pasture roses

Help Support CattleToday:

tup

Reaction score
i guess i'll be sprayin pature roses tomorrow. when i was growing up we used to use old tractor oil to keep em down. whatever we are using this year, i know it will make me feel toxic, but it has to be done. just like when we fertilize, my skin feels like burn lol. i'm not whining really, but i was curious if anyone else dreads this as i do.

Wish I could control weeds and things without using chemicals also. Grazing management is helping but their are still somethings that take a more direct approach.

My job when im working for my grandpa is to kill the trees and bushes growing in the fence row. Its rough stuff especially when that stuf gets sprayed on you or you rub it in your eyes.

Tup, CattleHand, just saw something in your post that should not happen. If you are getting a burning sensation on your skin or in your eyes, you are not wearing the proper attire to be using chemicals.

Doesn't matter how old you are you should at least be wearing longsleves and long pants. Coveralls or a throwaway chemical suit would be better. Eye protection and rubber or latex gloves are also a must. A resporator would also be a good thing to have. And of course, anytime you are working outdoors in the sun you should be wearing some kind of hat.

Youngsters and even us old folks should read and know this.

http://gaps.nmsu.edu/chemical/chemical_worker.html

What are you spraying? If its getting on you there is a lot wrong with your setup. Turn the pressure down. Don't spray when its windy. Never heard of such with herbicides unless its Gramoxone and that crap will kill you. Be careful.

Have a friend of mine that even if I sprayed him with water he would have that itchy, chemical feel. In his case it's in his head

It doesnt burn on the skin. But id say Dun is right that stuff can kind of itch sometimes (whether cause it does or cause I want it to as Dun said) But id say the hardlest part is carrying that sprayer down the fence row. It gets hot out there

i hate pestasides an i wont use them at all.about 20yrs ago a guy hired a cropduster to spray for armyworms,an that was his 1st an last misstake because he was making passes over our dairy an house as we was out working an milking.an my dad was out cutting hay or something with the tractor.we basically all had to breath that crapp.well we filled a complaint with the FAA.they investagated the farmer an cropduster.well the cropduster lost his licsences to spray cropps.an that guy never hired a croppduster again.because my dad told them both that if any cows or calves died.they both would be sued an lose everything they got.a couple tears later my dad got cancer an died after the croppdusting.but we dont think they was related since he had melanoma.but we still wonder.

I'm sorry,never heard of these-could you describe or post a photo,please?

thanks vett, my task is postponed due to storms but i think i will wear gloves and mabey some old sunglasses. i'm not sure what this stuff is this year we are using but judging by the dead roses my husband sprayed last year, i am just assuming it's toxic. one thing that does make things easier on our farm is that we bought one of those mules (glorified golf cart) it's so much eaier getting around these hills. in fact it really is on it's way to paying for itself. more so than the four wheeler. we try not to mess with mother nature too much, but these roses can truly ruin valuable pasture space and praying them away won't work. but vett is so right, it won't due to not protect your skin and other sensitive areas, eyes etc. we get in such a rush sometimes, but proper gear that takes less than a minute to put on is not time wasted. i guess i just needed a reminder. :oops:

Thanks for the photo-we did have some here,guy bought some land and planted them by the gate.
they started to spred over to another place and when they were spraying Roundup on their side,some "drifted over" and took out the whole mess! Sure were pretty,tho.

It's interesting that they look just like prairie rose.

Pasture rose-It is possible to confuse Carolina rose with leafy rose (Rosa foliolosa). A greater number of prickles, longer stipules, longer petioles, and a leaflet length-width ratio of 2-1 are characters for distinguishing Carolina rose.
Prairie rose-Rosa arkansana (Prairie Rose or Wild Prairie Rose; syn. R. pratincola, R. suffulta, R. suffulta var. relicta) is a species of rose native to a large area of central North America, between the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains from Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan south to New Mexico, Texas and Indiana. There are two varieties:
Rosa arkansana var. arkansana
Rosa arkansana var. suffulta (Greene) Cockerell
The name Rosa arkansana comes from the Arkansas River in Colorado. The species' wide distribution and consequent genetic drift has led to an extensive synonymy.
The name Prairie Rose is also sometimes applied to Rosa blanda, also known as the Meadow Rose or Smooth Rose, which is also widely spread, but somewhat further to the north.

I'm kinda partial to the multiflora variety. I particularly like it when it grabs my lip or ear and tries to yank me from the tractor. I also like it when tires mysteriously go flat from imbedded thorns months after mowing. Took a real genius to introduce that stuff.

Latest posts