Palpated the recips today

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This year we set up 30 head of cows to use as recips. Of the 30 we were able to put eggs in 28. We palpated the recips today, we called 23 safe, I am grinning from ear to ear! If I did the math right that is 82% we purchased 10 eggs from the Sinclair dispersal and out of them 9 stuck. I just can't beleive it.

Gizmom

Shadyhollownj

They were all frozen eggs. We didn't flush anything we used eggs that we purchased from the Sinclair dispersal and eggs some we had stored in the tank.

They palpated the heifers today. We used a new protocol (new to us) and we were really pleased with the results. We AI'd 22 head and called 17 safe or 77%. I had made up my mind if we didn't have a good conception rate using this timed protocol we would just catch them on a natural heat and give up on timed AI with the heifers. I think with these results we will be using this protocol on heifers again. Next week we will be palpating the muture cow herd, so hopefully we won't be dissapointed.

Gizmom

Heifers we used the Missouri Protocol also know as the Co-Synch + CIDR protocol.

An article was in the Angus April 2008 Angus Journal if your interested in reading the entire article.

CIDR in on day 0
Remove CIDR day 14
GnRH on day 23
PG on day 30
72 hours AI and shot of GnRH

The recipient Synchronization schedule was as follows:

Day 1 a.m. GnRH 2cc
Day 1 a.m. CIDR
Day 7 a.m. prostamate/Lutalyse 7cc
Day 7 a.m. Remove CIDR
Day 9 a.m. GnRH 2cc

implant 7 days later

I have these protocols and articles scanned PM me if you would like me to email you a copy.

Gizmom

I always wondered if giving factrel like you were doing TAI 2 days after lute would help ET. My vet said no but with your success I just might try it. Now do you always implant 7 days later. I sometimes have the vet come out two days in a row if cows cycle different days but its quite a pain.

shadyhollownj":1txra4mo said:
I always wondered if giving factrel like you were doing TAI 2 days after lute would help ET. My vet said no but with your success I just might try it. Now do you always implant 7 days later. I sometimes have the vet come out two days in a row if cows cycle different days but its quite a pain.

Your conception will go down considerably from our experience. I know it is not ideal, but we try to get the vet here at the same period that the cow was standing; so if she was standing AM we ask him to come AM and if PM we ask for him to come PM. We have had several times where our vet was late by 12 hours (or once he forgot so showed up the next morning) and our conception goes way down on those embryos. If you put that much money into purchasing them, why skimp on the investment when implanting them?
We had a recip that came in on Thursday around noon (she was jumping in the AM, but not standing), then a second one Friday AM. I called our vet, he will be out Thursday this week (PM) to put in an embryo in recip number one, and will palpate recip number two to make sure she has a CL, but will be back the next day to put in the embryo in recip two. Yes, I have to pay twice the mileage, but when you play this game you have to make sure everything is done as properly as possible.
Just our experience!

I see in your protocol that they want you to use two doses of semen per each service. Do you actually use that much? Have you seen a difference. I have heard that the second service is the one that matters most, any thoughts? Thanks.

Our embryologist is from Virginia we are in Florida two trips is not an option. As to using two straws it really depends we patch the cows watch for heat if when we go in she feels open we will use two straws if not one and check later. Another criteria if we are using semen from a bull we own we will use two straws both times we breed. If we are using old dead expensive bulls we will be a little more cautious on using more semen, in that case we usually use three straws total.

Firesweep I get the whole thing about implanting exactly 7 days after heat. My vet says give or take a 1/2 day doesnt matter but I feel conception is always better at 7 days. Sometimes if I have different stages of embryos I try to match that with the time difference in heats. You cant cheap out when it comes to embryos.

My question was more directed at GIZ about the factrel shot after lute if that actually helps with conception.

Shaddyhollownj

Since we started with this embryologist which has been 3 years we have given the additional shot. I believe it helps conception, but really have no comparisons to back that up. All I can offer is that this was the protocol we used and that was our results.

Gizmom

Gizmon
How many of the Sinclair eggs were out of the 5X26? If i read the Sinclair post right they were by 6807? I have seen that cow lots of times she is really good. I may try and pick up some embryos out of her, sounds like conception went really well.

We put three eggs in it looks like two stuck. We will DNA all the calves when they get here to confirm but based on palpation that is what we are calling right now. Needless to say manual palpation isn't as exact a ultrasound so hopefully we called them right.

Gizmom

Latest posts