Pasture/ barn rental rates

Help Support CattleToday:

br_swiger

Reaction score
We have approximately 9 acres of pasture with a 40' x 70' barn that we are renting to a farmer with 17 cattle at the moment. We are charging him $230 a month. After almost a year, we believe that maybe a little on the cheap side. He's completely taken over our property. We are looking for some advice to make sure we are not shortchanging ourselves. If anyone can shine some light on rental rates it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

br_swiger said:
We have approximately 9 acres of pasture with a 40' x 70' barn that we are renting to a farmer with 17 cattle at the moment. We are charging him $230 a month. After almost a year, we believe that maybe a little on the cheap side. He's completely taken over our property. We are looking for some advice to make sure we are not shortchanging ourselves. If anyone can shine some light on rental rates it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:welcome: to Cattle Today!

What part of western Oklahoma are you in?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
br_swiger said:

:welcome: to Cattle Today!

What part of western Oklahoma are you in?

Where do you get that he is from Western OK?
I think the rental rate is way way too high. But 17 head on 9 acres is very high also.

If you are not happy about his "taking over" don't renew the lease. Find someone else. Without knowing the local rates I sure can't judge the cost/value. Go to your extension agent and see what going rates are. So much depends on the condition of the land, grass growth, what they are using the barn for (hay storage?) fences etc. We pay 1500/yr for a place that is about 20 acres, little shed barn. Spring water has been known to dry up and then we have to haul. Pay 800 /mo. for a 150 acre farm, barns, working facility etc. We crop about 20 acres in corn/sorghum in rotation with renovating 40-50 ac. orchard grass hayfields. Lot of pasture and hilly and rocks. Waterers, but then that is more money in electric bills for the wells. Pretty good fences all around.
There is a website that will show average rates in your state or your area. Don't know it off the top of my head.

farmerjan said:
If you are not happy about his "taking over" don't renew the lease. Find someone else. Without knowing the local rates I sure can't judge the cost/value. Go to your extension agent and see what going rates are. So much depends on the condition of the land, grass growth, what they are using the barn for (hay storage?) fences etc. We pay 1500/yr for a place that is about 20 acres, little shed barn. Spring water has been known to dry up and then we have to haul. Pay 800 /mo. for a 150 acre farm, barns, working facility etc. We crop about 20 acres in corn/sorghum in rotation with renovating 40-50 ac. orchard grass hayfields. Lot of pasture and hilly and rocks. Waterers, but then that is more money in electric bills for the wells. Pretty good fences all around.
There is a website that will show average rates in your state or your area. Don't know it off the top of my head.
Jan, I would sell out and lease to at those rates.

Pasture rental seems to be one of those things that is so scarce around here that people pay at least twice the avg rental rate posted by ag agencies. We were leasing a 4 acre pasture with a 4 stall horse barn and a 10 acre pasture for $450/month. The guy had 4 calves and two horses.

PASTURE FOR HORSES RUNS ABOUT $100 TO $150 PER HORSE PER MONTH. Sorry, the cap lock was on. If stalls are included, it is more. Pasture here runs about $30 to $50 an acre per year. That's average. If the fences are good, then usually more. It is hard to come by and there are always people looking for land to rent. We pay more than we should for the farm that we rent that belonged to the friend that passed away. It was set up that way because we got a very good deal and interest rate for the equipment we bought too. The thing is, we do overpay for that place.....but we also have the 125 acres that was his brothers' , which they bought this all together years ago, and we pay that widow only about 4-500 a year because she just want enough to pay the landuse taxes. The brothers died a year apart. That is all pasture/grazing. But the fences are good and it is good to work the two together. Lord only knows what will happen when the two widows are gone. They are both in the 65-70 age range. 3 girls for the one that we pay alot, 1boy, 1 girl , for the other . That daughter has had cancer and not in the best of health at her young age of 40... I expect the 2 places will go on the market as it is right off the interstate and will be good for development in the future.

A 150 or more acre farm will sell for 5,000 an acre if it is at all useable. Building lots of 1-5 acres will bring 5-25,000 an acre. Then you can turn around and find something for less than 3,000 an acre, but they don't last long on the market unless it is swamp land or straight up rock.

Latest posts