Parthenais Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks. I have not and hadn't ran across them. Checked with the Irish Society and they believe the American registry has gone belly up and no record of American breeders. I'll check with them.

RanchMan90":16quekmi said:
Perhaps. Why would anyone double muscle their calves intentionally though?

Double muscling it the result of an inactive myostatin gene. The meat is lean with a natural tenderness and very good flavor. It is also lower in cholesterol and higher in Omega3. Being light boned the average calf will produce more product. The animals are being raised from Canada to South America and are drought, insect and disease tolerant.

Clodhopper":16quekmi said:
My question is, why do the double muscle cattle generally seem to lack the depth of body of other breeds?

I wish I knew the answer. Some of the older genetics are deeper, but for some reason I'm seeing more that are breeding away from it. I'm trying to keep the older genetics in the animals I have to keep the depth.

Clodhopper":231z7wg4 said:
My question is, why do the double muscle cattle generally seem to lack the depth of body of other breeds?

SEEM is the operative word, no difference otherwise.

ANAZAZI":2rcutqn6 said:
Clodhopper":2rcutqn6 said:

Maybe because of the additional width? It is throwing off the visual perceptions that come with staring at hatchet-azzed cattle all the time?

As I understand it the double muscle doesn't appear until @ 3-5 months so doesn't addict calving ease at least in Piedmontese and Parthenais. Different alleles of the myostatin gene are affected in different breeds. In the Piedmontese it modifies the tenderness, fat and cholestrol all for the better. I am a big fan of Piedmontese.

"Hatchet-azzed"--I like that. I call them "pointy tailed"

Rusty Faucet":2ox7ggaw said:
Very few of them around...just better choices for most cattle programs.

With my small farm I'm not trying to raise run-of-the-mill commercial animals as they don't pay the bills, so something like these might be right in my wheelhouse.

WalnutCrest":3dsse8dy said:
ANAZAZI":3dsse8dy said:
Clodhopper":3dsse8dy said:

Maybe because of the additional width? It is throwing off the visual perceptions that come with staring at hatchet-azzed cattle all the time?
Quite possibly, yes. Lots of those running around.

I have Parthenais cattle and I am located in Oregon. I am looking for more bloodlines of pure Parthenais in the USA. Do anyone know of any others in the USA? They are an awesome breed to use as a terminal cross.

slick4591":cs5kq7dl said:
Thanks. I have not and hadn't ran across them. Checked with the Irish Society and they believe the American registry has gone belly up and no record of American breeders. I'll check with them.

This is happening more and more to many of the small breeds. Part of the problem is these associations make the cost of registering is cost prohibitive.

We are beginning our 5th year of service and our registries http://www.compositebeef.com and http://www.dairycattleregistry.com have grown because of these issues and continues to grow. The fees we charge for membership and registrations are very reasonable. Our papers are being accepted Internationally.

Christina VanL":2qbu7uk9 said:
slick4591":2qbu7uk9 said:
I'm looking for a breeder to talk to. I've checked the phone numbers I've found for the US registry and they are both bad.

Irish Parthenaise Society

I have a few purebred Parthenais in Oregon if you are still interested in them.

Thanks, but I've back off them as I'm not finding them marketable except as commercial. I've spoken to a couple of people in Florida and South Carolina and have not been convinced these are for me. When I first saw your post I tried to find the guy in Colorado that has full blood embryos for sale. They were only $100 each and I came close to buying them back then, but I've apparently deleted his info.

slick4591":1qyluscw said:
Christina VanL":1qyluscw said:
slick4591":1qyluscw said:
I'm looking for a breeder to talk to. I've checked the phone numbers I've found for the US registry and they are both bad.

Irish Parthenaise Society

I have a few purebred Parthenais in Oregon if you are still interested in them.

Thanks, but I've back off them as I'm not finding them marketable except as commercial. I've spoken to a couple of people in Florida and South Carolina and have not been convinced these are for me. When I first saw your post I tried to find the guy in Colorado that has full blood embryos for sale. They were only $100 each and I came close to buying them back then, but I've apparently deleted his info.

If you do find contact info for the people with the embryos I would be very interested. Did you find anyone else in the US that has Parthenais other than Arrowhead beef?

Latest posts