seriously, that some nice forage. Sister girl looks like she's doing a fine job with that calf.

Texas Gal":5kfn2bjt said:
what's all that green stuff growing in your pasture? I haven't seen anything that green in quite a while.

Seriously, that some nice forage. Sister girl looks like she's doing a fine job with that calf.
:nod: Looks like the middle of December here, but its 100 deg and the wind is blowing at 30mph. Glad to see someone has some grass.

How bout some details? Frequency of rotation?
What did ya start with? Ect......

This pic was taken in early fall last year. This is the same paddock, just they could go to it when ever they wanted.

cowsatfarmfall2010001.jpg

I move them every 7 days ( every sunday). With mowing and rotation it is looking better. I just need to get my tires bolted together to drag behind the mower and then I think I will see even more improvement. It has been very wet here and the grass is growing faster than they can eat it. I have been mowing the top of the grass off just to try and keep the grass where the cows will eat it.I still have lots of work to do just need more time and money. This was not tore up. I just frost seeded everthing in and keep mowing. I had a very bad Iron weed problem ( still do ) .

I think this was a 09 pic. This place doesnt produce much grass where they are standing. IT is an alley way to water kind of.

cowsatfarmfall2009014.jpg

Assuming you are mowing with a rotary type mower and wanting to pull tires behind to spread the manure? I would suggest some type of toothed drag behind rather than tires. Nice looking pasture. It is amazing what clipping pastures right after rotating cattle out will do to improve forage quality - and carrying capacity.

Great pictures. Thank you.

Jim

Kingfisher":22drs727 said:
I would suggest some type of toothed drag behind rather than tires.
Hi Jim. Why do you suggest that drag?

Jim
[/quote]

I suggest a harrow like one of these: http://www.wingfields.com/harrows.htm to both spread manure and rake the sod. Dragging heavy tires around over growing sod damages the young tender growth and tillers you are trying to encourage, especially if the ground is a bit damp. Raking grass encourages growth. Dragging a heavy, high-friction rough object over growing grass may spread some manure but has to hurt new growth grass.

We may think of ourselves as cattlemen or ranchers but most of us are really grass farmers with 4-legged harvesting machines.

By the way here is an interesting short explanation of grass growth from Iowa State University:
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1791.pdf

jmho.

Jim

JHH:
You move every 7 days. Are you letting the cows tell you it's time to move? Ironically, I'm moving every seven days too. That seems to be a good number for this time of year.

How many paddocks do you have?

shaz":2g9svhwu said:
JHH:
You move every 7 days. Are you letting the cows tell you it's time to move? Ironically, I'm moving every seven days too. That seems to be a good number for this time of year.

How many paddocks do you have?

I look at the grass and listen to the cows if that makes sense. I have 5 paddocks and I have another 15 acres they havent been on yet at another location and I will have six-seven paddocks at this place when we get done cutting hay and it grows back alittle. This is my first year and it has been trail and error so far. I have one paddock that I think is to big right now but may be just right this fall. It is hard for me because my ground isnt a straight section. It looks like an L on the platt map and water has been a little bit of an issue but not bad. I have one new pond and one old pond on seperate places on the farm.

JHH, Same here, every 7 days, we've had good rain too. I only have about 9 acres pasture that is cut into 5 paddocks, and with 2 pairs and a BIG bull it looks great.
By the time they rotate back in i have white clover just like in your first picture plus the red clover i frost seeded is coming in strong.
I haven't dragged but i have clipped all of it.

Now if i could only afford some MAMAS.

Bill

Pasture rotation only works when you get RAIN. Just be glad you have grass in your pastures. We finally got some rain and the grass is growing good, but I'am not going to mow or drag untill summers over. I fertilized and mowed in march and got no rain till last week. Some grass is always better than no grass just my :2cents:

Sorry, highgrit, I don't agree with you. Pasture rotation shines when you get no rain. Any avaiable mostiure is letting the grass recover if you're on a 30 day or more rotation. You can finally run out, but can extend your grazing enough to make it worthwhile. That's my 2-cents worth. gs

plumber_greg":1uauh9rp said:
Sorry, highgrit, I don't agree with you. Pasture rotation shines when you get no rain. Any avaiable mostiure is letting the grass recover if you're on a 30 day or more rotation. You can finally run out, but can extend your grazing enough to make it worthwhile. That's my 2-cents worth. gs

Even with a 7 week rotation......because rains (and not nessesarly substantial) are on a 5 - 7 week interval, any grass is in survival mode. And yes, too much rain has it's own set of issues where pastures drown out or get stomped to death in the mud.

Rotation works great in ideal situations...works for a while in harsh conditions.....but isn't always the nail to hang your hat on 100% of the time. One must still adapt to the situation one has to work with.

We have been trying to learn how to rotate our cows for years. Most of the time it works good, but this year the grass just never grew back. We went 114 days with only 3/4 of an inch of rain. My wife has mowed the yard 2 times this year and really only needed to once. Our grasses won't grow without a little rain, no matter how long you don't graze it for. I'am willing to learn just tell me how to grow grass. Thanks

The problem I forgot was your lighter soils don't hold water like ours do. 114 days is a long time, like Vette said, one has to adapt to the current situation.
Last time we really ran out of pasture was 87,88,89. We always had some grass in the spring though to start on, was out in 60 days. That's when you open the rotational gates and let 'em have what they can find. We have never been as dry as they are in Texas, and evidentialy near Helena either. That makes me a not knowing what I am talking about poster. Wish I could help though. gs

plumber_greg":30vo389j said:
The problem I forgot was your lighter soils don't hold water like ours do. 114 days is a long time, like Vette said, one has to adapt to the current situation.
Last time we really ran out of pasture was 87,88,89. We always had some grass in the spring though to start on, was out in 60 days. That's when you open the rotational gates and let 'em have what they can find. We have never been as dry as they are in Texas, and evidentialy near Helena either. That makes me a not knowing what I am talking about poster. Wish I could help though. gs
Haha...not really...your just haven't been enrolled in the CEU's (continuing education units) as some of have been.

My first education was in1996 (yeah, Dad had all the "classes" dating back to the 30s). Though that was bad then had the refresher short courses in 1998 and 1999. By 2000 we thought we had the pattern down and worked it till 2006 when the "new" class started. After flunking that one for 4 years, I think I'm about to pass.........optimism is dead and fruitless..............Get the hell out while the gettings good.......Live to fight another day (if you really THINK fighting another day is worth it....) ;-) yep, I think I get the diploma by fall.

Latest posts