Passing afterbirth question

Help Support CattleToday:

tobemeghan

Reaction score
My Dexter calved 13hrs ago and still has the placenta and other afterbirth "hanging". Shouldn't she have passed it by now? When do I need to start worrying here? She had the calf on her until this morning and she will be milked again this evening.

Thanks!
Tobey

dieselbeef":12rbxajp said:
in about a week....pull it out then

Thanks so much for the reply! I know annoying newbies questions get tiresome after awhile but really appreciate it!

Thanks again,
Tobey

Personally, I don't pull - not sure what it's attached to. My vet recommended a shot of lut after a week. Worked for me.

If it's dragging on the ground and maybe getting caught on things, tie it up to itself so that it's about hock high. That will put a light pull on it and also keep it from being jerked out if it's not ready. The calf nursing also stimulates the process of expelling it.

What do you mean by she is going to be milked?

She is not giving just milk at the moment, but colostrum as well that the calf needs.

I have no idea but I have heard in dairies that it is illegal for them to put colostrum in the milk. That is here in Australia.

Suzie Q":bpl3geoe said:
What do you mean by she is going to be milked?

She is not giving just milk at the moment, but colostrum as well that the calf needs.

I have no idea but I have heard in dairies that it is illegal for them to put colostrum in the milk. That is here in Australia.

Thank you for your reply. As of now all of the milk she is giving is going to her calf. As she picks up production and the colostrum ends then I will milk her for my use (cheese making, etc.). Sorry for not being more clear.

Tobey

At 13 hours, I wouldn't get too excited yet. If it doesn't come out on it's own in the next few hours, I still wouldn't be too worried about it unless the cow starts to look or act sick. If that happens, you can give her an antibiotic.

Ask your Vet but if I remember right we used something like Petocin. it stimulated a contraction and she realeased it within minutes. Sure smells good after a day or two.

3waycross":t64sximw said:
Ask your Vet but if I remember right we used something like Petocin. it stimulated a contraction and she realeased it within minutes. Sure smells good after a day or two.
For sure...and imagine what's happening inside that cow at 100+ temperature. Personally....I put on a glove and go inside and start removing it...I know....some of you will disagree with that...that's fine but it especially was important with dairy cattle. Done gently without causing new bleeding and after proper sanitization there is no harm done. Dairy cattle not on a good dry cow ration seem to have many more retained placentas than beef breeds.

Thank you everyone for your input! This morning it had been almost 48hrs since she had calved and she still hadn't passed the afterbirth, it was covered with flies and really starting to smell so I decided to remove it. Everything went fine and there was no bleeding. She is eating and drinking fine and seems better without all of the flies bothering her.

Thanks again everyone,
Tobey

dieselbeef":roi1zmak said:
yeah..thats a wondeful smell aint it...yummy

Yea especially when its about 2" from your head when you are trying to milk! "yummy" indeed!!

I would give her a shot of prostaglandin. There may be some that didn't come out and the prostaglandin will stimulate contraction of the uterus and expel any remaining afterbirth.

novaman":1eadu3i9 said:
I would give her a shot of prostaglandin. There may be some that didn't come out and the prostaglandin will stimulate contraction of the uterus and expel any remaining afterbirth.

Would Oxytocin work?

Thanks!

tobemeghan":3sggdxbt said:
novaman":3sggdxbt said:

Would Oxytocin work?

Thanks!

it won't hurt.

tobemeghan":1ijq2p8a said:
novaman":1ijq2p8a said:

Would Oxytocin work?

Thanks!
No. Oxytocin has to be given within a short period after giving birth in order to be effective.

its easier for someone to gently hold some press to it and try to pull it out then for most to have access to the meds ya need to give. a vet call will cost some of us 100 bucks. worth it yeah...can i pull it out and save 100 bucks..yeah...w/o a shot/needle/. also w/o introducing any man made meds into my animals..which im agaianst unless serioulsy in need

meddling isnt always helping..when yer on a scale of 20 or less head it alot dif then when yer managing 200 or 500...besides its an use up all my free time deal instead of a living..i dont hafta have everyting on a very determined schedule or timing...and i dont have the meds on hand cuz they spoil before i use em again...

gary

Latest posts