P.S. from new beginner

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I have figured out most of the slang terms but a few.
1. Heifer: A newly born calf that has not sex yet. My definition is a really fat girl that I would not like to be with.
2. Brood Cow: I have not figured this one out.
3. Bred Back: I finally figured this one out.
4. Scours: I get this every once in a while so I figured it out.
5. Weining: I also figured this one out.
6. Tit: Same as above
7. Registered: Legal I think
8. Crossbred: Indian marrying a cowboy.
9. Ia.: Artificial semiantion
10. Steer: He has lost his you now what
11. Pink Eye: I had this in grade School
12. A pair: A cow and and a calf
13. 3's': a pair and a cow that is bred
14. Dehorned: I ain't got a clue
15. EPD.: Same as number 14
16. Caucas: same as number 15
17. Mickey Mouse: A fat mouse from Orlando That is in love with Goofy.

Central Fl Cracker":1fo7jb4o said:
1. Heifer: A newly born calf that has not sex yet. My definition is a really fat girl that I would not like to be with.

Actually a heifer (depending on the region you are in) can be a female bovine up to the age of 4 years old. Some places call them heifers, some call them heiferettes. The area I'm in has heifers, yearling heifers, 2 yr old heifers, 3 yr old heifers, then they become cows. Registered simply means they have papers from a breed organization. Some organizations require them to be purebred/full-blooded in order to be registered and some don't. EPD = Expected Progeny Difference. It's a way of estimating calving ease, birth weights, weaning weights, yearling weights, milk production, etc. based on the numbers assigned to the dam/sire according to past performance. Beyond that, I can't help you. Ia should actually A.I. - artificial insemination. Dehorning is the act of permanently removing the horns from a horned animal. (I warn you, this is not for the weak of heart or stomach if not done very early!!!) Caucas I can't help you with. Mickey Mouse is another term for b.s. operation, doesn't fly, joke, not real, etc. Hope this helps!! :)

Central Fl Cracker":1sdrtc3p said:

A Heifer is a female that has not had a calf. Her age doesn't matter; until she calves, she's a heifer.

2. Brood Cow: I have not figured this one out.

Brood cow is any cow used in the production of beef, as opposed to a milk cow.

3. Bred Back: I finally figured this one out.
4. Scours: I get this every once in a while so I figured it out.
5. Weining: I also figured this one out.
6. Tit: Same as above

Registered is an animal with a pedigree issued by a breed association. She's "registered" with that association.

8. Crossbred: Indian marrying a cowboy.

The animal is a mixture of two or more breeds.

Horns have been removed from the animal. A term most ranchers like better is "polled". That means the animal is born without horns.

Expected Progeny Differences (EPDs) are created by breed associations to help buyers and breeders identify animals that will work best in their operation. See msscamp's answer and if you want more info, let us know.

Carcass is the quality of the meat the animal produces. Meat is graded in the packing plant for quality grade and yield grade. Quality grade is basically how much marbling the animal has in the meat and yield is basically how much meat you get from the animal. The standard is usually Quality Grade: Choice; Yield Grade: 3 or less (smaller number is better here). Many grids won't discount those cattle, but won't give you a premium payment either. "Grid": formula some packers use to pay for cattle.

Naw. Mickey hasn't gained a pound in years.

Farm Angel....culled or culling is the unpleasant task of terminating your relationship with the animal...not always ending in slaughter...usually just a ride to the sale barn. Used for herd improvement. Weeding out the poor/non-producers.
Susie

Just want to clarify what Frankie said here:

Quote:

Horns have been removed from the animal. A term most ranchers like better is "polled". That means the animal is born without horns.

Now she may have meant this but, Dehorned means it had horns and they were removed with some device such as electric or mechanical devices. Polled means the horns have been bred out of the breed. Such as Horned or Polled Herefords.

Susie David":2bscdw9o said:
Farm Angel....culled or culling is the unpleasant task of terminating your relationship with the animal...not always ending in slaughter...usually just a ride to the sale barn. Used for herd improvement. Weeding out the poor/non-producers.
Susie

Not always an "unpleasant" task. I've taken some cows to the sale barn with a big smile on my face.

Frankie":u2m3l1ln said:
Susie David":u2m3l1ln said:
Susie

Not always an "unpleasant" task. I've taken some cows to the sale barn with a big smile on my face.

I've got one that is going to be culled this fall. I'll have a smile on my face when she's gone.

Ryan

Ryan":269vdnj4 said:
I've got one that is going to be culled this fall. I'll have a smile on my face when she's gone.

Ryan

I have a couple that I smile if I get them in the pen to be worked with the rest of them. As long as they stay in shape and throw good calves I just get them when I get them and don't spend a lot of time trying.

Unfortunately, some of us have no choice but to dehorn. School rules. Until I have my own property to keep my animals instead of the school farm, dehorning is a requirement. Already breaking the rules with a bull out there, but someone would flip if there was a bull WITH horns. I would have liked to keep the horns in, I think Brahmans look really cool with horns when their older (bulls do).

dehorning is not any worse than cutting a calf with a knife. i do mine when they are 2 months old.

Orerancher":3fgddiqq said:
Dehorning??? That's just wrong :D

If your post is an accurate indication, I'm guessing you have never seen what a horned animal can do to a polled animal. Otherwise, I'm guessing you are being facetious!

Messcamp.
You should see what horned cattle can do to other horned cattle! Not to mention the damage to fences,feeders...
And there's nothing like havin a momma cow lay a horn along side your head at 4:am when your "workin" her newborn calf!

I would strongly suggest that most people stay away from horned breeds! They are nothing but trouble!

However I'm gonna keep mine :D

Lots of horns out there - HH, Lims, Brahms, LH, Holsteins, Ayreshires, Blondes, Highlands, Shorthorns, Simms, Lims and so on.

I would venture to suggest - I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong - there are more horned breeds out there than polled breeds.

Orerancher wrote:

They are nothing but trouble!

As for what they can do - usually they do nothing. For the uninitiated most horned animals simply use a shake of the head to move the less dominant animal out of the way.

I have to disagree with the general comment despite the fact you have 'em yourself :D - too many folks out there raising them. All in what you are used to and how you are set up. Need for more folks to see this.

Unfortunately the myth is continually being propogated.

And I know you are used to horns. 8)

Bez

Latest posts